Front Sensors | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Front Sensors

Martha Colson

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Ford Explorer
I am buying a 2014 Ford Explorer Limited and it does not have front sensors. Can they be added to the suv?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I am buying a 2014 Ford Explorer Limited and it does not have front sensors. Can they be added to the suv?
Welcome to the Forum Martha Colson. :wavey:
I'm guessing you are looking for the same type of sensors that are on the back for object detection. If so, then Yes, they can be added. They are shown on the Ford Website in the Accessories store.

http://accessories.ford.com/vehicles/explorer/2014/electronics/parking-assist-system.html

It would also be very helpful if you added the model (Limited) to your profile so that is shows in the left margin.
Good luck and happy motoring.

Peter

Not sure what monkey at Ford designed that system, but it's useless.

Per the description, it turns on for 5 minutes when you start the vehicle and then shuts off.

This is the main reason I installed a Lockpick 2 and a front license plate camera.

Per the description, it turns on for 5 minutes when you start the vehicle and then shuts off.

This is the main reason I installed a Lockpick 2 and a front license plate camera.

That does seem kind of weird - I presume one would need this when they arrive at their destination and want to park. The first 5 minutes Ill be backing out not pulling in?????

I've never had front scanning sensors but I can see why they would shut off. If they remained on, you would constantly get alarms when driving behind someone, or in heavy traffic. When driving forward, you should always be able to see what is in front of you, unlike reversing. This system seems to be designed to detect objects in front of the vehicle after it has been parked. Seems like a reasonably designed system. A camera would likely be a better option though.

Peter

That does seem kind of weird - I presume one would need this when they arrive at their destination and want to park. The first 5 minutes Ill be backing out not pulling in?????
It isn't designed to replace Active Park Assist. I've driven and parked vehicles for 50+ years and never required sensors (front or rear) to help me. I did scrape the curb once with that low front end valance when pulling straight into a parking spot. Since then I've learned to adjust my parking to avoid this happening again.

Peter

I had these sensors on my Honda Odyssey and they were helpful. Especially parking in the garage filled full of kids bikes, green machines, scooters, and sports equipment. My kids are notorious for cramming them by the front of where I park-since the garage and the long driveway become a obstacle course. It hurts to say that Honda had those parking sensors right, even if someone is approaching your vehicle from that angle it alerted me. Which is helpful working in the downtown area and the varying hours I have to. Honda had the ability to turn on and off this feature- that helps when maneuvering through the drive through at the bank.

Maybe this is one of those features that good old fashioned driving and observation can equate to.

Thanks for allowing my 2 cents--need change? ;)

This is my wife's Explorer. She happens to be 5'1" and has a hard time seeing over the hood while parking.

Our 2013 Escape had factory front sensors on them; great in crammed Costco parking lots. They behaved just like the rears, with 3 zones of range and 3 levels of beeping, whereas the add-on appears to have a single zone. They also never went off while in traffic. They began sensing at 2', just like the add-on sensors.

Given that they function perfectly fine on the Escape and that vast majority of people park facing in and back out when leaving, I'll stand by my monkey remark :)
Perhaps the real question is why does Form put them on a considerably smaller/cheaper car while omitting them from an Explorer LTD when the latter could probably use it more.

This is my wife's Explorer. She happens to be 5'1" and has a hard time seeing over the hood while parking.

Our 2013 Escape had factory front sensors on them; great in crammed Costco parking lots. They behaved just like the rears, with 3 zones of range and 3 levels of beeping, whereas the add-on appears to have a single zone. They also never went off while in traffic. They began sensing at 2', just like the add-on sensors.

Given that they function perfectly fine on the Escape and that vast majority of people park facing in and back out when leaving, I'll stand by my monkey remark :)
Perhaps the real question is why does Form put them on a considerably smaller/cheaper car while omitting them from an Explorer LTD when the latter could probably use it more.
If that is the way they work then that would be great then. Maybe it will be something they will add to the Ex sometime soon. I guess I'm in the minority. I usually back into a spot to make it easier pulling straight out. Also easier access to the engine should the vehicle not start for some reason.

Peter

Back