A/C only blows thru Defroster Vents | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

A/C only blows thru Defroster Vents

craig722

Reaction score
City, State
Alachua, fl
Year, Model & Trim Level
'07 XLT
My truck is a 2007 XLT with 53K and was built in Feb 2007, so it is just out of warranty. Just started blowing A/C air out of the defroster vents, with a small amount coming out the center console and the left and right upper vents near the side windows. I took it to the dealer for diagnosis and was told I had a cracked evaporator case around the center door pivot behind the center conslole. Cost to repair was going the be $1565 for a new evaporator case and labor to pull the dash. That cost me $95 for the news.

Came home and got on the site and read everything I could find on no air flow out of the center console vents. I tried a new Vacuum Check Valve for $15 from the dealer. Same problem. Used the info on the site to remove the center console cover around the radio. Very helpful thankfully. Noticed that there is another swinging door behind the center console vents. It didn't seem to be controlled by anything and just swung easily front to back depending on the direction of air passing over it. I then removed the plastic trim on the drivers side below the center console, the trim around the steering wheel and under the steering wheel and some steel supports under that to get a good look at the vacuum powered actuator.

I powered up the truck and observed how the arm on the actuator responded when I selected Max A/C, defroster, outside vent, regular A/C, etc. The arm moved OK, but had no effect on the position of the door and air never was passed to the center console vents. However, when I had the system set to Max A/C or reg A/C and I manually pushed the door to the rear, there was enough suction (especially when the fan speed was set to 3 or 4) to hold the door back and air now flowed out the center vents and to right and left side window vents.

To get the defroster vents working I moved the control knob to off, the suction holding the door to the rear was released and then I selected Defroster and the door was blown forward and the air was sent to the defroster vents under the front windshield. Turning the fan speed down to the 1 or 2 position would probably release the door too, and then you could then select the defroster position.

So being a cheap Charley, I now use a quarter inch diamater dowel cut the the right length sticking thru the left vent to push the door back when I need front console A/C. Air pressure keeps it in position until I turn off the engine or the system or turn down the fan speed to 1 or 2.

Never could find any crack in the evaporator case, but I'm sure that door should be controlled by the adjacent vacuum actuator. In these tough economic times "in the field repairs" are a necessity to keep the wheels rolling. A/C to the People!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I only have a second gen X so im not very familiar with the 07s, but i do know some explorers had issues with the blend door in the hvac system breaking free, which then would cause it to not blow air outta different vents. From what it sounds like, i think thats the issue here. Search around the forum for blend door repairs, iv seen a couple writeups about it, that should get you pointed in the right direction.
When i had issues with my 99 only blowing outta the defroster vents, it was because of that vaccum check valve, but since thats been replaced on yours already, and you see an issue with the door, id start looking in that direction.

Thanks for responding to my post. The blend door you are referring to is behind the glove box. The door I'm talking about is behind the center console vents. I think it should be controlled by a vacuum powered actuator that can be seen after removing the trim pieces under the steering wheel.

I had this problem in my 2005 XLT. I saw somewhere else it is called the "mode" door. The small plastic pin the actuator was connected to on the door was broken. I drilled a hole on the door part where the pin was and ran bailing wire through the actuator and the hole, twisted the wire, cut off excess and now it works as it should.
Paul

Remember my EX is a 2007. I looked under under the dash from the drivers side and could not see any broken parts around the actuator much less actually drill any holes. I could hardly even put my hand into the confined space. I had the plastic panel under the steering wheel off, some metal supports under that removed, and the central console bezel removed. Just too tight for me to do much, so I closed it up and went with the stick.

Sorry, saw '02 XLT under your name. Still should be the same door. I went in through the passenger side. I dropped the glovebox down, and looked towards the center console, right under the stereo. There are 2 actuators in mine. The one that wasn't working was the top one. If you had been talking about the '02, it should have been the exact same, not sure on the '07, but it should be close to the same.

Paul

I've updated my profile now. I had a similar problem with my blend door on my 02. Mine had not fallen down, but it did not move to the right position for MAX A/C. I was able to use a zip tie over the actuator arm and hold it permanently closed. The door I'm talking about in this post is directly behind the center console vents above the shifter. The actuator for this door is visible from the drivers side after removal of the plastic panel under the steering wheel. Thanks for looking.

I've updated my profile now. I had a similar problem with my blend door on my 02. Mine had not fallen down, but it did not move to the right position for MAX A/C. I was able to use a zip tie over the actuator arm and hold it permanently closed. The door I'm talking about in this post is directly behind the center console vents above the shifter. The actuator for this door is visible from the drivers side after removal of the plastic panel under the steering wheel. Thanks for looking.

This is for the A/C out the defrost only, not the driver's side being warmer than passenger when dual climate is not enabled. Right?

I've got the same problem in my '08. There's a vacuum actuator behind the dash that opens and closes the main vents for dash or floor / dash flow and closes them for heat / defrost flow. There's a very small and very brittle plastic eye-ring on the vent door that attaches to the vacuum actuator that eventually breaks and disconnects from the actuator. Pull the center dash surround, radio and a/c controls and you will see it on the right hand side of the center console vent door.

