Rear Lift Gate (upper one) Plastic broke in half | Page 8 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Rear Lift Gate (upper one) Plastic broke in half

Not sure if it's been discussed here but Dorman now has pre-painted replacement panels available. I've ordered one in Blue, $106 shipped. We'll see if it does the job. Planning on using double tape and silicone sealer to attach it...

Here's a link to the Dorman site for this particular item : http://www.dormanproducts.com/p-67188-924-096.aspx

68Restoman

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Not sure if it's been discussed here but Dorman now has pre-painted replacement panels available. I've ordered one in Blue, $106 shipped. We'll see if it does the job. Planning on using double tape and silicone sealer to attach it...

Here's a link to the Dorman site for this particular item : http://www.dormanproducts.com/p-67188-924-096.aspx

68Restoman

Thanks for the info. Mine just went from a hair line crack to a large one recently. I called Ford and they want around $250 for one unpainted. Called a local parts supplier and they want $145 for the Dorman one. Will do this when it warms up a bit. Mine is also blue.

No problem, it's definitely a problem looking for a solution. I'm going to wait and see if it comes with any installation instructions, should be interesting if it does...

Mine hasn't cracked, instead it came loose at the top. Most of the time it isn't noticeable until you lift the gate and it leaks water on you. Sometimes there is a very noticeable ~1/4" gap at the top in the middle of the applique. After reading about the rusting issues from others I may see if I can pry this one off and reattach it with the silicone and double-sided tape. Maybe I'll be able to finally track down the door ajar issue to the hatch...

Finally got my Dorman pre-painted replacement applique installed over the weekend. Looks good and feels solid, we'll see if it lasts. Total cost including materials was about $125.

I used 3M exterior grade double tape and a bead of black silicone under the top edge to help keep the water out. I left some openings in the tape to allow any water that got in to drain out the bottom. I was able to reuse the emblem using the same double tape to attach it.

The fit of the Dorman panel is excellent, the color is a little off but pretty close (could be that the original paint is faded).

I also gave the rusty metal piece under the panel a shot of Rustoleum while I had it exposed to maybe slow down the rusting...

Touch wood, I must have the only one left that isnt cracked!!

If you don't see much changes in temps you'll be alright. I got this damn crack about 3 years ago winter time.

wow this thread is the most popular commented thread! Here's what happened to me...

My 03 explorer never ever developed a rear panel crack HOWEVER, the right side epoxy began to come off in 2011, so the entire right side was flapping in the wind over 3 years if I did not tape it up or glue to reattach. Tried various ways of making it stay but only lasts 6 months each time because I used crappy tape (without knowing about 3M). Panel finally bit it last month, a car wash brush took the whole damn thing off. My fault because it loose and wasn't secured.

It looked horrible and so ghetto driving it home ha! Ive heard everyone say its a $400 job at dealer, instead I ordered an $80 applique panel made by Dorman which came unpainted gray. Got small can of matching paint along with can of primer and can of gloss sealer (another $25 or so for the 3 cans). Did the job myself in 2 days.

It included prying the old epoxy off as best can do. I did not get it off but just chipped away at and sanded down the top layer. It worked fine because the tape had no problem sticking to that. I found a VERY strong and great moulding tape by 3M its the auto strength kind. Autozone has big/wide roll for $15 and give high praise to this tape for plastics on cars.

Anyway my total cost was roughly $125 and it looks great! Its on there very secure and since its not another Ford panel I know it will not crack in future lol.

Ahhh thanks for tip about putting black silicone at top of panel to seal with the glass. I did not do that but I will after reading this!

I'm happy to report that so far the Dorman pre-painted replacement applique applied with double tape and silicone sealer has performed flawlessly through the hot dry summer here on the West coast. We'll see how it does through the Winter, I have my fingers crossed....

My dad's 03, which has been parked outside its entire life on the north coast of California, only just split this year.

I've noticed that units I see on the road with darker colors tend to have the cracking much more than the lighter colors which would make sense if it's heat cycle related I suppose. Mine is dark blue and I was replacing a replacement so this is at least it's third applique...

Ordered mine from ebay today for $99 painted and shipped.
Ill report back after install.

My newly acquired 2005 Explorer does not have a crack. It has 166,000+ miles on it, I put on less than 1,000 so far, so I have no idea if the panel was ever replaced.

Most of the explorers of the same gen I see here in Michigan have that crack.

*fingers crossed*

Yes, please post link. Thx

Here's the ebay auction I bought
http://www.ebay.com/itm/121356558443

Paint matched perfectly.

It did have some fine scratches as their packaging leaves much to be desired.
Its in a plastic sleeve, wrapped in cardboard, no padding. All the rubbing inside the plastic put some scratches in it. And being black, made it really noticeable.

IMG_4699.jpg

I send a message to the seller and the customer service was great
They offered to accept the return immediately and send another.
I suggested to refund a portion and they did - $15.

The old panel came off very easy, like the glue was dried out and brittle.

I used a flap wheel on my grinder to smooth the glue surface.
IMG_4987.jpg

IMG_4984.jpg

IMG_4983.jpg

At that point I used some reducer on a rag and wiped the surface clean.
I applied 1/2" 3M double sided foam tape all the way around, leaving some gaps at the bottom in case water did get in there.

IMG_4989.jpg

IMG_4990.jpg

I test fit the pane first and it fit very nicely. Perfect actually.
Removed the red tape and stuck it on with the help of my father. 4 hands are needed here.

IMG_4992.jpg

I was able to pry my emblem off the old panel without any trouble. I used some 3M foam tape and stuck it on the new panel.

IMG_4996.jpg

Once applied, I used some scratch/swirl remove on a foam pad on my drill and polished the scratches, very easy. scratches are gone.

Im pretty happy.

Now on to my front sway bar links....:D

Here's the ebay auction I bought
http://www.ebay.com/itm/121356558443

Paint matched perfectly.

It did have some fine scratches as their packaging leaves much to be desired.
Its in a plastic sleeve, wrapped in cardboard, no padding. All the rubbing inside the plastic put some scratches in it. And being black, made it really noticeable.

Thank you! I just purchase it and will report back how it goes. Thank you also for the quick write up of how you installed it! :thumbsup:

I notice that at least one person on here has purchased the Dorman pre-painted panel. My '04 just split last week during some near 0 degree weather here in TN. I had to park outside on the road a few days because of over an inch of ice on my very steep driveway. It split on a morning I had to use rear defrost clear the rear window. Rockauto has the Dorman unit pre-painted for around $90. Anyone use this piece? Experience?
Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I notice that at least one person on here has purchased the Dorman pre-painted panel. My '04 just split last week during some near 0 degree weather here in TN. I had to park outside on the road a few days because of over an inch of ice on my very steep driveway. It split on a morning I had to use rear defrost clear the rear window. Rockauto has the Dorman unit pre-painted for around $90. Anyone use this piece? Experience?
Thanks.

Two posts above you has that part and the install how to. Seems most are happy with it, maybe need some wet sanding or polish to get rid of the hairline scratches from the packaging.

Back