Coolant loss/temp gauge issues | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Coolant loss/temp gauge issues

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The LI (lower intake) job is very easy. You could do it in a day or so. Realistically it's about as complicated as changing brakes.

There's 8 bolts to the upper intake, 5 or 6 vacuum hoses and 2 bolts that hold the throttle cable bracket. The throttle cable pops off pretty easy.

Then the LI is all right there. The absolute hardest part is probably loosening the fuel lines.

I was going to do it myself, but I dont have access to a shop or anything should something bad happen...i know it is basically like $50 for parts, I am just not sure I want to tackle this on my own.

You could always try Bars Leak.

I bought this X back in January. Wasnt able to do anything to it until February, a month after I bought it. The previous owner didnt know the history of it cuz she told me she had inherited it from a relative who died. Not sure if its true or not, but anyways. She told me they replaced the manual trans and put in a new heavy duty clutch. WHY they did that I'll never understand cuz that clutch is a *****! When I get alot more money, in goes a stock type clutch.
She said they replaced fluids but that was the extent of it, and it sat for 3 months. Needless to say when I started working on it, that is when all the problems started....leaking coolant was the big one.
I still have to replace all my brake system parts as they were too stupid to figure out you CANNOT put ATF in the brake system.
I have been to 3 different shops and 2 of them have now told me it is the Lower intake manifold and that its a pretty common thing. That I didnt realize. Id not heard of an intake manifold gasket leaking coolant til now...and I have owned 3 different explorers and have been on here since 2009.
The 2nd shop told me it was the radiator.
The 3rd shop told me to never go back to that one again....just wish that I had the ability and tools etc to do all my own work.

The 2nd shop told me that the leak is beyond using any stop leak, its not gushing out but its pretty bad.

You can do it! :monkey:

Only one special tool is required, I picked up a good inch-pound torque wrench at the pawn shop for $10.

Just take your time, label your hoses and such (most common screw-up; not remembering the hose and wire layout... .so label, label, label) Better yet take pictures.

Get the Two piece gasket set; much easier to work with when the engine is still in the truck.

Part number is MS98005-T

Use acetone to wipe down the surfaces just before you set the gaskets.

Use Permatex Copper seal around the water ports. I use a razor blade as a putty knife here. You just want to fill the pits in the cast iron and aluminum intake around the water ports. No need to over do it. Let dry overnight.

Just before assembly; Slap a good bead of RTV Black in the corners.

Follow the torque procedures specific to the 91' model year. It is done in four steps, increasing torque as you go. Run through all 8 bolts each time you increase torque in the same order.(use the same torque specs for the upper manifold/fuel rail with the same crisscross pattern)

Do the upper gaskets as well while you are in there (why not; cheap insurance)

Done! :biggthump

IMG_20140323_125157_zpsb08290bd.jpg

IMG_20140323_125436_zpsa3dcd52f.jpg

Oh, that's right your the guy with trans fluid in the brakes!

Maybe you should part this one out and start over with a less abused Ex.

Hate to see them go to the wrecking ball, but you may end up burying yourself in repair costs only to get in to deep to let it go.

Sounds like the previous owners were scary to say the least.

Hope you didn't pay to much for the lemon.

I mean really; you get the engine and brakes fixed and pow! the trans blows up.. ..another $2,000

On the other hand; If you bring this thing all the way back to life, you will be a knowledgeable, experienced and educated first gen Ex mechanic.

So if your looking for a challenge and want to put in the time to learn as you go, you will benefit for the rest of your life for the knowledge gained.

It has a new clutch and they replaced the transmission in it. And I am not a guy lol!
I am fixing it up as I can. It is going to the shop Wednesday to get the leak fixed. No way am I junking it. It is the only transportation that I have and Im not about to finance another vehicle. My credit is so bad.
It is original, its 23 years old. It just needs TLC.

It has a new clutch and they replaced the transmission in it. And I am not a guy lol!
I am fixing it up as I can. It is going to the shop Wednesday to get the leak fixed. No way am I junking it. It is the only transportation that I have and Im not about to finance another vehicle. My credit is so bad.
It is original, its 23 years old. It just needs TLC.

OK, OK, I get it.

Didn't know it was a manual trans, that's good news.

Just didn't want to see ya do all this just to have the "auto" trans die on ya.

You type like a MAN! LOL... .. Just play'n.

And I still think you can do it yourself.. .. .:D

I might be able to do it myself, but I don't want to chance it. It's going in on Wednesday. I don't have access to emergency transportation should something go wrong, nor do I have any extra money...

They are sturdy trucks, and I love mine.

I will continue to TLC mine even to the tune of $10,000, by the time I have spent that much I will be driving a $30,000 truck for 1/3 the price.

$30,680 was the sticker price on mine new.

I paid $1,500 and have invested $2,500 more, It is now 100% functional, even the vanity lights on the visors work.

Paint and some interior work and she'll be ready for a can of "new car smell".

I might be able to do it myself, but I don't want to chance it. It's going in on Wednesday. I don't have access to emergency transportation should something go wrong, nor do I have any extra money...

I here Ya, sometimes it just has to be done quick.

They are sturdy trucks, and I love mine.

I will continue to TLC mine even to the tune of $10,000, by the time I have spent that much I will be driving a $30,000 truck for 1/3 the price.

$30,680 was the sticker price on mine new.

I paid $1,500 and have invested $2,500 more, It is now 100% functional, even the vanity lights on the visors work.

Paint and some interior work and she'll be ready for a can of "new car smell".

Exactly! I have people telling me why the hell are you dumping money into a money pit? I told them, I OWN IT! Free and clear, I KNOW how to work on it for the most part, and I need something that I can haul stuff with.
Mind you, I would MUCH rather have a F150 SVT Raptor, but hey, They are just a tad out of my reach financially.
I paid $1,000 cash for it initially, and slowly am making it newer again. It will never be brand new, but I'd rather have something I KNOW I can work on, VS these new cars and trucks with their damn computer chips that control EVERYTHING!
Plus, eventually, I WILL Get a truck. Then I will make this SUV into an off-roader. This is just my stepping stone.

Love it.

Speaking of computers; your 91' has one.

An OBD-1 scan tool will make your life much easier in the future for troubleshooting.

Not to expensive, I paid $180 for mine 4 years ago. They are cheaper now.

Paid for itself 5 times over.

I didn't know they still made tools for our old OBD I systems. That's good news. That will be on my list of things to buy lol!

I love my explorer. It's just OLD. LOL! Anything worth having takes a little TLC. It will get together, eventually.
As for the stupid ass who put ATF in the brakes, I don't know if it was the lady's mechanic, or her kids that did that. I coulda killed them LOL. But, it's all good. I have already replaced the master cylinder. Just have to get all the rubber parts taken care of.
It's coming along, just this coolant leak is a major setback for me financially. Being on my own with nobody to depend on but myself, it's been a struggle. Since the divorce in 2012, I have had to learn to depend on nobody but myself.
If I hadn't gotten on this site, I would be so lost.

Yep, Mine is the CAN OBD-I & 2, does both.

So when you are rich and famous you can still use it on your Raptor!

Ok, I will check into finding one. So far I have not had any computer issues, just what Ive said here. Which is enough believe me. Good grief this coolant leak has had me more frustrated than I have ever been with my other 2 explorers Ive had! Ive never had this type of coolant leak.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back