iOS 7? How's it with MFT | Page 6 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

iOS 7? How's it with MFT

For me as a manufacturer, I would be pushing for a standard to send video and commands to control a phone way before I would lock myself into another contract with a vendor that I had to maintain their software installs.

It's not that hard.... most phones have HDMI out now. Simply connect that or even better over a wi-fi network to transmit the video and then BT commands to control the phone from the vehicles head unit.

Pioneer is essentially doing this with their head units, except they lock them down to specific applications, but there are ways around that currently.

Using Apple's Carplay wouldn't require the auto manufacturer to maintain software installs when all the information is coming from the car owners iPhone. On the other hand, the software itself installed in the vehicle to run the display will have to be updated.

I think eventually the wireless route will be the main way to connect and mirror your phone to your vehicle's display, but the technology isn't completely there yet for vehicles. Apple is still working on wireless connections for Carplay. Android doesn't even have anything like that yet. I doubt we will ever see anything that will work with all phones because companies like Apple, Google, etc are starting to compete against each other for the car market.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

True. It's a shame they are making it harder to reach a standard by all their fighting.

they aren't.. CarPlay is just added functionality to existing OEM infotainment systems. It's not replacing the entire infotainment. The unit will have it's own UI, features, functionality, it will just also be able to handle Apple's CarPlay...

CarPlay is just the ability to stream Apple's CarPlay UI, and apps to the deck, it's not a replacement for the in-car system. I think that there are a lot of misconceptions about what CarPlay is or how it works. You have to have an iPhone to use CarPlay, but you don't have to use CarPlay to use the car :)

Think of CarPlay as an App running on MFT... MFT is still there (all same functionality, maps, etc), there's just an app that lets you stream the Apple UI to the screen if you want.

You are bang on with this explanation, most people don't get that this isn't a replacement for the vehicle's native multi media operating system or user interface. Its simply another option for iPhone users (people who drink the KoolAid) to push the Apple iOS 7 or 8 up onto the vehicles display screen and control it using the vehicle controls with the phone tucked out of site.

and 13Sport, look they stole your iPad idea......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SMX741OT0gg#t=12

I think the girl in the video is same girl from Seinfeld episode "Man Hands"

iOS 7.1 update today....so far works great no issues.

Still have text messaging support.

Tried mine and notifications are working. Also, maps now supports HFP output on Bluetooth to enable you to be listening to radio and just have the iPhone jump in when directions come up before returning you to your source.

I don't want anyone's operating system in my car head unit.

I want my phones display mirrored on my head unit and then being able to control my phone via touch on the head unit. Done.... no more headache for the OEM's. Program to an industry standard API for connecting and controlling the phone and you're done.

Keep FM/AM/XM and HD radio built into it (with maybe sd slot to store music) and call it day. No need to keep updating their software.

Then, the Apple fanbois will maybe stop complaining about their Apple stuff not working with applications that cater to their device (MFT and MyLink, etc.) and Android can maybe get in on some lovin too! ;)

THIS is what I want...

Q-UXDi3dm3U

Has anyone been able to find even 1 Ford with this installed? I'm dying to know if it actually works..

Has anyone been able to find even 1 Ford with this installed? I'm dying to know if it actually works..

With what installed?.....CarPlay?

I don't believe its officially released yet is it?

Not sure if Ford is on the list of early adopter automotive brands.

Might be part of Apple's September 9 Event, you never know.

I'm more nervous about iOS8 being released shortly and if thats going to play nice with v3.6.2 or whatever is next MFT release. Supposed to be one more before end of 14.

With what installed?.....CarPlay?

I don't believe its officially released yet is it?

Not sure if Ford is on the list of early adopter automotive brands.

Might be part of Apple's September 9 Event, you never know.

I'm more nervous about iOS8 being released shortly and if thats going to play nice with v3.6.2 or whatever is next MFT release. Supposed to be one more before end of 14.

I've had no problems w/ iOS8 and 3.6.2 thus far... works the same as iOS 7/7.1.x

I've had no problems w/ iOS8 and 3.6.2 thus far... works the same as iOS 7/7.1.x

Ah yes I forgot you guys get Beta versions of iOS8.

Is the text messaging still working through MFT?.....mine is gone with iOS7.1.2

Master Reset didn't fix it, complete re-pairing, just can't be bothered to do a battery + pull anymore.

Will wait for next gen with QNX

Ah yes I forgot you guys get Beta versions of iOS8.

Is the text messaging still working through MFT?.....mine is gone with iOS7.1.2

Master Reset didn't fix it, complete re-pairing, just can't be bothered to do a battery + pull anymore.

Will wait for next gen with QNX

Text messaging works fine for me in both 7.1.2 and 8.. No send but notifications and receiving works

Back