Mud Flaps / Splash Guards / DIY Pics | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Mud Flaps / Splash Guards / DIY Pics

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

you just need a shorty screw driver for the rears if you don't want to take the wheel off. not much room.

Even on the rears ? I thought someone had said you may have to remove the wheels to do the rear flaps ?

Thanks

You have to drill one hole per side for the rears. I did it myself--when I rotated the tires. I was able to drill the hole by hand--without an electric drill. Just turn the bit and press while backing with the other hand..

At first I attached the rears but did not drill the holes until tire rotation. The rear mud-guards were fine for several thousand miles w/o the extra hole--you just have to be careful. No curb bashing or dragging, etc.. The are slightly more sturdy once the hole was drilled and fastener inserted.

I would still do it myself if I had to do over again...

When you drill the holes in the front, is this only thru the plastic trim or does it go thru the metal flange of the fender? I wouldn't mind drilling thru the plastic, I just don't want to break the finish into the metal?

Thanks

Just installed mine a few days ago... Super easy. The front drilling does not go into the metal. It simply goes through the plastic trim and does it very easily without excessive force on the drill. I did the rears without taking off the wheels. Drilled from the back of the car through the plastic by feeling the hole of the mudguard. Sounds difficult, but once you do it and get from behind, you'll know where to drill. Was easy. Don't pay to have them done. Directions are extremely clear.

I read here that you have to slide two metal clips onto the fender flange for the fronts to accept metal screws. Were these clips easy to get on?

Thanks

I read here that you have to slide two metal clips onto the fender flange for the fronts to accept metal screws. Were these clips easy to get on?

Thanks

yes. if I recall, you have to pull back the plastic lip to expose the metal edge so you can slide on the clip.

Yeah exactly, it quickly slides on. It's a super easy install once you sort of look at what you're doing and take a peek at what screws your removing etc...

All, do all fasteners/screws come with the OEM flaps when you purchase ?

Agreed. It is super easy. Take you time though, because realigning the plastic moldings when putting the guards in can mess with the panel lines a little.

Yes, just put them on the front,fairly easy, had to drill (1)hole on each side. Will do the rear ones next !

Let us know how the rears go and send pics of install if you can

Thanks !

[

QUOTE=huskerdude;3275770]Yes, just put them on the front,fairly easy, had to drill (1)hole on each side. Will do the rear ones next ![/QUOTE]

I just put my fronts on this weekend. They look good except there is a gap at the very top of them when looking along the side of the vehicle. They fit the contour well below this but I couldn't get this gap to close up at the top. Does anyone else have this?

I just installed the fronts this weekend. Fit is good but there is about an 1/8" gap at the top but they hug the contour of the plastic trim below that. Does anyone else have a gap at the top when looking along the side of the vehicle? I can't figure out how to close that up. Any recommendations?

I too had a gap.

I just put my fronts on this weekend. They look good except there is a gap at the very top of them when looking along the side of the vehicle. They fit the contour well below this but I couldn't get this gap to close up at the top. Does anyone else have this?
Yup. Mine were dealer installed.

Peter

Attachments

• P3230193.JPG
    P3230193.JPG
    65.8 KB · Views: 720

Thanks Peter for merging. So is this gap caused irregardless of dealer vs personal install and has anyone come up with a way to make this more snug or effectively close the gap ?

Thanks
That seems to be the case since the gap is there in both installation scenarios.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks Peter for summarizing. I hope there may be a way to close the gap or, I don't know move the installation point to help but that may not be the case. Lastly can anyone comment if the instructions show drill bit size needed or not. If not can anyone share that info here in what bit size they use ?

Thanks

Back