96 High Mileage, can I put a 99 motor in? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

96 High Mileage, can I put a 99 motor in?

rost495

Reaction score
City, State
La Grange Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 explorer
I can't seem to google up the info.

I have a 96, V6 4.0. Its got over 350K miles on it and the tranny.

Have access to under 80K miles 99 V6. I don't have more info at this time, but is it even remotely possible I could swap the motor and transmission without issues?

Its my daily work drive and it gets beat up pretty well on fire pages, goes from cold start to fairly fast trying to get to the station.

I'd just like to know if its even worth trying to pursue. Nothing wrong wiht the rest of the vehicel and its been really good, but 300 bucks or so for the motor and trans is better than 5-6000 for a new one of each installed.

THanks, Jeff

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It can be done. But more information is necessary. Is your explorer a ohv or sohc. Is the motor the same ohv or sohc?

Thank you, now that I know its possible, I"ll get some info on my stuff and the other stuff!

I"m sure I"ll be back....

Jeff

The transmission may be different.

The SOHC didn't come out until 97, so you have the 4.0 OHV. If the low mileage one is an OHV it will swap in (may need to change things like the wiring harness over). If it's the same engine, I'd grab them If the transmission is different, you can always try to resell it to recoup some cash.

The words wiring harness scare me. Should they?

If I may add to Kevins post, the 5R55E transmission was first released in '97 (as the first domestic five speed automatic IIRC), so you would need the PCM also.

Back