Console Media Hub Door Latch Sticking | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Console Media Hub Door Latch Sticking

tsmerian

Reaction score
City, State
Normal, IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Explorer Limited
The wife and I have had our new-to-us 2011 Limited for about a week now. We love it :D

One annoyance: The button on the console door that covers the cig outlet/usb/SD card compartment (the button says "SYNC" on it) is VERY sticky. Like in that it doesn't work - at least the way I think it should. Shouldn't the door tilt back after a light press of the button? I have to push so hard on the button that the only way to get the door to open is to push on the back of the door at the same time. I've tried lubing the latch, but that didn't help either. Ironically, the XLT that be test drove suffered from the same problem.

I did some searching on the forum, but didn't come up with any other posts. Anyone else have this issue and/or a fix?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The wife and I have had our new-to-us 2011 Limited for about a week now. We love it :D

One annoyance: The button on the console door that covers the cig outlet/usb/SD card compartment (the button says "SYNC" on it) is VERY sticky. Like in that it doesn't work - at least the way I think it should. Shouldn't the door tilt back after a light press of the button? I have to push so hard on the button that the only way to get the door to open is to push on the back of the door at the same time. I've tried lubing the latch, but that didn't help either. Ironically, the XLT that be test drove suffered from the same problem.

I did some searching on the forum, but didn't come up with any other posts. Anyone else have this issue and/or a fix?
Welcome to the Forum tsmerian. :wavey:
This problem was brought up in another thread. I also have the same issue and it only happens when it is cold. Once the interior warms up, the problem should disappear. I've become pretty good at opening it with one hand now. I just make sure the button is unlocked and then push hard on the back of the door and it opens. You shouldn't have any problems in warmer weather, but then it shouldn't actually be a problem now either, but it is.;)

Peter

Well, we've only had it a week, but I've never had it work as advertised.

Yep..it's an issue :(. Mine does it too. I've found if I move it up and down a few times by hand after I first open it, it doesn't stick anymore. I'll be heading back to the dealer with it one of these days.

2011 Ford Explorer 11-10-14 tsb

This relates to the front console being difficult to open. Does any one know if this has a resolution. We just bought a new to us 2011 xlt with my ford touch. And the console door is giving me problems. I researched and saw that this had been an issue.

Thanks in advance

Open the console door and look for two little rubber stoppers where the door comes to rest when it's closed. It's hard to open when one or both stoppers is missing. The TSB says to replace them if missing.

This relates to the front console being difficult to open. Does any one know if this has a resolution. We just bought a new to us 2011 xlt with my ford touch. And the console door is giving me problems. I researched and saw that this had been an issue.

Thanks in advance
The TSB is actually;
11-10-27 FORWARD CENTER CONSOLE STORAGE BIN DOOR DIFFICULT TO OPEN

Mine works perfectly until the weather gets cold. Then it sticks and I have to apply some pressure to the back edge of it to get it to open. Since I rarely use this feature I haven't bothered looking at it to see if it can be fixed.

BTW, welcome to the Forum txmade. :wavey:
Using the forum's 'Search' function will show a couple of existing threads on the topic. Your thread has been merged with this one.

It would also be very helpful in answering future concerns if you entered the model and year of your Explorer into your profile so that the info will show in the left column where your name appears.

Peter

Mine has the rubber buttons and still sticks in winter until interior warms up.

Mine has the rubber buttons and still sticks in winter until interior warms up.
That is exactly how mine works as well, in the Winter time.

Peter

Hey guys,

If you have a sticky console door that's frustrating you, bring it up at your next dealership visit so they can check it out for you. If you need me to step in and help, give me a shout via PM and I'll do what I can to assist.

Crystal

Microsoft Sync Console Door Won't Open

Hey Everyone,

I'm new to the forum and just got a 2011 Ford Explorer Limited!

I've got something that's bugging me. The console door that's in front of the stick shift and cup holders (under the radio) that has the SYNC emblem on it, I can't get it to open. I have to take a skinny key, push the button and pry it out. It doesn't take any force whatsoever but it's annoying that I need 2 hands to open it. The spring loaded function is still there so I'm not sure what's causing the problem.

