What will replace your Sport Trac? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

What will replace your Sport Trac?

For me, I love the STA and wish there was a replacement Ford for similar size and capability, but it simply is not on the horizon. So I will likely replace mine in the future with a new F150. Fuel mileage improvement with the new aluminum truck and power trains will be hard to resist. I am tiring of 15.6MPG with my mid size truck when a new full size will add nearly 10MPG to that...

I can walk the few extra feet to park out in the "open" spots

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

When the time comes i will get my self a F-150 since Ford is no longer making the ST and ranger no way getting other brand!

I owned a Dodge Ram 1500 Quad cab for 3 years. Shortly after the Hemi novelty wore off I hated it. It was way to big for my needs and I was constantly the go to guy when someone needed something moved.
I owned 2004 Lightning for a short period but it was a lemon. Spent the majority of its time I owned it in the shop and I traded it in for the STA. I preferred the smaller Regular cab F150 size over the Ram quad cab.

I have no intention of getting rid of the STA and with only 29k miles on it do not feel the need but if my STA was totaled tomorrow I guess I would go out and get the overpriced F150 Tremor.

It's about the only thing I like out there these days except for the Explorer Sport but I do need a pick up.

Or I would try to find another low mileage STA.

Please Ford, bring the EuroRanger here.

326,000 miles on my 2001. I am considering an F150. Too big for what I need...but...

I just drove a 2nd Gen ST for the first time today. v8 limited 2007. Not sure I liked it as much as my gen 1. Maybe I will wait until 400,000 miles and re-think. Would be nice to get something not broken in yet...like something with 150,000 miles or so. My gen 1 does have a 302 though, so maybe it made some difference too. :)

another 2nd gen trac. mines been perfect

I just thought I'd share these here:
2011%20-%202013%20ford%20ranger%20t6%20venom%20front%20bumper.jpg

2011%20-%202013%20ford%20ranger%20t6%20venom%20side%20steps%28supercab%29-3.jpg

2011%20-%202013%20ford%20ranger%20t6%20stealth%20front%20bumper-1.jpg

1422404_621472437913782_2056873434_n.jpg

533780_578641718863521_1092161325_n.jpg

I don't know if any of you guys are familiar with ADD, but they're actually out of Phoenix. After snooping around their gallery, it seems they've shipped the bumpers to NZ and AUS. Our lack of T6 Ranger really makes me sad.

The more I think about this thread topic, the more I am worried that I will end up replacing my ST with a Tacoma some day. I like a <6ft bed, I really don't want anything over 212" long, I've lost hope in the 2015 Colorado (just in terms of re-kindling US interest in smaller trucks) because of all of GM's recalls, and I personally think the 2015 F150 looks a bit ugly (not to mention 79+" width is way too much for my liking).

You really don't want a Mr.Goodwrench ....

Whoa...the ADD trucks look Australian all the way. :)

After looking at F150's, I think it would be hard to get in a GM. I think I would get a Ram first.

Is it just me or do I see Honda in that GM?

Whoa...the ADD trucks look Australian all the way. :)

After looking at F150's, I think it would be hard to get in a GM. I think I would get a Ram first.

Is it just me or do I see Honda in that GM?

I was thinking a closer rip off of the euro ranger with that rounded front and the curve of the back cab.

As for a Ram, just make sure you have lots of cash to replace transmissions when the warranty runs out if you use it as a truck at all.

My Challenger is in the shop right now for a timing chain recall on the Hemi. Didn't know about transmission problems. I would likely get the new transmission (8 spd). Those haven't been tested yet. :)

I got an extended warranty on the Dodge. Too many computers and modules to trust. It is funny that I always have to rely back on my 325,000 mile ST.

My best friend bought a 08 with a cummins in it new off the lot. Now he worked rigs at the time but the first transmission lasted 60k kms before it went. His second was at 140k. Brother inlaw has a 08 hemi and he is on his third transmission as well. He works at a potash mine so its mainly highway miles for his POS too. Another buddy has one of those calibers, probably a 06. He is on his second transmission, but from the sounds of it they are so cheap to replace in those things they just toss them instead of working on them. That's my only experience with dodge.

Good to know.

Stumbled on this article from October while browsing the Internet last night.

Nothing official but at least Ford is talking about a midsize truck again.
Seems like the European Ranger wont happen here in the US.

I hope they decide to work off the current Ex platform and bring back the ST and STA model!
If that's possible with the wheelbase and unibody construction?

Ford needs to stop dragging their feet and get moving on this!
Chevy and GMC we're number 1 and 2 for the month of October for the fastest moving trucks.
The Colorado being number 1 and Canyon number 2.
And the Toyota Tacoma models were 3 and 4.

Ford didn't even make the top 10.
It could be that folks are waiting on the 2015 model but who knows?

