Black as night | Page 6 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Black as night

I assume an etch primer is an etch primer, not sure. Mine ppg in a can from my auto shop. For regular primer I used SEM 39133 flexible primer surfacer in a spray can, stuff is awesome. I didn't replace the tape but probably should have as it doesn't sit perfectly flush now.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I learned on my e46 to buy all new clips and plastic rivets for any moldings or anything lol... It's never fun having breaking clips and not having new ones to replace with. Even when I relaxed my bumpers on my car, I put all new plastic rivets and bumper mounts. It was much easier knowing I wouldn't have to worry at all about breaking them... Of course the car is 11 years old vs our 2014 XLT

Looks good :thumbsup:

I like "Blacked out" vehicles but the wife had to have the Platinum White paint on this one :(

Looks good :thumbsup:

I like "Blacked out" vehicles but the wife had to have the Platinum White paint on this one :(
I'm with your wife. Ahh..in agreement that is.:D

Peter

To add to Bstollmaier removal of the handle covers. I found it easier to actually remove the door handle assembly and then pop the cover off.

To remove the door handle assembly you still need to loosen the screw in the door (near the weather stripping. See Bstollmaier video). Pop the small cover off the door handle. This serves as either a key hole, or a stop. Once you removed the smaller cover, grab the handle and slide it to the left (passenger side) or right (driver side). This should pop the door handle off of the latch in the door and the door handle should come completely out (it will have wiring attached to it if you have the touch sensitive door handles).

To put the door handle back in do the reverse process.

Bstollmaier, I dig your ride :thumbsup: We just got my wife's back from the paint shop yesterday (blacked out the the grill, door handles, bottom side trim, rear chrome piece the says "EXPLORER", and de-badged the rear gate). May I remind you, the car is only 12 days old :D Here's a pic of the grill's new look. I'll post up pics of the whole thing probably this weekend, after we get the new 22s put on it. They should be here Friday.

Here are the wheels we're getting

13538749325_2608b980a6.jpg

A lot of people have "blacked out" parts of their black Explorers and they look great. A lot of focus has been on blacking out the chrome door handles. So when you black those out, what sticks out now and grabs your attention? The white mirror signals. So I grabbed a can of VHT Nightshades and hit my mirror signals with a couple coats as well as a couple coats of VHT clear coat. They now look grayed out (I didn't want to lose too much light output vs blacked out). I think they blend in with the plastic mirror trim pretty well. I left the finish matte and didn't wet sand.

mirrorhandle.jpg

Btw for my black door handles: I removed them, sanded/scuffed them, put a couple coats of Plastikote primer, about 4 coats of black metallic plastikote, then about another 4 coats of clear coat (not VHT like above). It's been about 6 months and they're still looking good.

Looks good. I like those wheels. Post pics when you're done.

Those wheels look great! Can you post which offset you went with and perhaps take a few side photos to show how flush they fit? Also, do you know how heavy they are, I've searched the net but nothing came up.

Here's a few more shots of it. I was really worried the wheels were gonna stick out, but after seeing it in person, they sit flush. The wheels are 22x9.5 w/ +32 offset (standard order for this truck) with 285/35/22 tires. Wife hasn't heard any rubbing yet :)

Holliwood nice looking Ex, loving those wheels. Now just do the roof rails and your set

Thanks for the pics, looks flush to me!

Yeah, those are next. I didn't think about it when we painted the rest. I'll be taking it back to my painter soon to do the rails, smoke the front lights (change the inner chrome to black), and we're gonna smoke the Ford emblems so they'll look like they're black chrome. Should get the same effect as the black emblems without all the hassle of changing them :) After that, I think we'll be set, unless the wifey comes up with some other crazy ideas for it.

Holliwood nice looking Ex, loving those wheels. Now just do the roof rails and your set

For any of you Houston peeps that need wheels on your ride, here's a little unofficial advertisement for my wife's business. The boss' son took these this morning and, of course, had to get the business name and phone# in the background ;D

13607265055_acb913d1ba.jpg

You aren't lowered with springs, correct? I'm wondering if the wheels would need some spacer help to still sit flush if lowered a tad.

Couldn't tell you on that, but I do know it isn't getting lowered. The wife wants it stock suspension. This is our family vehicle and we travel a lot, so she doesn't wanna chance messing up the ride at all.

You aren't lowered with springs, correct? I'm wondering if the wheels would need some spacer help to still sit flush if lowered a tad.

Hey Holliwood, if you're still around on this forum, can you direct me to where you got your chrome trim painted?

Hey Holliwood, if you're still around on this forum, can you direct me to where you got your chrome trim painted?
Member was "last seen" here January 7th.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back