My wife has a 2011 Taurus Limited and her console spring loaded doors do the same thing sometimes.

Does anyone know either: A) How to fix it or B) What the part number is so I can look into replacing it.

Thanks in advance!

-brilor04

On my old 2011 there was a small rubber button that fell off the inside edge of the lid . I put a small piece of rubber on the side where it was missing and it worked fine. No need to replace.

Hey Everyone,

I'm new to the forum and just got a 2011 Ford Explorer Limited!

I've got something that's bugging me. The console door that's in front of the stick shift and cup holders (under the radio) that has the SYNC emblem on it, I can't get it to open. I have to take a skinny key, push the button and pry it out. It doesn't take any force whatsoever but it's annoying that I need 2 hands to open it. The spring loaded function is still there so I'm not sure what's causing the problem.

My wife has a 2011 Taurus Limited and her console spring loaded doors do the same thing sometimes.

Does anyone know either: A) How to fix it or B) What the part number is so I can look into replacing it.

Thanks in advance!

-brilor04
Welcome to the Forum brilor04.:wavey:
This is a know issue with this door. There is even a TSB on it if you check out the 2011 - 2012 TSB thread in the 'sticky' section. I don't know if it fixes the problem or not. The issue is caused by temperature in most cases. Once the interior warms up or you get into Spring/Summer type weather, the problem usually disappears. I have the same issue with mine. What I do to open it is press on the front as usual to unlock it, then I press on the back (raised) part of the door and it usually will pop open. Like I said it is basically temperature related and nothing else.

As indicated in my PM, I have also moved your thread to this existing one.

Peter

I'm not entirely sure mine is temp related because as soon as the interior warms up it seems to still not want to cooperate. May have to bring it to the dealership to have them look at it. Just odd that it worked perfectly for a week and one morning it just won't work. Thanks everyone!

-brilor04

I think I may have found the problem. One of the rubber buttons are completely missing. Does anyone know the part number or if a replacement part exists for this? I put a rolled up gum wrapper in there and magically it worked. It's temporary but hoping to get the parts necessary to fix it.

Thanks!

I had the same problem on my '13. Dealer had to replace the door. Under warranty. :)

Finally figured it out! It was the rubber stopper inside the casing. One was missing causing the door to sit too far down to spring open. Got a replacement from a Ford dealer...$18 for one little rubber stopper. Got 'er installed and the door works perfectly now! I still have the wrapper at home if anyone ever needs the part# to order one.

Hello.. new to forum as I just bought an '11 Explorer Limited.
I also have the console issue.. except the PO broke it.

I'm trying to fix it but first I need to get the spring back in place on the Sync door. Does anyone have a photo they can post or PM me with how the little spring should be installed in the latch?

Thanks in advance.

David
2011 Explorer Limited

Welcome to the Forum dahveedem.:wavey:
Although I have many photos of the 2011 I had, unfortunately there are none of the media hub. I checked fortparts.com but the pictures they show are not detailed enough to show the spring. I guess I never paid that much attention to it since I cannot recall seeing any spring. I do know that mine would not pop open in the Winter time when it was cold. After the interior warmed up it functioned normally. Good luck. I hope someone will come along that has the answer you are looking for.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the Forum dahveedem.:wavey:
Although I have many photos of the 2011 I had, unfortunately there are none of the media hub. I checked fortparts.com but the pictures they show are not detailed enough to show the spring. I guess I never paid that much attention to it since I cannot recall seeing any spring. I do know that mine would not pop open in the Winter time when it was cold. After the interior warmed up it functioned normally. Good luck. I hope someone will come along that has the answer you are looking for.

Peter

Peter,

thanks.. if anyone else can snap a shot of the area shown below.. I'd appreciate it. This is with the sync logo thingie removed and the spring removed, but you get the idea.

Many thanks.

David

nlw8CbXn

Back