Whistling sound & losing power 05 Explorer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Whistling sound & losing power 05 Explorer

czed

Reaction score
City, State
Canada East Coast
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 F-150
Went out for a drive this afternoon, and what initially I thought was a squealing belt turned out to be something entirely different. I would typically only hear it only on acceleration, but then it started to do it all the time, and worse as I pushed on the pedal, louder as I pushed on the pedal, an quieted some when I let off on the pedal. To make matters worse, it was losing power, and I could hardly get it to pull itself up my street. Once I parked it, it idled fine, but when I popped the hood, the whistling sound was extremely loud and I'm not sure if its sucking air somewhere etc... but it sounded more like from the passenger side of the engine bay. No check engine light or anything came on, so what I'm wondering can anyone recommend what to start looking for? Are there any specific hoses, gaskets etc.. that could be the culprit? Please accept my thanks for any input, it is appreciated. My Explorer is a 2005 XLT 4.6l V8.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Possibly check the pcv valve/hose. Sounds like you have a large vacuum leak somewhere. If its hard to find use a propane canister and a hose, and spray the propane around areas where you think the noise is coming from while idling. You will find the spot when your engine idle suddenly shoots up.

Clarification: The idle wont "shoot up" but it will noticeably change if you're paying attention.

I haven't driven the truck for a week now, so I went out today and fired it up and tried to see if I could find any vacuum leaks anywhere. I ran it for a while, and I didn't find that the exhaust got overly hot, and it isn't throwing any codes whatsoever. When you first start the truck up it lets out a squeal just as it starts, it idles fine, but as soon as you touch the pedal it starts to squeal, let off, it stops. I didn't bother taking it for a drive as I didn't want to get stranded if something happened. If its a plugged cat, would I be getting some codes? I tried it several times, after having the truck running and hit the pedal several times but it hasn't shown anything. Any ideas?

Any chance the throttle body motor could be the problem? Will they make noise when not working properly?

They had drive by wire in 2000? I know 04 did

Mine is a 2005 XLT with the 4.6 engine

Have you gotten any info on this yet? I have an 05 limited with the 4.6 and my truck has been down for a month already with still no answers yet. I have the same issues going on. So far I have replaced the tps the egr maf cleaned throttle body cleaned and replaced and still this screech from the engine. Seems to be from near the top of the motor around the throttle body but that isnt the issue. I have no codes and NO ACCELERATION! I cant get my rpms over 2000. I have no clue what else this could be so any answers would be great.

Look for loose spark plugs and/or blown out plugs. They will whistle sometimes as the compression blows out the plug orifice.

Has anyone figured this out I have this going on with my 05 4.6l Ford explorer limited driving me nuts iv brought it to three different shops and have had three different answers now the latest one I got was told it's the manifold cus one bolt is missing to me that doesnt make sense but I may be wrong please any help ??????

Back