Interior light "timer" adjustment | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Interior light "timer" adjustment

jasonmolinari

Reaction score
The 2011 explorer interior lights (the ones that come on with the doors) seem to be on a timer. When the doors open, they come on for 30-45 seconds or whatever, then go off, even if the doors are still open.

How do i adjust how long they stay on, or have them stay on permanently if the doors are open? I searched and searched in the sync system vehicle settings (mood light color only setting) and behind the steering wheel on the left side settings..nothing anywhere!

thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The 2011 explorer interior lights (the ones that come on with the doors) seem to be on a timer. When the doors open, they come on for 30-45 seconds or whatever, then go off, even if the doors are still open.

How do i adjust how long they stay on, or have them stay on permanently if the doors are open? I searched and searched in the sync system vehicle settings (mood light color only setting) and behind the steering wheel on the left side settings..nothing anywhere!

thanks

According to the service manual it does not look like this can be adjusted, however there should be a courtesy lamp button on your headlamp switch that you can press to turn these on or off. It should be right below the fog lamp button on the left side.

this is all the manual says as far as the interior light delay.

Interior Lighting Delay

The interior lighting delay feature provides temporary illumination of the dimmable backlighting, the parking lamps and the courtesy lamps after the doors are opened and then closed. The interior lighting delay feature keeps the lamps on for a period of 25 seconds after all the doors are closed. If during the 25 second delay time the ignition has been switched out of off, or if the vehicle is locked using the RKE transmitter or the keyless entry keypad, the lamp illumination is discontinued.

I think it has something to do with the "battery saver" mode. Read the following.

Battery Saver
NOTE: The battery saver time-out is 1 minute if the vehicle has less than 80.45 km (50 mi).

NOTE: The battery saver does not control the parking lamps if the headlamp switch is in the PARKING LAMPS ON position.

To save battery voltage, the BCM provides automatic shut-off of the interior and exterior lamps after a time-out period when the ignition is off. The BCM monitors the ignition state and input from the RKE system to determine when to energize or de-energize the battery saver relay and to shut the power off to the lamps. A timer in the BCM starts when:

•the ignition changes to OFF,
•any door or liftgate becomes ajar while the ignition is off,
•an UNLOCK button of the RKE transmitter is pressed while the ignition is off,
•a valid keypad code is entered while the ignition is off,
•or the courtesy lamp switch (integrated into the FLM) is used to turn the courtesy lamps on while the ignition is off.
When 10 minutes have elapsed, the BCM automatically shuts off voltage to the lamps. The timer restarts (voltage is restored if the BCM is in battery saver mode) if:

•the ignition transitions out of OFF,
•any door or liftgate becomes ajar,
•the UNLOCK button of the RKE transmitter is pressed,
•a valid keypad code is entered,
•the courtesy lamp switch is pressed.
Courtesy Lamps
The BCM controls all the interior lighting functions and timing by monitoring inputs from the following:

•door ajar switches
•liftgate ajar switch (manual liftgate)
•LTM (power liftgate)
•ignition state
•courtesy lamp switch (integrated into the FLM)
•RKE system
•vehicle speed
The BCM sends a 12 volt signal to each door ajar switch and the liftgate latch (manual liftgate) or the LTM (power liftgate). When the doors and liftgate are closed, the voltage signals are pulled low, indicating a closed door or liftgate.

The BCM monitors input from the RKE transmitter (messaged from the TPM module on vehicles without IA or from the RFA on vehicles with IA) to determine when to activate/deactivate the illuminate entry feature .

The BCM monitors input from the FLM over the communication network to determine when to activate/deactivate the courtesy lamps. When the courtesy lamp button is pressed on the FLM, it sends a headlamp switch status message to the BCM indicating the request.

The BCM monitors the ignition state to determine when to activate/deactivate the illuminated exit feature.

Based on the input, the BCM controls the solid state relays to provide power to the courtesy lamps.

The BCM also provides an overload protection of the interior courtesy and puddle lamp output circuits. When an excessive current draw is detected, the BCM disables the affected interior courtesy or puddle lamp circuit driver. REFER to Section Field Effect Transistor (FET) Protection.

Illuminated Entry
The illuminated entry requests the dimmable backlighting, the parking lamps and the courtesy lamps to illuminate when the ignition is off and a door or liftgate is opened, the RKE transmitter UNLOCK button is pressed, or the vehicle is unlocked using the keyless entry keypad. If no doors are open, the illuminated entry requests the lamps off after 25 seconds have elapsed, the ignition is switched out of off, the RKE transmitter LOCK button is pressed, or the vehicle is locked using the keyless entry keypad.

NOTE: The battery saver time-out is 1 minute if the vehicle has less than 80.45 km (50 mi).

This almost looks like it is a factory set feature that the dealer, upon receiving the vehicle, should modify as part of the pre-sales preparation. Just a guess. If not done, then I can see it automatically changing after 50 miles have been put on since it likely isn't sitting in the showroom any longer.

does anyone know how to remove the domelight in a 2010???? installingf alarm and need to tap the wire for door trigger

DVR cutting out

I think it has something to do with the "battery saver" mode. Read the following.

