Sport Oil questions & Analysis | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Sport Oil questions & Analysis

From what I've heard from some mechanics, they said on cold starts, synthetic is better because conventional oil gets like a little gel like at cold temperatures and doesn't get around as easily.

Yes, true, but that's what the "5" means in a 5W20 for example. So a 5 in a dino oil or a full sythetic is esentially the same.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

However, after break in, it's so much better to use synthetic. ...
why don't formula 1 cars and any racing cars use conventional oil? ...

I'm thinking "so much better" is not really much, because I trust Ford and believe if really was that much better, like you say, then they would recommend it for their products.

Apples to apples please, the ecoboost engines in the explorer are not racing engines and making a comparison like this is just silly.

Religion and politics, right? My way is correct, if you don't agree, well ...

Interesting information from everyone.

So to summarize back to the questions:

2014 Sport......use a 5W30 Synthetic Blend.......if after ????? ( a few thousand miles of breakin ), you don't mind the cost, a switch to full synthetic is the best you can get.

Is that a fair summary?

2014 Sport......use a 5W30 Synthetic Blend.......if after ????? ( a few thousand miles of breakin ), you don't mind the cost, a switch to full synthetic is the best you can get.

Is that a fair summary?

From what I'm seeing, no. If you don't mind the extra $$$'s for piece of mind, which i don't, run full sythetic. But with the fuel dillution shown in oil analysis' the sport shouldn't go so long on oil changes (7500-10000) miles which is where the synthetic starts to shine.

If you can find a reasonable priced oil that performs well and change often (5000 ish miles) would be the best bet. The key thing here is that if sythetic is too expensive for you at these change intervals go with what meets your price point.

Is that a fair summary?

Waiting to switch to Syn after some magical break-in time is an Old Wives Tale. Many, (many, many) cars come straight from the factory with Syn oil as the factory fill (Corvette, BMW, Porsche, etc). From Walmart, Mobil 1 is cheap. Switch anytime.

Is that a fair summary?
If you go the 2014 Owner's Guide (link provided in post #8) you will see that the 3.5L Ecoboost does not require a synthetic oil. The specs show WSS-M2C946 -A.
It states; Your engine has been designed to use engine oil that meets Ford specification. It is also acceptable to use an engine oil of recommended viscosity grade that displays the API Certification Mark for gasoline engines.
However if you wish to use synthetic you can do so and it may indeed be more beneficial, but not required.

I suggest that you browse through the online Guide as there is a lot of information there to digest.

Peter

I have always run my conventional oil no more than 3,000 miles. So Peter you are saying I can switch from Synthetic Blend to conventional oil on my first change?

If I stay with a Synthetic Blend, what are some Motorcraft alternatives?

I have always run my conventional oil no more than 3,000 miles. So Peter you are saying I can switch from Synthetic Blend to conventional oil on my first change?

If I stay with a Synthetic Blend, what are some Motorcraft alternatives?
I change mine every 6 months or 5000 miles (8000 km). In my case the 6 months always occurs first.
According to your Owner's Guide you can run the Motorcraft 5W-20 non synthetic oil if you so desire. It is suitable for both the N.A. 3.5L as well as the 3.54L Ecoboost as shown in the 'specs' table.
There should be no problem switching oils when you do your oil change.
I'm not sure what synthetics oils the dealer has but according to my 2011 Guide there are 2 types listed;
•XO-5W20-QSP (US) - synthetic blend
•XO-5W20-QFS (US) - full synthetic

If I owned a Sport, I may be tempted to run the full synthetic but I lease my 2011 Limited and changing the oil every 6 months with only about 2000 miles per interval, doesn't make much sense to run anything but the conventional oil.

Peter

What oil to use in 2014 sport

I bought a 14 sport about 6 months ago. I had the dealership change the oil at 1000 miles just for piece of mind but I'd like to change it my self this time. I still have 53% oil life left but I was wondering when it comes time what oil every one is using.

Gonna get a lot of a$$holes, I mean opinions, on this one. Its been discussed at length in other topics and usually turns into a pissing match as to who's the smartest, most wise person on here and their recommendation.

Personally I use Mobil 1 and change at 5K no matter what the monitor says. BTW how many miles did it take to get to 53%?

What viscosity?

Gonna get a lot of a$$holes, I mean opinions, on this one. Its been discussed at length in other topics and usually turns into a pissing match as to who's the smartest, most wise person on here and their recommendation.

Personally I use Mobil 1 and change at 5K no matter what the monitor says. BTW how many miles did it take to get to 53%?

I'm a fan of Mobil 1 so that prob what id go with. I put approximately 4600 miles on it to get 53% left

Manual says 5w-30. I see no reason to use any weight other than that.

I bought a 14 sport about 6 months ago. I had the dealership change the oil at 1000 miles just for piece of mind but I'd like to change it my self this time. I still have 53% oil life left but I was wondering when it comes time what oil every one is using.
Welcome to the Forum Ievko82. :wavey:
As per my PM, I have merged your thread with this existing one. You may also want to check out the following;
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=309598&highlight=oil
As mentioned by one of the members, you will never get a consensus on this questions since everyone has their own opinions on it. You can't go wrong by following the manufacturer's recommended product.
You may also want to consider updating your profile to show 2014 Sport.
Good luck.

Peter

That is exactly right... But hey, its still a free country..

I use Amsoil 5w-30 at about 7500k... But Im sure there are a LOT of opinions!

So from what I'm seeing pretty much no one is going by the oil life meters but mileage.

For Turbo engines like in the Sport I would only use a full Synthetic like Penzoil Platinum or equal. Most factory tunes tend to be on the rich side to help prevent detonation which is very bad in pressurized engines. One issue that can be common is higher levels of gasoline contamination in the oil. I would err on the side of changing the oil at 3-5K regardless of oil. If you want to read up on engine oil try this link... http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/motor-oil-101/

Which is the Best Motor Oil

I am getting ready to change the oil in my 2014 Sport.

Does anyone have good advice for what motor oil to use? Other than simply Full Synthetic 5w-30. I used to use Amsoil in all my vehicles. It's great. But other companies must have perfected the art of producing great motor oil.
And, Amsoil is hard to find.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I believe Amsoil & Royal Purple are the best, but other full synthetics by Castrol, Mobil 1, & other top brands are pretty good. You can find these on sale from time to time so that the cost per QT is pretty low.

The best oil filter has got to be Amsoil.

Back