How does your explorer do off-road? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How does your explorer do off-road?

broncojunkie

Reaction score
City, State
Huntington, WV
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer XLT
I have a 2002 xlt and a 92 F150, both 4x4. I have to admit...that old truck will go places my explorer could only dream of. Now, I don't do much off-road traveling. Not really. However, I live in the mountains of west virginia. My road is gravel/dirt/mud/ice/snow. I definitely put both vehicles to the test this winter.

Both have 265/75 tires which are basically brand new. Both 4x4. Both have limited slip and similar gear ratios. The explorer, however, has a traction-control system that is supposed to adjust the front-rear power to send it where it is needed the most. This is much more advanced than the f150 and should allow it to perform better.

Here's an example. I have a lower driveway/parking area and also an upper spot right in front of the house. To take the ex up to the top, I have to back up and go straight at it. It will climb fine, if I'm going straight and it's not muddy or snowy out. This is in 4wd. The other day, I took the truck up there. Didn't put it in 4wd. BACKED up it at an angle. It was muddy out. The ex won't even climb like that going forward in 4wd.

I use the 4wd high selection on the ex quite often. I can, however, feel the 4wd auto working whenever I let it do the work itself. Everything seems to be working fine. I have 2" btf spacers on it, new Hankook a/t's, new ball joints, strut assemblies, etc. Everything should be in great shape.

Is this normal? Should it perform better, or are they just not that great off-road? How does yours perform?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I think they fair well off road. I would say the biggest improvement I would make to mine next is a rear locker. The only times I've been stuck in mine is because I had open diffs/ I was high centered. Hills don't seem to bother it at all unless its absurdly steep.

sounds like your F150 has posi or limited slip and your explorer is a free wheeler.

All terrain or mud terrain tires make a big difference. A $50 1.5" body lift is enough to fit 265s relatively comfortably and you can do plenty with that setup alone.. I wasn't aware that the early 2002-2005 had advancetrac...thought that came into the later models.

The Explorer has Hankook a/t tires. The f150 has Cooper a/t's. Both are basically the same size, except the ex has 16" wheels and the truck is 15". I suppose the coopers could just be a better performing tire, but I don't think that's it. The goodyears i took off were still on pretty good shape and didn't seem any worse than the Hankooks.

Back