Installing HID? Read this first. | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Installing HID? Read this first.

^ thats what I was saying.. they are projector housings hence the straight beam of light.. I feel the retrofit to hids from halogens would work just fine (the hid housings are a bit different but not.much to my knowledge)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I tried the PIAA high output halogen lamps in our Subaru fogs and had issues with the heat they produced. They burned the glare shield silvering off. From what I've researched good quality 35 watt HIDs actually run cooler than high output halogens. I've used Silver Stars off and on in my pickup but you have to be prepared to replace them every year. I'm planning on converting my XSport to HID.... when if finally comes in next month.

before i order...

think i gave up on LED.
Im going to go with the HID kits for my headlights and fog lights from www.coolbulbs.com
GIK-9005 & GIK H11
6oook

Only if i can get a big ok from u guys??? is this a good choice if im going to convert to HID...
or should i go elsewhere?? thank you, Rich

I ordered my set of Vleds.com. Best thing I've done, install was super easy, I purchased them with the relay kit, and they look 1000x better. Just make sure you find a good ground. Had them for about a month and zero issues.

think i gave up on LED.
Im going to go with the HID kits for my headlights and fog lights from www.coolbulbs.com
GIK-9005 & GIK H11
6oook

Only if i can get a big ok from u guys??? is this a good choice if im going to convert to HID...
or should i go elsewhere?? thank you, Rich

I bought from Diode Dynamics the OEM kit $179 Shipped:

Includes:

2011-2014 Ford Explorer Hi/Lo Beam HID Conversion Kit
Ballasts
Premium CANBUS Slim Digital
HID Relay
Include with order! (hidrelay)
DRL Warning Cancelers
Include with order! (PAIR) (hidwarncan)
Bulb Size
Color/Temperature

After installing my 4300K HIDs with Relay and DRL module I notice when you start the vehicle the HID's take a few seconds to power up to full brightness.

Is this normal for HID's?

Mine have the power relay directly from the battery.

I don't remember that with my Limited Explorer with OEM HIDs

After installing my 4300K HIDs with Relay and DRL module I notice when you start the vehicle the HID's take a few seconds to power up to full brightness.

Mine have the power relay directly from the battery.

I don't remember that with my Limited Explorer with OEM HIDs
You are right about the OEM lamps. The ones on my 2011 Ltd come on full brightness right away.

Peter

Short answer is yes. As I understand it, it takes a few seconds for the ball of plasma to stabilize during which time the color of the light output (and perceived brightness) changes slightly. All the vehicles I've owned with OEM HIDs have done the same.

Thanks....they seem to be quicker then they were at first but I realized my light output was distorted because the installer (me) was a bit of a knob and didn't have one of the HID bulbs twisted in properly.

Also the one slow to boot up was bad so they are shipping me a new one.

Overall easy to moderate install 60-90 minutes, definitely worth the $179

Glad I picked 4300K looks OEM next to another Ex Limited with HID's

I ordered my set of Vleds.com. Best thing I've done, install was super easy, I purchased them with the relay kit, and they look 1000x better. Just make sure you find a good ground. Had them for about a month and zero issues.

a good ground???
its not plug and play?

I got the relay kit. It is still plug and play but it takes a little bit more. So basically what you do is plug the lights into the relay, and then plug the relay into one headlight connector (drivers side) and then you connect the relay to the positive terminal of the battery and then ground the other side. Its pretty straight forward and it will stop your HIDs from not running on enough power or damaging them since the relay controls the flow.

you can restore Original Limited HID in the Base and XLT and sport Model , but you need to Buy new Head light housing because it's D3s and the halogen is HB3 (9005) and Buy Original Ballasts and Bulbs and you need a good electrician to connect it to the main board instead of Batteries , but his Procedure can cost you up to 2000 $

gwesam, you are absolutely correct about requiring the correct housing to have proper HID lighting.

From; http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/bulbs/Hid/conversions/conversions.html

HID headlamps are terrific, and they can offer significant and substantial safety performance advantages over halogen headlamps, but only if they're designed and built as HID headlamps from the start. Installing an "HID kit" in a halogen headlamp isn't an upgrade, it's a large and serious safety downgrade.

In Canada, Transport Canada states;
If you wish to have HID headlights on a vehicle that was not originally equipped with them (ie: came from the factory with incandescent bulb headlights) you must replace the entire headlight assembly, bulbs and lenses, with HID equipment that meet the Motor Vehicle Safety Regulations (used to be CMVSS) Standard 108 and 108.1.

Peter

Where are you guys attaching the ground for relay? Just curious, going to be installing this weekend. I originally ordered from Retrofit Source the Morimoto 5five DSP, 6000k with the Canbus. Works great now, just not at startup in auto mode, I have to manually turn them on and off. I am hoping with the relay, it will alleviate that issue because it should get enough juice at startup.

Welcome to the Forum Roballo. :wavey:

Peter

gwesam, you are absolutely correct about requiring the correct housing to have proper HID lighting.

From; http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/bulbs/Hid/conversions/conversions.html

HID headlamps are terrific, and they can offer significant and substantial safety performance advantages over halogen headlamps, but only if they're designed and built as HID headlamps from the start. Installing an "HID kit" in a halogen headlamp isn't an upgrade, it's a large and serious safety downgrade.

In Canada, Transport Canada states;
If you wish to have HID headlights on a vehicle that was not originally equipped with them (ie: came from the factory with incandescent bulb headlights) you must replace the entire headlight assembly, bulbs and lenses, with HID equipment that meet the Motor Vehicle Safety Regulations (used to be CMVSS) Standard 108 and 108.1.

Peter

ok but I hate those yellow Halogen bulbs and honestly the sales man didn't tell me that my 50k car doesn't Have HID , if he told me I would buy the limited not the Sport . I assumed it has it , actually my old car 26k$ Nissan Altima 2009 Limited has it so it was a shame not to have it in the new vehicle so I decided to install it no matter what .lol now I hate my yellow Fog Lights and I will buy HID for it too .

Hi, new to the forum. If you have a sport model in Canada the drl's are running off your headlights and not the front park/turn like the factory limited setup. The sports headlights can be changed by the dealer (recode bcm) to act like the limited. This will eliminate premature failure of your HID system because of overuse. You wouldn't want them on every time your vehicle is running.

The fact that all the new Explorers have projection style headlamps makes a HID conversion easy and cheap for everyone.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hi, new to the forum. If you have a sport model in Canada the drl's are running off your headlights and not the front park/turn like the factory limited setup. The sports headlights can be changed by the dealer (recode bcm) to act like the limited. This will eliminate premature failure of your HID system because of overuse. You wouldn't want them on every time your vehicle is running.

The fact that all the new Explorers have projection style headlamps makes a HID conversion easy and cheap for everyone.
Welcome to the Forum Ecoboost365.:wavey:
Read post 55 above. In order to do a proper conversion, the headlght housing must also be changed. Many members have activated the amber lights on their Explorers.

Peter

Back