Extend wheel base on 94 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Extend wheel base on 94

Reaction score
City, State
Port Huron, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 explorer, 4wd, MT, 4DR
I want to trim the rear wheel openings for larger tires. I have searched to find how much the whole rear opening can be trimmed (and not interfere with the rear door) but I have not found what I am looking for.

Something I thought about would be to move the rear axle back about 2" then cut the back half of the wheel opening larger. Is there a leaf pack that would bolt into this vehicle that has the centering pin 2" back or a leaf spring perch that would accomplish this?

Thank you for your help or links.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You could just drill an offset hole in the spring pad.

100_0269_zps2b902602.jpg

I want to trim the rear wheel openings for larger tires
What size you thinking? With enough lift that much trimming isn't needed

Depends on how much tire.

I have a 2" lift and 32's ; no where near needing a trim.

You could probably go as big as 32" stock (no lift) for street use with no trim. May have to curl the edges under if you want the tire tucked under the fender. With the right back-set should be doable.

You thinking prerunner or street? It is 2wd right?

FR425--"You thinking prerunner or street? It is 2wd right?"

I will be using it off road. It is a 4wd. I want to cut the front and rear wheel opening as large as possible. Tire size will be determined after cutting.

Drilling the spring pad with another center pin hole.........Can it be drilled 2 or 3 inches back?

What about different leaf packs?

FR425--"You thinking prerunner or street? It is 2wd right?"

I will be using it off road. It is a 4wd. I want to cut the front and rear wheel opening as large as possible. Tire size will be determined after cutting.

Drilling the spring pad with another center pin hole.........Can it be drilled 2 or 3 inches back?

What about different leaf packs?

You could probably go 2" Maybe 2.5" on the offset hole.

Dunno on the spring packs. grab your tape measure and hit the Junk Yards.

Guy's have used f-150 springs, but for lift, not offset.

Maybe Jeep XJ, ZJ I believe those are the right width, not sure on the length though.

Even though it is called a "center" pin; they are not in the center of the spring in most cases, So you are on to something.

I have also seen fiberglass fenders around. Cut up your own & bolt them on. The guys at James duff might have some.

Even though it is called a "center" pin; they are not in the center of the spring in most cases, So you are on to something.

That's what I'm thinking. Flip the leaf pack around, front to back. If they are like my Ranger leafs, the front 'half' is shorter than the back 'half'.
I don't recall anyone ever doing this or even thinking about though, so maybe there's a reason?

Pretty sure the "eyes" are the same.

Haven't measured but just a guess; it's like 4" (2" too much)

Just not popular to lengthen the wheel base; even on a sport.

Plus the expense of getting a 4dr drive shaft to cut to size.

Good mod for a street racer though.

The axle is a bit forward in the wheel well when you pack it full of rubber.

Pretty sure the "eyes" are the same.

Haven't measured but just a guess; it's like 4" (2" too much)

Plus the expense of getting a 4dr drive shaft to cut to size."
------------------------------------------------------------------

I like the idea of switching the leafs from end to end. If this pushes the axle out 4 inches that is ok. MAYBE.

Back to the original question, "How large can the rear be opened up, both in length and height (up the body side towards the glass)?"

Follow up question, "What is the largest the front fenders can be opened up?" Without interfering with the inner fender or firewall. Not concerned about the bumper.

This will not be a daily driver but it will be street driven (couple times a month) along with the bronco and used as another off road toy.

Looks like I either go dig the 2' - 4' snow from around it and start cutting and do a thread or wait for warmer weather so I can get it closer the garage and start later. I think later. To cold outside.

That's what I'm thinking. Flip the leaf pack around, front to back. If they are like my Ranger leafs, the front 'half' is shorter than the back 'half'.
I don't recall anyone ever doing this or even thinking about though, so maybe there's a reason?

Somewhere on here, there is a green explorer with extended wheelbase done just like that.

Somewhere on here, there is a green explorer with extended wheelbase done just like that.

Ive done it on accident on just one side..could tell right away it was wrong tho..pretty sure it put the pinion at a crazy angle also.

Couldn't say how much you can cut out of the fenders.

If you remove the front fender it will become clear.

On the rear it just depends on how much metal work you want to do.

Go to far and you open up the wheel tub. (open to the interior)

So if you look at the rear wheel tub, however high you can cut without cutting into the tub would be the limit.

Back