Mud Flaps / Splash Guards / DIY Pics | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Mud Flaps / Splash Guards / DIY Pics

I am searching. I want pics of an ex SPORT and what type of splash guards it has. OEM? Husky?
If you get the OEM ones they are the same for all models. Have attached pictures of mine and moved your thread to this existing on as per my PM.

Peter

Attachments

• P7190353a.jpg
    P7190353a.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 1,008
  • P7190352a.jpg
    P7190352a.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 839

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

All
I installed the flaps and look good. Had some minor issues and a question. Issues first. On the rears the instructions show the 3 items to remove from the existing lining as screws with a screwdriver but 2 are actually nuts, minor gripe aside the middle screw to remove on the rears is plastic and those heads were stripped on both. What part can I get to replace these and can I get from a NAPA etc ?

Ok now on the question/problem. On the front flaps I cannot complete the last piece to the bottom side of the flap. For those that have installed it, it is step 7 of the Ford instructions. Specifically they seem to be referring to the plastic screw and housing you removed in step # from the inside wheel well. However, when using this in step 7 there is not enough depth in the track to push the screw in, how did all those here accomplish this step ?

I can send an image via PM if that helps. Again I am referring to step 7 of the Ford instructions if that helps.

Hope you can help with the 2 questions, thanks as always.

BTW the Ford OEM cargo liner (the one that covers the entire 3rd row when flat) is fantastic and well worth the money !

WC

In terms of the gap, I saw that and stuck some double sided adhesive tape. Wider 3m tape and pressed hard. You can't see the tape at all and now the mudflap actually holds on that upper end much better. This was a few weeks ago when I installed and have already washed car and still not even a budge in terms of un-sticking from car. The tape may give over time, I wouldn't say its a solve all but a definite help if done prior to installing so that once on, you can pull the backing and press them after they are in place.

Mine doesn't seem to have that bad a gap but like I said I cannot figure out step 7 on the instructions and which screw I am meant to use their as the depth of the screw track/hole is not deep enough. As I cannot find the instructions online or post a picture to this message that I have taken not sure how to show which area exactly I am talking about

Installed mine yesterday. The rears were a cake walk; the front set was a pain in the arse. Ended up buying some automotive rivets from Lowes for the top of the front set and bottom of the front right flap which eventually broke from pushing on it because the parts you are supposed to reuse are not long enough.

For the top gap on the front I drilled a new hole and used 1/4 plastic screw rivets. Overall, I'm satisfied with the results.

image.jpg

On a side note, I'm not thrilled about having purchased a subscription and then discovering the flakey image attachment system. I tried uploading two photos multiple times, but it only gives me the option of selecting a single image (whatever image I last uploaded).

For the top gap on the front I drilled a new hole and used 1/4 plastic screw rivets. Overall, I'm satisfied with the results.

Where did you drill the new hole? Was it thru sheet metal or thru plastic? The existing hole for the splash guard is so far toward the inner part of the splash guard that it doesn't do any good in helping to close the gap that I have.

Where did you drill the new hole? Was it thru sheet metal or thru plastic? The existing hole for the splash guard is so far toward the inner part of the splash guard that it doesn't do any good in helping to close the gap that I have.

Good point, the hole i drilled was through plastic only, and it was nearly 3/4" closer to the outside of the well.

image.jpg

You should be able to upload and attach at least 6 pictures using the Manage Attachments program. I have attached multiple photos numerous times.

Peter

Yes, the interface makes that clear. But it would not function properly for me. I dare say that I'm an IT Guru (read: IT Nerd who happens to work in IT professionally), and there is not much a user can do wrong in this circumstance. Six radio buttons, each corresponding to a selected image to upload. I tried multiple times to upload two images. My only guess at this point is that it may have something to do with my having just purchased a membership. Stranger things have happened with databases.

What did you use on the side for the fronts (the holes were the nylon fixers were before) at the part where it attaches to the side of the existing plastic trim and has a screw track rather than hole ?

I couldn't find anything long enough at parts stores that would fit so I used a screw in the end for now but not overly happy on that idea. Any suggestions would be great. Will also try and post a pic

Thanks

WC

Installation of mud flaps

I was able to buy a set of Ford-logo'ed OEM front and rear mud flaps for $88 including shipping from a very popular on-line retailer. This is half the cost of ordering them from the factory.

Installation on the front was easy because the steering could be turned very tight to leave room for installation. Rear installation instructions said to remove the rear wheels. This is why I bother to post...

With a very small cresant wrench and a short handle phillips-head screw driver I was able to remove and re-install the original screws after installing the mud flap. There is an additional snap-rivet insert that requires a hole to be drilled. There's no room to drill from the front unless the rear tire is removed like the instructions suggest.

So the trick is to use a hole punch to put a dent in the rear plastic panel that aligns with the hole in the front. Laying on the ground it's easy to drill the hole from the back even with the wheel still on. Make sure dent made by the hole punch is toward the tire so it guides the drill bit. And, make sure you don't drill into the tire. Once the hole is drilled it's easy to push in the snap rivet.

I was able to buy a set of Ford-logo'ed OEM front and rear mud flaps for $88 including shipping from a very popular on-line retailer. This is half the cost of ordering them from the factory.

Installation on the front was easy because the steering could be turned very tight to leave room for installation. Rear installation instructions said to remove the rear wheels. This is why I bother to post...

