1999 EB SOHC Running Hot after new thermostat, housing, sensors | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1999 EB SOHC Running Hot after new thermostat, housing, sensors

vandy96

Reaction score
City, State
Mclean, VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Eddie Bauer 4WD
I have a 99 Eddie Bauer SOHC, around 135K miles. I recently completed a massive repair job after the dealer told me they wanted $1,100 to replace my thermostat housing. Original diagnostic came after the truck dying on me 2x and had to have it towed.

I just finished replacing the thermostat housing (with new thermostat and dual sensors), new water pump, upper and lower radiator hoses, new fan and fan clutch, new spark plugs & wires, new alternator. Loaded it up with fresh 50/50 antifreeze; thoroughly cleaned the throttle body.

Started it for the first time and temp gauge almost immediately went to mid-range and then continued to climb. Did some more research and learned that I may have an air bubble at the sensors. So, burped the coolant system by elevating the front end and using a Lisle 24680 Spill-Free Funnel. Ran the truck for about 15 minutes and got 2 pretty sizable bubbles up through the funnel.

Thought I had it solved as the temp gauge stabilized at mid-range and did not climb. Drove it around the block and the temp gauge continued to climb. Never hit the red zone, but got close. Parked it in the driveway where it sits until I can figure this out.

Looking for any suggestions as what I may have missed!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

these engines can be difficult to "burp". i suggest you let it cool off and check the coolant level again. i had changed a lower rad hose on my SOHC and had the front elevated on ramps. after refilling the rad i let it idle for 15 mins but the temp gauge never moved off COLD. i know it had air trapped in it, but only a trip around the block made it hot, and then it immediately went to full HOT almost instantly. it also puked so much coolant into the overflow tank it blew the top off. i had to wait for it to cool down before returning home. i let it cool off and then it took another 1/2 gallon of coolant and was fine after that.

pumping air

On the SOHC V6 when you remove the water pump the coolant in the block drains out. To get the air out after replacing the pump I connect all the coolant hoses except the one that goes to the top of the thermostat housing. I put coolant in the thermostat opening until it is just below the thermostat. Then I install the thermostat and cover, connect the upper radiator hose to the upper housing, and fill the radiator to the overflow tube. I start the engine and let it warm up with the radiator cap off or on loosely. After the thermostat opens I top off the radiator and install and tighten the cap, and check the coolant level in the overflow reservoir. Performing the preceeding method takes a while but avoids the risk of overheating the engine. Some members use a short cut method and risk blowing head gaskets because the water pump is only pumping air.

What I do is fill the radiator all the way then close it.
I open the resovoir cap and fill to the line.

Run the motor until it warms and the system heats up.
Then once at operating temperature put the heat on. Air should be warm/hot

Continue filling to the line and watching the resovoir tank you will see it bubble sometimes smaller and smaller.

I run the motor at 2,000 rpm at points to cycle it.

Once it stablilizes let it idle and then shut down the heat and then cut the motor.

Next day run and check...you will do the run and check for a couple days as the system naturally rids itself of air.

Usually mine is clear after 2-3 days.

Thanks, all...I'll keep working at it and let everyone know...I think my last resort will be StreetRod's recommendation...

Back