Rear Bumper Protectors | Page 6 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Rear Bumper Protectors

No issues at all on my wife's 2013 Explorer during the one year since installing it. Looks like the bubble issue may have been when the perimeter of double-back tape completely ebcapsulated the air beneath the cover. You should have at least a 1/8" gap to allow air to vent.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Mine arrived and I have installed it. As thick as this thing is, I don't see how it could get air bubbles, but just in case, I cut five 1/4" notches out of the tape: one on all four corners and another in the middle (the side without the overlap).

There were some very tiny patches of air bubbles in the plastic that keep it from being perfectly smooth in some areas, but it wasn't bad enough that I'm willing to go through sending it back. Apparently this is the only company that makes these, so I'd rather have it than not have anything at all.

My kids dragged two bicycles out of the back of my two-week-old Explorer and gashed the back bumper in a few places, so this was something I really needed. Paint job on the bumper was going to run $360 - $470, depending on who did it, so this was a much better alternative.

EDIT: I just noticed that I'm showing only two posts at this site, but I have posted here off-and-on since joining three years ago. ???

I just ordered mine; already had the OEM one waiting on hand but now I'll certainly use this one.

Anyone have unsticking issues with this?

I ordered mine after i got rear ended and figured i'd have the body shop install it for me. Apparently they might not have read the directions and probably installed it either without properly wiping down the bumper or after it got a coat of wax because two days later it was lifting off the bumper right in the middle. When it was pushed down and let go you could hear the adhesive tape grab on then let go.

I called BMC and they said the surface cant have any wax on it and it must be prepped properly as per the instructions. You'd think a high end body shop would know this. Apparently not. Now that they have my Ex again (for the third time for quality of work issues) i really hope they reapply the right way.

Anyone else have there's unstick on them?

Its got some sort of powder or release agent from the mold on it. I used some black trim finish restore stuff on it today to clean it up and it looks much more black and more like the lower plastic on the car (I wouldnt call it black either).

We've got the OEM style on my wife's '07 Edge and its about useless for protection of the bumper.

So you wouldn't recommend painting it black? What black trim finish did you use?

I just had my friend make a protectant with thick clear bra, and I've had no problems with loading/unloading things and it getting torn up.

Much cheaper than any of the plastic protectors.

Thanks for the great info on BMC. Looks like I'll be
purchasing my bumper protector from them, and not worry so much about my 2 dogs tearing up the OE "decal" protector. This is such a help to me!

Installed my BMC protector days ago too, love it. Looks like it should have been there from the beginning.

Just ordered one up also..

I have the factory one which i installed it my on my 2014 and also had it on my 2011 and never had any issues with it did not follow installation procedure from ford did my on, bought it closer to the rim of the bumper with no worries. I first cleaned bumper with alcohol then dried area well and re cleaned wel then carefully installed guard and used blower on low heat over guard and never ever had an issue. When its in stalled on a dirty bumber or a cold bumper and area had not been clean with alcohol this it will come of sooner or later.... I will haver dealer install new follow what i just explained.... I do window tint's, door pillar moulding,head lights tinting etc.... And never had issues...!

my factory one is peeling..back to dealer...at least it lasted 3 weeks

Do you have pictures of your factory cover?

Mine has been holding up pretty well, only been 2 weeks though.

I was thinking of picking one up, Mine is the white platinum, I've only had her for about 3 weeks now and needed to load some stuff over the weekend.

Luckily no scratches, but was definitely thinking it'll be worth it! Just worried if it'll look off with the white platinum??

Judge for yourself. Here is the one I had on mine. As far as I know it is the only colour available. This is the OEM one. I would get the one one that actually covers the edge. It wasn't available when I bought mine.

Peter

Attachments

• P4020206a.jpg
    P4020206a.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 874

Thanks Peter!

Yeah it doesn't look too bad, and you are right I would probably go after the aftermarket one that covers the bumper.

I would much rather have it protected then worry about getting it repainted down the line compared to the small cost of the guard.

Appreciate the picture post! :)

Canadian buyer

Has anyone in Canada ordered this bumper cover from BMC?
I always get screwed in the end with additional charges when ordering from the US and want to know how much it cost all in. Or preferably somewhere I can order this product in Canada.

I have created a thread asking for Canadian vendors to come forward to accommodate Canadian buyers. See link below.
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=175

I always get screwed in the end with additional charges when ordering from the US and want to know how much it cost all in. Or preferably somewhere I can order this product in Canada.

I have created a thread asking for Canadian vendors to come forward to accommodate Canadian buyers. See link below.
BMC replied to my email and confirmed that they do not have any Canadian distributors for the bumper guard. On their website they do show a way that you can save on fees when shipping to another country.
http://www.bmcextremecustoms.net/shipping-returns.html

Peter

Who's screwing you? If its the US, then don't buy from US companies, buy from Taiwan or China or Canadian companies. You have the choice, its a free country. If its your own country screwing you, right or wrong that's life.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Who's screwing you? If its the US, then don't buy from US companies, buy from Taiwan or China or Canadian companies. You have the choice, its a free country. If its your own country screwing you, right or wrong that's life.

You'll notice in the thread I referred to in my earlier post, reason I am not purchasing such items from Canada is that there are no Canadian distributors for these items.

Back