• Register Today It's free!

2wd to 4wd?

kevingute

Reaction score
City, State
Lancaster, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 mountaineer
I have a 2000 mountaineer 5.0 2wd but I'd like to convert it to 4wd. Just wanted to know if all the awd front end components can swap into my 2wd front end? Axles, control arms, ect. Thanks for any info!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yes you can install all the parts the mounts are already on the frame for the front diff.

Awesome thanks! Are the lower control arms different?

Well actually I found a thread on here that basically described what parts I will need for the swap. Just to confirm though...I do not need to change any front end suspension parts? Lower and upper control arms don't have to be changed?

That's correct, both control arms are the same for 2wd and 4wd.

Is the front differential and axles on the 4.0 4x4 version any different than the 5.0 AWD version? Can I swap the front differential and axles from a 4.0 vehicle? Are the 4.0 components weaker? I was strolling around the junkyard today being miscellaneous and noticed the 4.0 4x4 front ends looked very similiar to the 5.0 vehicles front end. Unfortunately the 5.0 vehicles were only 2wd, while the 4.0 vehicles were 4x4.

The front axles are the same on both. The only thing you need to do is match the gear ratio on the front axle you pick up to the ratio of your rear axle.

Back