With a very small cresant wrench and a short handle phillips-head screw driver I was able to remove and re-install the original screws after installing the mud flap. There is an additional snap-rivet insert that requires a hole to be drilled. There's no room to drill from the front unless the rear tire is removed like the instructions suggest.

So the trick is to use a hole punch to put a dent in the rear plastic panel that aligns with the hole in the front. Laying on the ground it's easy to drill the hole from the back even with the wheel still on. Make sure dent made by the hole punch is toward the tire so it guides the drill bit. And, make sure you don't drill into the tire. Once the hole is drilled it's easy to push in the snap rivet.

Just installed my the other day, basically used the same method, quite easy once you get started. I also got mine online (ebay) Fairway Ford in Ohio for 85.00 shipped. They have other OEM accessories at great prices as well.

What mudflaps to get? '16 Explorer Sport

Hello. I used the search feature and didn't really see anything to answer my question, other than the mudflaps may or may not be a ***** to put on. What is the consensus on the best fitting/functioning mudflaps for a 2016 Explorer Sport? I've read that the Ford mudflaps usually result in 1 or both front flaps having a small noticeable gap after installation, although some owners didn't have that issue. As much as I think Ford should have the best fitting mudflaps, what about the Weathertechs? I've only read a few posts about them, as most of my search results were related to the Ford mudflaps. Since basically all of the threads were regarding how to install them, what about the performance? Anyone have mudflaps and aren't happy with them? I was washing our Explorer the other day and noticed quite a bit of road grime that the tires had slung on the lower body. So now I'd like to hopefully reduce it, if possible.

Thanks!!

I almost posted this same question yesterday. I am sure that any will keep the body cleaner, but how do they look on the 2016 Sport? Does anybody have pictures of the different brands on the Sport. My wife says that she wants NO MUDFLAPS, but she is not the one that spends hours washing it just to see the side get all dirty the next day when she drives through a puddle. I said, okay, no mudflaps, I'll just get splash guards. LOL.

After reading your post, I chose the wrong wording. I'm sure most people think of mudflaps as the monster thick rubber sheets found on 18 wheelers and dump trucks. lol I want the hard ABS plastic splash guards. :) Pics would be great!!

Made these from the ones the dealer installed and they work great at keeping mud and road grime off the rear. Grinded off the rivets to separate the aluminium plate, sanded, painted and then clear coated. Reinstalled plate with small plastic bolts and then reinstalled on Ford with original screws. small can of paint and clear coat $15 and screws $2.50.
mud%20flpas.jpg

Get the big, honking mudflaps with the naked women on them!

Hello. I used the search feature and didn't really see anything to answer my question, other than the mudflaps may or may not be a ***** to put on. What is the consensus on the best fitting/functioning mudflaps for a 2016 Explorer Sport? I've read that the Ford mudflaps usually result in 1 or both front flaps having a small noticeable gap after installation, although some owners didn't have that issue. As much as I think Ford should have the best fitting mudflaps, what about the Weathertechs? I've only read a few posts about them, as most of my search results were related to the Ford mudflaps. Since basically all of the threads were regarding how to install them, what about the performance? Anyone have mudflaps and aren't happy with them? I was washing our Explorer the other day and noticed quite a bit of road grime that the tires had slung on the lower body. So now I'd like to hopefully reduce it, if possible.

Thanks!!
Not sure what you searched on but there is a 3 page thread on the topic. I have merged yours with it (this one).

BTW, as I've posted before, I had no problem getting the dealer to throw these in for free plus free installation on my 2011 Explorer.

Peter

Not sure what you searched on but there is a 3 page thread on the topic. I have merged yours with it (this one).

BTW, as I've posted before, I had no problem getting the dealer to throw these in for free plus free installation on my 2011 Explorer.

Peter

Thanks Peter. I read this thread in it's entirety before starting a new thread since this one seems to be 3 pages on how to install the OEM flaps. There aren't any comparisons in this thread to the weathtech or other aftermarket flaps, which may be due to nobody using anything else. Hopefully someone will chime in before I order, and talk about their experience with other flaps. Great advice on getting the dealer to throw the flaps in for free as a deal sweetener. I didn't even think of adding flaps when we purchased it.

Thanks Peter. I read this thread in it's entirety before starting a new thread since this one seems to be 3 pages on how to install the OEM flaps. There aren't any comparisons in this thread to the weathtech or other aftermarket flaps, which may be due to nobody using anything else. Hopefully someone will chime in before I order, and talk about their experience with other flaps. Great advice on getting the dealer to throw the flaps in for free as a deal sweetener. I didn't even think of adding flaps when we purchased it.

I have a full set of the Huskylners splash guards for sale in the classifieds if you're interested.

How come you don't except PM's?

Good point, the hole i drilled was through plastic only, and it was nearly 3/4" closer to the outside of the well.

View attachment 78034

Yes, the interface makes that clear. But it would not function properly for me. I dare say that I'm an IT Guru (read: IT Nerd who happens to work in IT professionally), and there is not much a user can do wrong in this circumstance. Six radio buttons, each corresponding to a selected image to upload. I tried multiple times to upload two images. My only guess at this point is that it may have something to do with my having just purchased a membership. Stranger things have happened with databases.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

How come you don't except PM's?
FYI his last post was June 26, 2014. The member may no longer be active on the Forum.

Peter

Back