Larger Tires on OEM & Aftermarket Wheels | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Larger Tires on OEM & Aftermarket Wheels

I am running 285/35/22 on a 10.5" rim with no rubbing. That tire is designed for 10-11" rim so going 295 on a 8.5 or 9" rim is going to make your side walls bulge a bit.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I don't post much here, but I hope this helps..
I have a 14 XSport and I am running the following with ZERO issues.
Truck also have H&R springs... No rubbing....

-22x10.5 Vossen CVT front and back
- Pirelli Scorpion Zero Asimmetrico 285/35/22

Bigmoney, what is your offset and are you lowered? I think I sent you a PM a bit back because I was purchasing 22x10.5 and was looking for some feedback. Was curious what your experiences are.

I am lowered with H&R springs.. I think the offset is 40, as I needed to fit a wilwood big brake system in as well.. I can confirm offset later.
Love the wheels, no issues and it looks mean as hell!!

Yeah. Over this past weekend, saw a 2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8 that was running 295/45/20 Pirelli's on that vehicle's stock rims. Looked nice!

255/50/20's are the stock tire and fit on the 9" wide Sport rims.... Looking at a 285/40/20 or 295/40/20 but don't want them to rub up front.

Anybody try anything wider?

HH

I believe the Sport rims are 8" wide. I could've sworn I saw 20x8 (and 39 offset) stamped on the inside of the rims when I had them off the other day. So I'm not sure 285+ series tires would fit. FWIW

Sports are 9 limited 8.5

Yeah I guess I must've been thinking of something else. Esp since I wrote +39 offset when it's actually +44, jeez. Sorry, carry on..

no rubbing with 22x10.5 40 offset, lowered with h&r springs with 285/35?hows the alignment?did you get it aligned already?how does the ride feels like?

no rubbing with 22x10.5 40 offset, lowered with h&r springs with 285/35?hows the alignment?did you get it aligned already?how does the ride feels like?

No rubbing at all Ever!!
The alignment is perfect and at factory settings and perfect tire wear...
The ride is great. As you would/should expect, it is stiffer with the h&r's and the 22's...
But the ride is great no daily driving issues at all..

^
thanks. that's great.that will be my set up .I think I saw you posting getting a big brake kit also from wilwood.?if it was you after you install it ,if you could post a pic of your ride.i wanted to go with 5 spoke too but with 22 and 5 spoke the factory brake looks tiny to me.

great info thanks guys. Dealer did replace our split tire under warranty, but when it's time for a new set I'm definitely going to probably a 275/45/20

I can't post pics on this forum without buying a membership.
I don't plan on paying to be a member.
However, below is a complete list of completed mods and the ones coming soon.
Send me your email and I can email pics.. (Unless I'm wrong about posting pics?)

Modification list: 2014 Explorer Sport 401A

-Wheels: 22x10.5 Vossen CVT custom powder coated matte graphite
-Tires: Pirelli Scorpion Zero Asimmetrico 285/35/22-Winter
-Tires: BF Goodrich 285/35/22-Summer
-H & R lowering springs
-Tuner-LMS 93 high boost with 3Bar map sensor
-AirAid CAI
-170* thermostat
-3 bar map sensor
-pre-gapped plugs
-Full LED interior
-HID head and fog lights
-weather tech digital floor mats
-custom Billet foot pedals
-Wilwood big brake kit front and rear
-thule roof rack system(for travel only)
-LMS corsa cat back-black chrome tips

****Soon to be installed*****
-LMS Catted down pipes
-Rx Catch can and clean side fill cap with steal lines and fittings
-billet badge 3.5L twin turbo
-carbon fiber engine cover

Also have door handles wrapped in matte black
Both ford emblems front and back and sport emblem are custom painted matte graphite grey
Ecoboost emblem is removed
Front plate delete
Paint matched shark fin

Think that covers it all

You can post pics if you upload them to photobucket and then pull down the image tag. That's what I have been doing without paying. I've seen your truck on EcoBoost.. Nice looking upgrades.

I plan on going to the 275/45/20 this summer from the 265. The main reason I had went with summer tire option is because they where slightly wider than the standard all season rubber. Plus I was buying winter tires and wheels anyway.

Stock is 255/50R20 and the summer tyre option is 265/45R20 - the summer tyre is 10mm wider but 0.65" smaller in overall diameter.

I have 265/50R20 winter tyres on my Sport and they fit great. Width is fine on a 9" wide rim, not too much bulge, and they're 0.39" bigger than stock in overall diameter which jacks the car up ever so slightly (probably more of a placebo effect than anything else!).

I have my winter tyres on for ~6 months a year so it's going to be a long time before I need to replace the stock rubber but when I do I will probably go for 265/50 or maybe even 275/50 (0.79" larger diameter). I think any bigger than that will look silly on the stock 9" wide rims. I don't think you'll run into rubbing issues unless you swap for wider rims / different offset or really increase the profile which would also require recalibrating the speedometer.

BMC, you kill me Bro... Clearly you spend thousands to upgrade your cars (my math has you approaching $10K spent on your E Sport) to personalize them and make them your rolling statement. I'm not against this in any way, I do the same thing(I'm in about $6K;)) myself. But spend a pittance to join a forum so that the forum has enough funds for nicely functioning operating format? Out of the question for you? Odd from my point of view. EPF operates so primitively, I would gladly throw $25. at it to make it more user friendly but that's just me I suppose:D

Keep in mind guys, adding more than 10-20mm of tire width without increasing the rim width will make the sidewalls bulge and degrade cornering performance. Years ago, I went from 205/50/15 tires to 225/50/15 tires on the stock 6" rims on my Shelby street/track car and my lap times SLOWED down by .8 tenths a lap on a 2 minute circut. I sure *thought* the extra rubber was gonna give me a wider contact patch and increased performance, it didn't.:mad: If your goal is strictly cosmetic, then go for it. There are some 315/30/20's for Viper rears out there;)

BMC, you kill me Bro... Clearly you spend thousands to upgrade your cars (my math has you approaching $10K spent on your E Sport) to personalize them and make them your rolling statement. I'm not against this in any way, I do the same thing(I'm in about $6K;)) myself. But spend a pittance to join a forum so that the forum has enough funds for nicely functioning operating format? Out of the question for you? Odd from my point of view. EPF operates so primitively, I would gladly throw $25. at it to make it more user friendly but that's just me I suppose:D
;)

It's obviously not about the money.... I belong to 3 other forums, I don't pay to post pics on either of them... 2 of them I pay to have some additional features that I like, use and personally find worth the fee.
I don't spend much time on this site and I find it a bit difficult to navigate compared to others. I'm not sure if there is a forum app for this site, but that makes it easier too...this site seams very cluttered with a lot of other non XSport content even non EB content.
Just my 2 cents.. Don't want to hurt any feelings and I may in fact be wrong, if there is an app, especially if it only had EB content I would give that a try to see if it makes it better...
Sorry for being so far off topic, but felt I had to address..

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I just had Falkin STZ-05 275/45/20 mounted on my wifes Sport. No rub. From the side, they look the same as stock, but from the rear it looks wider. The Falkins have a pretty sqaure side wall so it helps add to the wider look.

Back