Light Hookup | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Light Hookup

Reaction score
City, State
Georgia
Year, Model & Trim Level
04 Explorer Sport Trac
So this is probably a really dumb question to some of you more experienced people out there but i have no idea where the source for my rear park lights is. I just got an LED license plate accent (it goes behind the license plate and gives a halo affect). I know how to put it on behind my plate but I don't how to wire it. I've tried traced the wiring but I'll admit that I get it mixed up with the other wires for my trailer hook up. Can anyone tell me where to connect the wires? Thanks ahead!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Can't you splice it into the license plate bulb wiring.

Any tips on how I would do that?

Any tips on how I would do that?

KW03.jpg

So I can do it just like that? But don't I have to cut the wire covering on the wire for the trailer lights for it to work?

Can't you splice it into the license plate bulb wiring.

So I can do it just like that? But don't I have to cut the wire covering on the wire for the trailer lights for it to work?

If you splice into the license plate lights as suggested above, you won't need to touch the trailer wires. Just reach behind your bumper and twist pull the harness from the housing to give you some slack/room and if using the connector as pictured above you wouldn't need to cut the wire covering, you just crimp it down or close the lid/flat (whatever you call it) and it does the rest. Unless I'm missing something.
That way when the tag lights are on your license plate frame light will be on.

Back