Any way to adjust aim of fog lights? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Any way to adjust aim of fog lights?

harlenm

Reaction score
City, State
Shelton, CT
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Limited(lemon swap)
Passenger side is aimed much lower than drivers side. Don't think the bulb isn't in properly(I put h9 bulbs in).

Too cold to mess with it now, but as soon as I have a warm day, I'd like to go back under and check it out.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I believe h9 are the wrong bulbs for one thing....I think they should be h11. The sit in the plastic housing so I don't think they can be adjusted....could be wrong though. Good luck!

Uh, yeah. H9's are the wrong bulb.

H11.

H9 are the same as h11 except for one small tab that needs to be filed down. It's 65 watts instead of 55 and doesn't have the tip painted over. It's almost twice the lumens compared to an h11.

H9 are the same as h11 except for one small tab that needs to be filed down. It's 65 watts instead of 55 and doesn't have the tip painted over. It's almost twice the lumens compared to an h11.
I don't believe they are adjustable. For fog lights you don't really want them to be too bright. I assume you want to use them as driving lights. Just be sure that the H9 bulbs don't create too much heat as I believe everything associated with the fogs is plastic.
Happy New Year harlenm!:party:

Peter

I believe there is an adjustment wheel on the back of them. On my Flex they were way low, simple adjustment made all the difference right in front of the vehicle before the headlights cut-off. The adjustment wheel is kind of a PITA to turn though and will probably hurt your fingers, especially if done in the cold.

I've been looking for a way to improve the performance of the driving lights. Wow, they just suck. Very little light output over too small an area.

Our friend had a loaner 2013 Escape and the driving lights threw off an amazing amount of light, nice and low in a very wide band. They were actually useful. Best part about them was that they cast very little light upward.

Seeing as how the optics are set in the projectors, I don't see there is much to do that won't involve a huge amount of effort. I'm not thinking that brighter bulbs alone will accomplish what I want. Oh well... I'll just keep an eye out here to see if someone comes up with a good solution :)

I've been looking for a way to improve the performance of the driving lights. Wow, they just suck.

That's because they aren't driving lights...they are fogs according to the spec sheet. They have a 55w limit for on-road use.....to keep from blinding oncoming drivers. I know that doesn't bother some people....

I've been looking for a way to improve the performance of the driving lights. Wow, they just suck. Very little light output over too small an area.

Our friend had a loaner 2013 Escape and the driving lights threw off an amazing amount of light, nice and low in a very wide band. They were actually useful. Best part about them was that they cast very little light upward.

Seeing as how the optics are set in the projectors, I don't see there is much to do that won't involve a huge amount of effort. I'm not thinking that brighter bulbs alone will accomplish what I want. Oh well... I'll just keep an eye out here to see if someone comes up with a good solution :)
Vince, they are NOT driving lights. They are fog lights and not meant to be super bright otherwise it would defeat their purpose when used in fog.
I did some looking around the Internet and came across a posting that said if you use fog lights in Texas when it isn't foggy, you could be ticketed. Now that was posted in 2008. Another post on Texas Fog Light Laws says the beam cannot be higher that 4" below the height of the center of the fixture at 25 feet. On my Ex, the center of the bulb is 15 1/2 inches from the road. That means the top of the beam at 25 feet can be no higher that 11 1/2 from the road surface.

http://blog.kevindonahue.com/archives/2005/06/13/texas_fog_light_laws/

Good luck and Happy New Year my friend.:dpchug:

Peter

Plus....more wattage equates to more heat and melted housings. That circuit is not rated for the higher wattage/amperage. I have seen people do this and then complain about melting housings/wiring and blown fuses.

That's because they aren't driving lights...they are fogs according to the spec sheet. They have a 55w limit for on-road use.....to keep from blinding oncoming drivers. I know that doesn't bother some people....

Vince, they are NOT driving lights. They are fog lights and not meant to be super bright otherwise it would defeat their purpose when used in fog.
I did some looking around the Internet and came across a posting that said if you use fog lights in Texas when it isn't foggy, you could be ticketed. Now that was posted in 2008. Another post on Texas Fog Light Laws says the beam cannot be higher that 4" below the height of the center of the fixture at 25 feet. On my Ex, the center of the bulb is 15 1/2 inches from the road. That means the top of the beam at 25 feet can be no higher that 11 1/2 from the road surface.

http://blog.kevindonahue.com/archives/2005/06/13/texas_fog_light_laws/

Good luck and Happy New Year my friend.:dpchug:

Peter

Okay, they are FOG LIGHTS. Now that we have that straight... I was hoping for a fix that would cast more light down low and to the sides, to help avoid poor road surfaces and the occasional critter on darker country roads. I would think that those folks reading my post could look past my calling them by the incorrect name, and read the rest of my post as to the what I am looking for. I sincerely believe that a light aimed that low would not blind oncoming drivers, as it is not my intent to have light cast farther upwards, that is what high beams are for.

