93 Explorer bad gas?

shorty423

Reaction score
City, State
Greeneville, TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 Explorer Eddie Bauer
The problem
I put it in drive and begin to accelerate everything is fine for just a few seconds and suddenly it feels as if I have let off the throttle and then back on and as my speed rises it is really rough and it seems to shift kinda low according to rpm's.

A little back story
The gas hand was just about on E so I pulled into the gas station and put about $20 in it and about a mile or so down the road I realize I'm having issues.

To be a little more informative, At idle if I mash the gas it revs up pretty rough, It's kinda like a studder. Also if i'm cruising around 50 mph and I try to pass someone it seems to have no power, It will downshift but the rpm's barely change.

BTW This is not a constant thing sometimes it will drive fine for 5 mins and then like crap and then fine, Also it seems to be worse when in overdrive.
Sorry this is so long, I just want to cover everything which reminds me. Full tuneup recently excluding fuel filter and plug wires just getting that out of the way.

Thanks for all advice and help!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Just sounds like water in the gas, it'll clear up.

You could add "HEET" Fuel line antifreeze and water displacer.

You probably bought gas right after the fuel truck was at the station and stirred up the water and sludge in the underground tanks.

I have bought some already and put it in the day after, Which was about two or three days ago and burned through about a quarter of the half a tank I had because I added more fuel to help dilute it if it is water. My plan is to basically just run it almost dry then put another $15 or $20 in it and hope for the best.

I am glad that it seems like a simple issue, I will update the situation when the gas is gone.

Alright so I'm beginning to wonder if its something bigger because i ran all the gas out And put 6 more gallons of 90 octane non ethanol gas as well as some Lucas deep clean fuel system cleaner and drove it A few miles and so far no change. Also a better Way to describe the issue is basically no power. Usually in drive if i put the pedal down mostly to the floor it will make the tires spin but now if i floor it it just slowly chugs along. Could it be a vacuum leak? Something restricting air flow?

1. Change Fuel Filter.
2. Test fuel pressure.
3. Check all vacuum lines from the Christmas Tree.
4. Pull codes.
Do #4 above first. If you don't have codes, then do 1, 2, & 3. Most would agree. With issues like yours, the first place to start is getting the codes and then doing the visual inspection.

My 1992 has just suffered from bad fuel. I drove my mechanic crazy this last week trying to find the problem. I have a 50 mile commute that is 65% highway miles at speeds over 65mph. My first inkling was during my ride home it would not easily maintain speed up steep inclines, it would stumble, rpm's would fluctuate, and it felt like I would have to coast to the shoulder. Once off the toll road and on local roads it was worse, starting from complete stop was torture, had to use very little throttle to gain speed and when I would come to a stop I put it in neutral and it would race like a champ.
My mechanic recommended I use a can of sea foam in the fuel tank, I guess I expected immediate results, don't, I was able to drive the tank with Seafoam to the last 1/4.
I am now on the first refill and all is fine.

Alright so I'm beginning to wonder if its something bigger because i ran all the gas out And put 6 more gallons of 90 octane non ethanol gas as well as some Lucas deep clean fuel system cleaner and drove it A few miles and so far no change. Also a better Way to describe the issue is basically no power. Usually in drive if i put the pedal down mostly to the floor it will make the tires spin but now if i floor it it just slowly chugs along. Could it be a vacuum leak? Something restricting air flow?

Sorry I did not see all of your posts before I added mine. My mechanic went through many if not all of the steps above, my fuel pump was replaced 3 weeks prior, fuel filter same time, he checked all the codes, every sensor, etc.
I think that not filling the tank may be working against your efforts as you are not diluting the moisture or whatever is in your tank.

I have had the fuel pressure tested and it was at 40 psi, and for anyone who doesn't know it is supposed to be at 65! So I'm in the process of changing the fuel pump but I somehow have lost the place for the second strap to bolt into.its almost done I just can't get the second strap to bolt I'm anywhere.

I have had the fuel pressure tested and it was at 40 psi, and for anyone who doesn't know it is supposed to be at 65! So I'm in the process of changing the fuel pump but I somehow have lost the place for the second strap to bolt into.its almost done I just can't get the second strap to bolt I'm anywhere.
Hopefully its your fuel pump! Can't wait to hear how it turned out! When my second pump went I just did the access panel...pretty sweet

Alright folks! I have a very important question/question's but first! The new fuel pump is in and thankfully it works! But although the performance is a little better, After driving about a mile or so the check engine light comes on and as I stay on the gas I get this horrible vibrating and roughness and then the rpms will rise.

Also, The catalytic converter closest to the muffler gets bright red after a few mins. Would that cause these problems?

New fuel filter and pump new plugs new air filter all of that. There is a small vacuum leak but I dont see it causing this? PLEASE HELP!!!
BTW Crap for gas mileage too!

Alright folks! I have a very important question/question's but first! The new fuel pump is in and thankfully it works! But although the performance is a little better, After driving about a mile or so the check engine light comes on and as I stay on the gas I get this horrible vibrating and roughness and then the rpms will rise.

Also, The catalytic converter closest to the muffler gets bright red after a few mins. Would that cause these problems?

New fuel filter and pump new plugs new air filter all of that. There is a small vacuum leak but I dont see it causing this? PLEASE HELP!!!

Oh yes, Had the first cat on mine collapse, melt, whatever and all the honeycomb bits were plugging up the rear cat. The front cat was completely empty!

Ran like it had a potato stuffed in the pipe!

Wish I took pictures!

Had the same issue with 88 ranger w/2.9. It was the fuel pressure regulator. Does the tail pipe smell like gas? You said fuel mileage is way down. You are dumping to much fuel. Yes it is possible for the FPR to go bad and the vac hose not be wet. Happened to me twice. Once on 88 ranger and once on 04 Pontiac Montana. Rubber vac line was not wet from gas even thou FPR went bad.

Alright I no longer have a catalytic converter and it does run better but it still does the little flutter thing once I hit about 60mph I am beginning to think maybe the fuel pressure regulator is in fact the culprit. I do have a vac leak that I am going to try and fix and maybe see about replacing the fpr. Thanks for the help and please let me know what your thoughts are, Maybe I am missing something here?

BTW No the tail pipe just smells like exhaust although the exhaust is VERY HOT but that seems to be normal, Plus it has been that way since we got it.

Okay so its not the fpr either basically the only thing left is the computer and I doubt that's it either. if there is anyone who can help please do you pretty much are
the last hope for this explorer

Back