Fastest-Selling Pickups
1. 2015 Chevrolet Colorado Crew Cab, 9 days on sale
2. 2015 GMC Canyon Crew Cab, 11
3. 2015 Toyota Tacoma Extended Cab, 13
4. 2015 Toyota Tacoma Crew Cab, 13
5. 2015 Toyota Tundra Crew Cab, 13
6. 2015 Toyota Tundra CrewMax, 14
7.2015 Ram 2500 HD Crew Cab, 19
8. 2015 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Crew Cab, 20
9.2015 GMC Sierra Denali 3500 Crew Cab, 20
10. 2015 GMC Sierra Denali 1500 Crew Cab, 21

Well...I just got a 2007 ST v8. :) Guess that is my replacement for my 2001. I'll try to keep this one for some years and worry about the next replacement then. :)

Stumbled on this article from October while browsing the Internet last night.

Nothing official but at least Ford is talking about a midsize truck again.
Seems like the European Ranger wont happen here in the US.

I hope they decide to work off the current Ex platform and bring back the ST and STA model!
If that's possible with the wheelbase and unibody construction?

Ford needs to stop dragging their feet and get moving on this!
Chevy and GMC we're number 1 and 2 for the month of October for the fastest moving trucks.
The Colorado being number 1 and Canyon number 2.
And the Toyota Tacoma models were 3 and 4.

Ford didn't even make the top 10.
It could be that folks are waiting on the 2015 model but who knows?

Fastest-Selling Pickups
1. 2015 Chevrolet Colorado Crew Cab, 9 days on sale
2. 2015 GMC Canyon Crew Cab, 11
3. 2015 Toyota Tacoma Extended Cab, 13
4. 2015 Toyota Tacoma Crew Cab, 13
5. 2015 Toyota Tundra Crew Cab, 13
6. 2015 Toyota Tundra CrewMax, 14
7.2015 Ram 2500 HD Crew Cab, 19
8. 2015 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Crew Cab, 20
9.2015 GMC Sierra Denali 3500 Crew Cab, 20
10. 2015 GMC Sierra Denali 1500 Crew Cab, 21

I get what you mean, "fastest moving", but I'd venture to say the majority of those are customer-ordered, or "incoming sold" units, which skews the numbers. I remember when the Ford CMAX hybrid came out. I talked to a dealer friend of mine, his dealerships first 10 or 12 incoming units were either ordered by customers in advance, and of his incoming stock units, a couple already had deposits on them. So when they hit the ground they were gone in a day or two. Thus appearing as extremely hot sellers.

October 2014 month-long sales numbers for US:
63,410 F-series
46,966 Silverado
39,834 Ram
18,564 Sierra
13,010 Tacoma
9,525 Tundra
6,568 Frontier
1,491 Colorado
990 Titan
802 Ridgeline
667 Canyon

Combined, the Silverado & Sierra outsold the F-series by 2,120 units. This is the 3rd month in a row this has happened. I'd say its got something to do with the new aluminum F150 coming out, would-be buyers waiting like you said.

Combined, the Silverado & Sierra outsold the F-series by 2,120 units. This is the 3rd month in a row this has happened. I'd say its got something to do with the new aluminum F150 coming out, would-be buyers waiting like you said.

Actually it's due to the wait on the 2015 F150's plus the fact that inventory on 14's is light and Ford even reduced rebates on them vs. this time last year to make what is left last due to the fact one of the two plants was shut down for 2 months re-rigging the equipment for the new aluminum production. Scary part is that the new 2015 F150 is going up $3-7k in price depending on trim/options plus the lack of any decent rebates means people will easily pay an extra $10k+ more for a 2015 vs. 2014. Not sure what Ford's new play is but every suv/truck is going up enourmous. 2015 F150 Platinum Loaded over $60k (as much as a current Raptor) 2015 Edge Sport maxes out over $50k, new 2016 Explorer Platinum said to max out over $60k...

I still say bring the Ranger back and just call it an F-100 and let them keep it as an F-Series sale so they don't loose thier "Best Selling Truck 37 Years" title.

Looks like Ford is going to be 1 owner short. Found a nice Tacoma a couple miles out. With any luck after I get the cam chain fixed I will be driving it home. Here's hoping. For can suck my !@#$

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Looks like Ford is going to be 1 owner short. Found a nice Tacoma a couple miles out. With any luck after I get the cam chain fixed I will be driving it home. Here's hoping. For can suck my !@#$

hahaha...I saw some of your posts before my purchase. I searched the forum for issues as I know a lot about the 1st gens but knew nothing about the 2nd gen. You helped me to keep getting the price down. Thanks. I still think I had to pay too much for an older truck, but that is what they are going for.

My 1st gen is great, but I wanted to move on. Maybe I will regret it, but I hope not.

Back