It's a b!tch to get to though as it's about 8" back from the recess opening. To make matters worse, Ford does not sell just this door and even if they did, you would have to take the whole dash apart to replace / repair it.

There's three ways to fix this....

1 - get a plastic dowel rod and poke it through the left side vent in the console and pop the vent open. Leave the dowel in there to prevent the door from closing. Pull it out when you want it closed.

2 - Spend $400 at the Ford parts counter for a new dash vent assembly. Rip your dash apart, replace the assembly, reconnect the actuator and enjoy until it breaks again.

3 - Find said assembly in a junk yard and repeat the process for option 2.

I went with option 1 as I usually have the dash or dash / floor combination going 24x7x365....

Brilliant

So I had the same problem with ac not coming out of any of the front vents (left/center/right) and took to the dealership. They quoted $1700 for a full replacement of the plenum assembly. The part is about $400 and the labor $1300 because they have to rip the entire dash apart to put it in. Ridiculous. I was pretty panicked until I read these posts. It sounded like you guys had the same issue, so I thought I'd try the dowel method. Went to Lowes and $1 later had my fix. Worked like a champ. Doesn't even look that bad (my wife wants me to spray paint it black).

dowell.jpg

Thanks again. You guys saved me about $1699.

Hi RSCOTT1978
Glad you were able to use this little trick. The guys at my local Ford dealer wanted to know what the stick was for when I had the truck in for service. After I told them, they just kind of lost interest. Don't forget that if you want the defroster to work properly, the door has to be closed, so you have to pull the stick out a bit. I usually pull out the stick, turn the system off for about 5 seconds, turn the fan down to 1 and then turn the control knob to the far right defroster position. You can then increase the fan speed as needed. I cut my dowel so that I have about 1" sticking out from the air deflectors for easy handling. Some black tape over the end and it blends in pretty well. On hard acceleration the stick does come sliding out sometimes. Like I said before " A/C to the People"

This is BRILLIANT!!! I forgot to post back. My elderly father called me from across the country this summer about how is A/C only blew out of the defrost vent. He got quoted some crazy price. $1200+. He has a 07 Sport Trac. I found this thread. Called him and 5 minutes later he called me back praising me for saving him.
I just wanted to say thanks from him and I and give credit where credit is due. THANK YOU!:thumbsup:

Thanks for the positive feedback Markaplace73. Just hope there aren't a bunch of people driving around with this problem. Power to the NET and those that know how to use it for everyday problem solving.

I employed the dow method for a while, but yesterday I fix the problem with a drill and a wire tie. A/C fix

Good job Texas Armadillo......way to painful for me right now. Maybe when I go to trade it, I'll have to get 'er done correctly. Take care!!

Was ready to junk it!

I know, that seems like overkill, but with spring allergies and crappy A/C, I was miserable. This was the final straw. I'd already replaced the rear blend door (for the rear A/C issue that other folks have written about) and it's back to clicking again if I move the temp dial away from a precise 7/8 full cold setting. But to lose A/C from the front vents?!? No way, this was it. But, as usual, you guys showed me the light.

Thanks!!

A/C blowing through Windshield under Load .... Fixed

2008 Explorer had the A/C blowing through defrost/windshield under load. Checked EGR and replaced. EGR valve had a leak and system could not hold vacuum.

Okay, glad I found this thread. I just purchased a '08 SportTrac 2 days ago and am having this A/C front vent problem too. I guess I did not notice it fully during the purchase but noticed it last night only blowing thru the defrost vents. We're taking it back to the dealership to see what they can do. I also sent this thread to my sales agent to forward to his technicians. I hope the Nissan tech guys can fix a Ford problem. I'll let you know the outcome.
Also, having a problem with the "Tire Sensor Fault" light coming on at higher speeds (above 60 mph) but I supposed that is for another message thread.

I have to bump this thread because I had the same problem and fixed it VERY easily (and without having a wooden dowel in my vent)....

For me this is what I had to do to get my A/C blowing back out the normal vents and not out the defroster vents in my 2001 Ford Ranger XLT 4.0L

1. - Look under the dash in the area of the glove box (passenger side) with a flashlight.

2. - Locate lose dangling vacuum line (mine must have gotten knocked lose or slipped off somewhere).

3. - Locate the vacuum line valve also in the same area that this line used to attach too (the line is very short so just look in the area where it can reach, you'll find it).

4. - Plug the vacuum line back onto the empty nipple on the bottom of this vacuum valve.

5. - Enjoy A/C blowing back in your face like it should!

That's my version of a step by step guide. :D Hope it helps someone. I would have paid good money to find that tip a few years ago... it would have saved me tons of work! Haha... sometimes it's the simple things! :thumbsup:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Mine did this under load (accelerating or uphill accelerating especially) would switch from vents to defroster.

Fixed a bunch of vacuum leaks that didn't work and then replaced some check valve they said. Fixed the issue. They replaced a vacuum canister as well. Only billed me for that the rest was free. Real troublesome issue though they couldn't figure it out.

Back