4406 swap questions

Josh C.

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Live in: Santa Ana, CA - - - From: Oshawa, Ontario
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Mounty v8 AWD
So I read through a lot of the threads on the 4406 swap last night...so much reading I was dreaming about the conversion. Even with everything I read I would like to clear up a few things.

I'm in the market for another explorer. I have a 2wd v6 right now and I want to move to a 4x4. The v6 offers a true 4x4 but all my reading led me to believe that a v8 with the TC swap was the greatest thing since sliced bread.

I want to make sure I understand the VSS differences, so please correct me if I misunderstand anything. I plan on a manual swap and want to keep this as simple as possible:

Explorers from 1999 to 2001 will not need to do any sort of modification to the VSS because the Explorer VSS is not located in the Tcase?
If I purchase an Explorer from these years I can use ANY Tcase from the F150 year range of 97-2003 i would just have to plug the VSS hole on the donor Tcase?

Explorers from 1996-1998 have the VSS located in the Tcase?
If I purchase an Explorer from these years I should look for a donor Tcase from 97-99 F150's because these F150 years have the VSS drive gear all ready installed? A different color VSS gear (gear with different teeth) on the explorer side may have to be switched out so the speedo reflects the correct speed?
If I purchase a Donor Tcase from a 2000-2003 F150 I will have to install a drive gear into the Tcase like 410Fortune did?

Thanks for helping my Brontosaurus brain digest this.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sounds like you hit this one one the head almost I have a 98 v8 awd and the vss is in the rear diff. Other then that all the info you have is right.

K thanks. You also answered my question of where the VSS is located in the later model G2 Explorers.

Glad to help.

More questions

I just received my manual BW4406 Tcase and after looking at it I have a few question.

1. On the back of the case there is a brown wire, where does it go/what does it do - I found this answer, its for a later model f150 magic clutch thingy, not need for 4406 swap

2. On the front of the case there is a hose nipple, what attaches to it/what does it do? My 4404 has a nipple on it also but no hose attached

3. Also on the front of the case below the nipple is a threaded hole for some type of sensor. My 4404 doesn't have anything like that. Do I need a sensor there? Obviously I need to plug it with something. I think this link #18 covers what the hole is for, am I correct? I dont have the sensor does anyone know what size it is or part number? http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=166726&highlight=4406+rubber

Thanks

that sensor should be for your 4x4 indicator light in the dash. i found a old ford number 4L3Z-7E440-AB. call a parts store, they might be able to cross ref it. you will also need the pig tail end as well.
as for the hose nipple, that is just a breather tube for the case. if you can find a vacuum tube that fits on it, that will work. you can mount it up on top of the trans or some place higher.

that sensor should be for your 4x4 indicator light in the dash. i found a old ford number 4L3Z-7E440-AB. call a parts store, they might be able to cross ref it. you will also need the pig tail end as well.
as for the hose nipple, that is just a breather tube for the case. if you can find a vacuum tube that fits on it, that will work. you can mount it up on top of the trans or some place higher.

Great post! This really helps me because I just did the conversion and that switch actually broke on my x-case.

Here is a helpful link on a f-150 forum regarding the switch ( or "oil switch" as it is called in the post )

http://www.f150online.com/forums/other-powertrain/257496-need-help-4x4-2.html

Back