2002-05 wheel fit on 2001 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2002-05 wheel fit on 2001

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

yes....all explorers have the 5x4.5 lug pattern

OK, Thanks I was worried about the center hole size. It just looks smaller and was afraid of a bad surprise.

They will not fit right though, the offset is way different. They will be sunken into the wheel wells.

They are going to rub on the lower control arm when you turn sharply. The backset on the 3rd gen are deeper than the 2nd generation. I used wheel spacers to avoid the problem.

They will not fit right though, the offset is way different. They will be sunken into the wheel wells.

yes.......backspacing is wayyy different. that is correct.

but they WILL bolt on

:salute:

What type of spacer would be needed for 285 75 16's?

Measure the distance from where they bolt to the hub to the edge of the rim. If I recall my 2000 was four and the newer were six and a half. Have you looked at the rims? I don't think those are aluminum rimes. They are aluminum coated.

Measure the distance from where they bolt to the hub to the edge of the rim. If I recall my 2000 was four and the newer were six and a half. Have you looked at the rims? I don't think those are aluminum rimes. They are aluminum coated.

Damn, That would mean 2 1/2" spacer just to be equal to stock 2001 rims?
Can that be right?
I don't care about the aluminum. I just dont want to spend $450.00 on rims.

I used 3/4 inch spacers. They were only rubbing when the wheel was turned tight. I'd measure the rims. Maybe they will work without them.

The rims were sold before I could get there. I got disgusted and ordered black steel wheels from summit. 16 x8, 0 offset and 4 1/2" backspacing. My son looked at the mudstar 285 75 16's and said they'll never fit. They look huge. I put 2" shackle lifts in rear and waiting for the torsion bar tool and have 1-3" lift TB keys for front. Wheels are black with black caps and black chrome lugs. If they fiit it should look nice. I'm putting an Aussie locker in rear and truck will be flat deep forest green with flat black trim. Smittybilt X20 winch on a front reciever hitch. Thanks for the info guys this is a great forum. :salute:

Back