Coolant loss/temp gauge issues | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Coolant loss/temp gauge issues

Lol! Good luck with that!
Around here, people dump these explorers like crazy. Most often, the parts rigs I see on boise's craigslist are for rigs whose head gaskets are gone. Most ppl here apparently dont want to take the time and money to keep them running in good shape.
Just like mine, it is pretty much original as far as I know. And yes, it has been my pile of crap that I have had to dump money into, but that is ok. Id rather dump money into it and KNOW that it will last.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

There's a real peach 4dr 5speed down here in Arizona.

Charcoal grey with red pin's. Clean; No rust.

Manual hubs, manual transfer.

108K, headliner is toast. It's a desert thing.

All factory. No conversion here. sweet!

$1600

Think it's gonna be mine next week.

00k0k_knv5xqiihNE_600x450_zpsca05fc1e.jpg

I'm looking for a donor.

But it really needs to be a 94' Limited.

I will likely resell this one, if I get it before it gets snatched up.

MrCribb;

I can sit on it for a bit if you are really interested. You can fly out and drive it home.

So I got a written estimate for repairs at the first shop I took it to because I was told by a good facebook friend I needed to get a written quote and also to find out if they can definitively diagnose the leak. He said theres no real way to tell for certain until he takes some of the stuff off the front of the engine....
He quoted me 449 total parts and labor. He said he wont talk bad about other shops he just does what he needs to and told me he will pull some of the front stuff off to make sure that it is indeed the intake manifold. He said if it was a freeze plug, it wouldnt be leaking so high up on the motor.
My fb friend said he didnt want to see me get screwed by an auto shop. He wanted me to call a ford dealer but ive never had good luck with those types.
So tomorrow morning it gets dropped off and I am praying that this damn thing gets fixed tomorrow.
I have to have it running by friday morning so hopefully this is it.

:popcorn: :Fingers crossed emoticon needed:

TJ, I also hope things work out for you. When you can afford it I suggest you purchase a coolant pressure tester unit. With two GEN1 Ex's I've found it to be my most-used non-tool. The piece-of-c**p aftermarket radiators with the plastic side tanks never seem to last more than 3 years or so, regardless of where I get them. (The latest one - which goes in this coming weekend - has the aluminum/plastic interface coated with silicon sealant. Hopefully that will take some of the pressure off and extend its life.)
My wife and I very much like the GEN1 Explorers, and I also willingly spend whatever is necessary to keep them in reliable condition. I've had new cars over the years, but like most on this site prefer and enjoy having something that I can work on and trust.

Thanks. Yeah, I really like my 1st gen. It has character. It is also very old lol. At 23 years old, it needs alot of tlc. I will do what you suggested and buy one of those coolant pressure testers once I get some money.

Back