This could save your life | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

This could save your life

That must be the one I saw talked about somewhere. Super cheap made in China, but works really well for what it is. The article made me want one.
Maybe I'll look into how prevalent ham is here, and if there's repeaters here.
Rick, any tip on how I would find out?

Previous Discussion in Ham Radio Forum

What's nice you can also look in RepeaterBook and see what repeaters are available in the area..

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Will either of these radios work on the frequencies that KOH and other desert racers use?

The Baofeng handheld will. The Kenwood might have to be "changed" to be able to talk on those frequencies but it should receive them just fine as-is.

Hate to be a doom and gloomer, but I couldn't imagine living in CA without amateur radio... What do you do when the communications network goes down in an earthquake? How would you let your loved ones know where you are, or if you're ok should the bridges go down and you can't get home??

If I'm driving JP...No Problem:D
If I'm driving F150...It' gonna be a long trip but doable:)
If I'm in the Focus......I'm toast:(

Percentage of driving which car to work
JP:0.1%
F150: 1.9%
Focus:98%

It's not looking good for me:banghead:

I know use the search button.... lol. But is there a thread on cb use and lingo? I have had 3 different ones and I cant ever seem to Install them correctly to get out farther than 10' or so ? I used Google to look it up but its a few videos and I followed them as well as I could. I got frustrated and sold all 3. Any ideas on where best to mount the antenna?

There are also free study guide apps for your smartphones. That is what I use and I have found them to be easier to use than the online ones. I still suck at the test though but I am going to try this year to get my license. I already have the radio equipment.

Any recommendation for good Study Apps? I've tried a few and wasn't really impressed they were just questions and they let you know if you were wrong or right. I'd prefer some explanations as it'd be more beneficial and help me remember more.

I know use the search button.... lol. But is there a thread on cb use and lingo? I have had 3 different ones and I cant ever seem to Install them correctly to get out farther than 10' or so ? I used Google to look it up but its a few videos and I followed them as well as I could. I got frustrated and sold all 3. Any ideas on where best to mount the antenna?

Try posting your questions in this forum:
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=7

This thread was to get the offroaders interested in ham radio.

there are a few different ham models that can also talk on cb channels. just look for the correct features.

K thanks Rick. You guys are awesome! !!!

I know that this thread is one month old but I have question. How busy is the FM side of the 11 meter CB frequency? I have a, very old now, Ranger CB that does AM, FM, and sideband. This type of a radio might be the solution some of you are looking for by staying on 11 meters. You will have to learn what frequency range you are allowed to talk on because it goes way above and below the 40 channel CB range. Anyway I said of this because 20 years ago the FM side of CB's was virtually empty. I just didn't know if it was now.

My CB is so old I can't find a picture of it on the net. LOL But here is the model number that they currently make that is similar in functions. RCI-2950DX. I know some will kick on the price but I'm not saying buy this radio, only consider FM. Like I asked, is FM now that busy?

FM on CB is illegal in the United States. The CB radios that are sold here and have FM are gray market radios.

Back