Battery Saver

NOTE: The battery saver does not control the parking lamps if the headlamp switch is in the PARKING LAMPS ON position.

To save battery voltage, the BCM provides automatic shut-off of the interior and exterior lamps after a time-out period when the ignition is off. The BCM monitors the ignition state and input from the RKE system to determine when to energize or de-energize the battery saver relay and to shut the power off to the lamps. A timer in the BCM starts when:

•the ignition changes to OFF,
•any door or liftgate becomes ajar while the ignition is off,
•an UNLOCK button of the RKE transmitter is pressed while the ignition is off,
•a valid keypad code is entered while the ignition is off,
•or the courtesy lamp switch (integrated into the FLM) is used to turn the courtesy lamps on while the ignition is off.
When 10 minutes have elapsed, the BCM automatically shuts off voltage to the lamps. The timer restarts (voltage is restored if the BCM is in battery saver mode) if:

•the ignition transitions out of OFF,
•any door or liftgate becomes ajar,
•the UNLOCK button of the RKE transmitter is pressed,
•a valid keypad code is entered,
•the courtesy lamp switch is pressed.
Courtesy Lamps
The BCM controls all the interior lighting functions and timing by monitoring inputs from the following:

•door ajar switches
•liftgate ajar switch (manual liftgate)
•LTM (power liftgate)
•ignition state
•courtesy lamp switch (integrated into the FLM)
•RKE system
•vehicle speed
The BCM sends a 12 volt signal to each door ajar switch and the liftgate latch (manual liftgate) or the LTM (power liftgate). When the doors and liftgate are closed, the voltage signals are pulled low, indicating a closed door or liftgate.

The BCM monitors input from the RKE transmitter (messaged from the TPM module on vehicles without IA or from the RFA on vehicles with IA) to determine when to activate/deactivate the illuminate entry feature .

The BCM monitors input from the FLM over the communication network to determine when to activate/deactivate the courtesy lamps. When the courtesy lamp button is pressed on the FLM, it sends a headlamp switch status message to the BCM indicating the request.

The BCM monitors the ignition state to determine when to activate/deactivate the illuminated exit feature.

Based on the input, the BCM controls the solid state relays to provide power to the courtesy lamps.

The BCM also provides an overload protection of the interior courtesy and puddle lamp output circuits. When an excessive current draw is detected, the BCM disables the affected interior courtesy or puddle lamp circuit driver. REFER to Section Field Effect Transistor (FET) Protection.

Illuminated Entry
The illuminated entry requests the dimmable backlighting, the parking lamps and the courtesy lamps to illuminate when the ignition is off and a door or liftgate is opened, the RKE transmitter UNLOCK button is pressed, or the vehicle is unlocked using the keyless entry keypad. If no doors are open, the illuminated entry requests the lamps off after 25 seconds have elapsed, the ignition is switched out of off, the RKE transmitter LOCK button is pressed, or the vehicle is locked using the keyless entry keypad.

So this explains why my dash cam (DVR) cuts out after ten minutes. The BCM is shutting down power after 10 minutes. How do i bypass this so my dash cam works while i am not in the car.

Anyone?

So this explains why my dash cam (DVR) cuts out after ten minutes. The BCM is shutting down power after 10 minutes. How do i bypass this so my dash cam works while i am not in the car.

Anyone?
Almost appears that you would have to connect directly to the battery but use a separate ground point. Or find a point in the fuse box that is always 'hot'. One thing I'd be concerned about is how much current the unit would be drawing when it is ON.

Peter

Almost appears that you would have to connect directly to the battery but use a separate ground point. Or find a point in the fuse box that is always 'hot'. One thing I'd be concerned about is how much current the unit would be drawing when it is ON.

Peter

The dash cam is drawing 12v. So the car audio shop said i should have an extra small battery to use the dash cam on. This way i wont worry about draining my battery on a cold day. My last quote was 160 for an extra battery which includes install as well.

The dash cam is drawing 12v. So the car audio shop said i should have an extra small battery to use the dash cam on. This way i wont worry about draining my battery on a cold day. My last quote was 160 for an extra battery which includes install as well.
It is the current draw that is important. The 12V just indicates it will run on a 12Volt system (battery) but it doesn't indicate how much current it is using. That is the important part. I'm sure that the audio tech would be in the best position to determine that and that is why he suggested an extra battery. The question now is, how does that extra battery stay charged up. Are you going to have to use a battery charger?

Peter

It is the current draw that is important. The 12V just indicates it will run on a 12Volt system (battery) but it doesn't indicate how much current it is using. That is the important part. I'm sure that the audio tech would be in the best position to determine that and that is why he suggested an extra battery. The question now is, how does that extra battery stay charged up. Are you going to have to use a battery charger?

Peter

Yes, my thoughts exactly. He quoted me 280.00 US to install the extra battery (parts&labor) which i think its a bit too high in price. We need to check and see if this extra battery will keep charging so i wont have to do it myself as it would seem redundant to do so.

Back