interceptor grille....new oem grille ? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

interceptor grille....new oem grille ?

BAD430BENZ

Reaction score
City, State
EL PASO , TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
'13 FORD EXPLORER SPORT
i'm wondering if there is a difference between the interceptor grille and the new 2014 OEM grille ? I ask because the interceptor grille , after inserts and shipping , from Levittown Ford is around $1075.00 .

I found the same style grille on ebay for $350.00 shipped .

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

your ford dealer is putting you through the ringer on that price!

The interceptor grille is different than a regular model grille though.

your ford dealer is putting you through the ringer on that price!

The interceptor grille is different than a regular model grille though.
it's not my dealer . check out the Levittown Ford Supercenter and see the prices .

what's the difference between the two because they look identical ?

The Interceptor grill is the same grill as the XTL just totally gloss black. The design update changes the 3.7 grill slightly, and the ecoboost has an entirely different mesh grill (with a small opening for maximum airflow and aerodynamics together).

The Interceptor grill is the same grill as the XTL just totally gloss black. The design update changes the 3.7 grill slightly, and the ecoboost has an entirely different mesh grill (with a small opening for maximum airflow and aerodynamics together).

Ya your right

For the sake of clarification lets ID these two grills as:

1. Interceptor Grill (same as XLT grill) 3.7L V6 engine

2. EcoBoost Interceptor Grill (all new mesh style) 3.5L EcoBoost Twin Turbo only

I had the oportunity to do a swap with an Interceptor EcoBoost to see what it looks like.

What do you guys think?

IMG_3954.jpg

That grill looks awesome on black sgt! Now get me one and I can show you white lol

Any chance you took a pic of the backside?

Just a thought that hasnt been addressed yet... this new grill makes it all but impossible to install any of the current offerings for a push bumper, as almost every one of them uses the original XLT/Interceptor grill openings for mounting brackets...

if the mesh was deeper, I could maybe get over the upper half of the grille being "fake" and blocked off. But with such a shallow mesh heigh, I just can't get over the upper part. The lower part looks badazz.

after seeing this pic , I am definitely staying with OEM . I have to agree with Harley :thumbsup:

That grill looks awesome on black sgt! Now get me one and I can show you white lol

I don't like the way the upper part blocks the air intake for the stock air box so I was going to cut out a few of the mesh squares.

I will take it off today and take a pic for you.

Im in agreement with most, the SPORT Grill is still the best.

Aesthetically , I like it better than my E Sport grill. I've only see some early 'spy' shots you posted a couple months ago SGT, now seeing it close up it does surprise me to see so much of the available mesh area closed off by solid plastic.:dunno: It does appear this is an intentional design to deflect or channel the air entering underhood down low, thru the intercooler primarily? I'm guessing as to why Ford would do this on their 'pursuit' rated vehicles. I think I am still willing to try it out, make some mods and paint it Ingot Silver before putting it on my Explorer:)

Here you go.....I cut out a few of the blocked quadrants that are directly in front of the air box opening so I can increase the airflow.

IMG_3960.jpg

think sport grille looks the best

Here you go.....I cut out a few of the blocked quadrants that are directly in front of the air box opening so I can increase the airflow.

IMG_3960.jpg
I would take the time to cut out all the ones on top and leave a solid bar of them through the middle where the emblem is....so the bottom half matches the top half :thumbsup:

Link and pics don't work anymore.

Anyone know where this grill can be found?

Link and pics don't work anymore.

Anyone know where this grill can be found?

I fixed the links to the pics, I never realized when you move the photos in PhotoBucket they change the links in your posts.

You can get it here by sending PM to Levittown FordPartsSuperCenter

I like that grill the best on a black truck, here it is on a white one
Ford-Police-Interceptor-utility.png

I would be careful hacking up a grille that the Ford engineers put some thought into. Overcooling an engine can be just as harmful performance wise as undercooling.

If you live in FL or AZ you might not ever have a problem, but being up North you might see some issues in winter.

Ben

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I like that grill the best on a black truck, here it is on a white one
Ford-Police-Interceptor-utility.png

Hey Billy, any chance of turning your truck *into* the sun and shooting another pic or two;) I think I like it but my eyes cant see with the shadowing:D

Back