Transmission: New, Re-built, or Re-manufacutered? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Transmission: New, Re-built, or Re-manufacutered?

scotch4ever

Reaction score
City, State
Cincinnati, OH
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Ford Explorer XLT
I have come to the dreaded day of having to figure out what is the best bet for my 2004 Ford Explorer XLT 2WD, 5R55S trans. I need to have the transmission fixed or replaced. There are so many choices between "New", "Rebuilt", and "Remanufactured" that I thought some advice would be good as I do not want to do this again for a long time. I have 134000 miles on my car (bought used) and I drive 16,000 to 25,000 miles a year.

I want to make sure I take advantage of any and all upgrades to the transmission that could improve the performance of the vehicle and I imagine that will depend on what time of transmission I get put in. Please share your thoughts and any companies you found that produced a great product. I have a home town garage that will install what ever I give them.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Recommend a remanufactured from Ford that has a 3 year / 36,000 mile warranty and it should have all of the updates including the sleeving of the servo piston bore. Others mentioned Jasper transmissions but how to get warranty work if needed? Rebuilt is OK if you are on a budget. I do not think you can find a new transmission.

If you get one rebuilt by an ATRA shop the warranty is good at any ATRA shop. From Ford is probably best quality but expensive. I don't know if Jasper is ATRA.

I would go with a rebuild from someone that knows the 5R55 transmission. They will address all of the weak points and build it better than a rebuilt unit.

I'd recommend a reman from ETE over a Ford. 3yr/Unlimited mile warranty, all updates and improvements done. I'd avoid Jasper as mentioned by the above poster.... unlike ETE, warranty work on Jasper products must be done only at Jasper authorized service centers.

Choosing rebuild is only as good as the rebuilder. Shoot for a warranty above 12month/12K miles. The place that swapped my transmission out with an ETE Reman offers 3yrs/Unlimited miles on their rebuilds, but he uses good parts. Ask lots of questions:
What ATF do they use? You'd be surprised how many shops put Dextron in everything.
Servo bore sleeving?
Other updates specific to your 5R55?
How do they mate the transfer case and transmission back together, silicone or a gasket?
Torque converter replaced? (always replace)

etc.....

Remanufactured really is the way to go, imho. Plus, it's a one day job. Bring it in the morning, drive home that afternoon.

Demand a NEW OEM solenoid body. Reman's are a joke. And a top quality torque converter. I used a Transtar with upgraded clutch. Cost $350 but it is perfect. Make sure they use brass servo bore sleeves not aluminum.

Recommend a remanufactured from Ford that has a 3 year / 36,000 mile warranty and it should have all of the updates including the sleeving of the servo piston bore. Others mentioned Jasper transmissions but how to get warranty work if needed? Rebuilt is OK if you are on a budget. I do not think you can find a new transmission.

I had a friend check who can buy as a dealer. $2400 was the wholesale price down from $2600 retail. The odd thing is that the Ford Dealers here in Cincinnati actually buy the rebuilds from local shops and not Ford.

If you get one rebuilt by an ATRA shop the warranty is good at any ATRA shop. From Ford is probably best quality but expensive. I don't know if Jasper is ATRA.

Good advice. I did check on the ATRA web site even though this shop has been open for over 40 years.

Ask lots of questions:
What ATF do they use? You'd be surprised how many shops put Dextron in everything.
I thought Dextron was the preferred fluid for Ford? After a "re-built" or "re-manufactured" trans has been installed is there a better fluid? I was going to ask them about using synthetic.

Also, I read on the forum that a larger aluminum pan would be a great addition, however, the 2004 allegedly do not have enough clearance with the exhaust.

Make sure they use brass servo bore sleeves not aluminum.
What does a brass servo sleeve add vs the aluminum? Definitely going with a new torque converter.

My trans went out 3 years ago on my 04 4.0. Had only 88k miles and was flushed around 75k. Replaced it with the remanufactured from ford with the 3 yr/36k warranty. Have had no problems with the new trans, seems solid. Ive since replaced the explorer as my daily driver and only use it on occasion now and for my boat in the summer. I put about only 3k on her this past year. With the proper maintenance I plan on keeping her a long time! 120k miles and running perfect

I don't plan on ever flushing this new transmission. The service period is 150k miles. I can't help but think getting my transmission flushed messed something up. It was done at the dealer as well.

I thought Dextron was the preferred fluid for Ford? After a "re-built" or "re-manufactured" trans has been installed is there a better fluid? I was going to ask them about using synthetic.

Also, I read on the forum that a larger aluminum pan would be a great addition, however, the 2004 allegedly do not have enough clearance with the exhaust.

Dextron is for GM, Mercon is for Ford. I had several shops either say they put Dextron in everything, and some that mentioned a "conversion" to Dextron. I presume this is to cut costs, as Mercon V is generally more expensive.

Also, a deeper pan with a dipstick is a great idea. You can find examples in various threads with a search of this forum.

Dextron is for GM, Mercon is for Ford. I had several shops either say they put Dextron in everything, and some that mentioned a "conversion" to Dextron. I presume this is to cut costs, as Mercon V is generally more expensive.

Also, a deeper pan with a dipstick is a great idea. You can find examples in various threads with a search of this forum.

See link below, post # 11. imp

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=285524&highlight=transmission+dipstick

Many thanks Imp and Saltking. It I will make sure i get the right fluid. It seems a deeper pan is not possible due to and obstruction under the truck for the 2004 model.

Back