• Register Today It's free!

1994 Explorer Tail Pipe

JUNO

Reaction score
City, State
Currently on the Illinois-Wisconsin State Line
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 Explorer XLT 4x4
trying to replace the tail pipe on my 1994 Explorer. Can't figure out how it's suppose to thread through the rear suspension and hang from the rear hanger. If someone could post a diagram or picture would be great. does it go over or under or through the rear leaf? Does it go past the rear shock, passenger side between shock and spare or between shock and link or link and leaf? (Or between which parts, trying to do this from memory at the moment, not under truck looking at suspension parts.)

I got the tail pipe section from rear of muffler back. I found I can get it pretty close in several ways I've tried but things just don't add up, such as going through the rear leaf. That worries me thinking too much compression of that spring will crunch it so that can't be right I wouldn't think.

it goes over the axle on the passenger side and comes out behind the passenger rear tire above/inside the leaf spring. stock, there is no worry of it gettign crushed because of teh axle bumpstops
with mine i have a few inches above and below the pipe and teh axle only has like 2 inches of up travel before it hits the bump stops.

I'm assuming I have to bend that bar that's welded to the top of the tailpipe that slips into the hanger at the end of the tailpipe since it doesn't really fit comfortably in any position. So the way I understand it now, you say it goes behind the passenger rear tire and through the spring to it's final resting point. That would be between the tire and the drop link, so nothing between the tire and tailpipe except the spring which it goes through. I wasn't sure if that's the way it went, or if it went behind the drop link and in front of the shock. Right now it's warmed up a bit outside and the snow is melting. Every time I go out I end up laying in about six inches of water that gets very cold very fast! Tomorrow should be about another 10 degrees warmer, near 40 so think I'll wait until then for the final push to get it done. Thanks again.

Looks to me like it should have gone between the drop link and shock since it's not lining up very well at all with the hangers. The tail pipe bangs against the drop link both ways I run it, but around the back side it fit in the hanger by the muffler a lot better than it does now.

Back