Okay, they are FOG LIGHTS. Now that we have that straight... I was hoping for a fix that would cast more light down low and to the sides, to help avoid poor road surfaces and the occasional critter on darker country roads. I would think that those folks reading my post could look past my calling them by the incorrect name, and read the rest of my post as to the what I am looking for. I sincerely believe that a light aimed that low would not blind oncoming drivers, as it is not my intent to have light cast farther upwards, that is what high beams are for.

The modified H9s put out about 75% more light compared to an H11, at the expense of a shorter life. However, the design of the driving lights, er fog lights is very poor, with a very shallow reflector. No much light is generated from them, and I only see a marginal improvement in light output. Even though I have factory HIDs in my Explorer, more light is always better. I am either going to take apart the bumper and install a set of HID fog lights, er driving lights into the oem housings, or might add a push bar and install a set of driving lights, err fog lights into them.

The modified H9s put out about 75% more light compared to an H11, at the expense of a shorter life. However, the design of the driving lights, er fog lights is very poor, with a very shallow reflector. No much light is generated from them, and I only see a marginal improvement in light output. Even though I have factory HIDs in my Explorer, more light is always better. I am either going to take apart the bumper and install a set of HID fog lights, er driving lights into the oem housings, or might add a push bar and install a set of driving lights, err fog lights into them.
If you are adding a 'push bar' then you would be adding driving lights, so you were right the first time. :D

Peter

I explained how in my original post above.

Instead of pissing around changing the fog lights out, just add a set of driving lights to the nose...

Explorernose.jpg

I made a couple of brackets and mounted them to the existing threaded holes in the bumper support.

P4020005.jpg

Did you use a relay for the driving lights? if so, which set of lights did you tap to activate them? I'm hoping you can tell me the wire color so I can tap into it when I'm using the headlights. Thanks,

Instead of pissing around changing the fog lights out, just add a set of driving lights to the nose...

I made a couple of brackets and mounted them to the existing threaded holes in the bumper support.
I've liked that picture from the day you first posted it. The colour of the Ex is great as well. I just noticed that the area between the lights looks like it is wide open. Is that right or does it just appear that way. I think I'd be concerned that there is no protection for the radiator if it is open.
Great job and it would make more sense to do it this way and you would still have the OEM fogs.:thumbsup:

Peter

Did you use a relay for the driving lights? if so, which set of lights did you tap to activate them? I'm hoping you can tell me the wire color so I can tap into it when I'm using the headlights. Thanks,

I tapped the high beam circuit and ran both a relay and a switch. That way I can turn them off at will. Couldn't tell you what color the wire was, I did it a year and a half ago.

I've liked that picture from the day you first posted it. The colour of the Ex is great as well. I just noticed that the area between the lights looks like it is wide open. Is that right or does it just appear that way. I think I'd be concerned that there is no protection for the radiator if it is open.
Great job and it would make more sense to do it this way and you would still have the OEM fogs.:thumbsup:

Peter

It is wide open between the lights. The lower grille piece didn't exactly provide a ton of protection anyways. I've debated cutting it up and putting it back in, but never did that.

Adjusting Fog Lights

The fog lights can be adjusted from the back housing. The adjustment is vertical only. There is a notched dial/wheel that is horizontally located on the on the left side of the housing. This is looking at the housing from the rear. You can see the passenger side housing and the dial from under the SUV. I have adjusted the fog lights on my 2014 Sport. The focal point is just below the low beam cut off. This focal point opens up the fog light beam and illuminates the side of the road and ditches. Here in Colorado, wildlife need to be seen. Hope this helps. I too will be changing the H11 to H9 this week for even better lighting from the fogs.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It is wide open between the lights. The lower grille piece didn't exactly provide a ton of protection anyways. I've debated cutting it up and putting it back in, but never did that.

How did you remove that grill? I see one of the tabs in your picture and I felt several of those when I was checking mine a few days ago, but could budge anything.

Back