How to: Explorer LED Interior swap + Puddle Lamps DIY | Page 12 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to: Explorer LED Interior swap + Puddle Lamps DIY

Okay, all interior is done except 2nd and third row lights. So for those of us with "non moon roof" it looks like putting a third row light in place of the 2nd row light will fix the problems people are having, is that correct. Those two look out of place compared to the led's so I'm eager to get them changed.:)

That's what I did....I have two 3rd row lights

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks, I'll have to get one ordered.:thumbsup:

does anyone know how to replace the 2nd and 3rd row lights with leds on a 2014 explorer

does anyone know how to replace the 2nd and 3rd row lights with leds on a 2014 explorer
Welcome to the Forum guill1234. :salute:
I believe all your answers are already in this thread including bulb numbers.
It would also be very helpful if you added the model of your 2014 Explorer to your profile so it will show in the left margin. Not all models have the same features.

Peter

Sorry all, new to this thread, and have been reading. I'm not quite sure what the bulbs are that you need to do the swap, it's not clearly spelled out on this thread. Just to make sure...

Map Lights = 2 x 5-LED 194 bulb
License Plate = 2 x 5-LED 194 bulb
2nd Row = 2 x 5-LED 194 bulb
3rd Row = ?
Puddle Lights/Underside of side mirrors = ?
Glove Box = ?
Vanity Mirrors = ?
Lower Tailgate light = ?
Reverse Tail Light = ?

Please fill out the "?" and/or any incorrect bulbs

Thanks!

Peter,
can you tell me where? i cant find specific answers to my model. 2014 explorer xlt. i am completely dissapointed with the interior lighting of this vehicle. the visor lights are worthless, along with the map lights, dome lights for the 2nd row, 3rd row and cargo area. American cars always manage to dissapoint in one way or another.

Peter,
can you tell me where? i cant find specific answers to my model. 2014 explorer xlt. i am completely dissapointed with the interior lighting of this vehicle. the visor lights are worthless, along with the map lights, dome lights for the 2nd row, 3rd row and cargo area. American cars always manage to dissapoint in one way or another.
I believe that the interior lighting on all models as far as bulbs and wiring is likely the same. Therefore you should be able to follow any directions that have been posted. I compared the bulb specs for the 2011 with the 2014 and they are identical except for the backup and rear turn signal bulbs.

Peter

I just removed my 2nd and 3rd lighting which is in the middle of vthe cabin and not the sides like previous models. It has two single LEDs integrated to a circuit board. There is no bulb or LED that can simply be replaced. It has to be soldered to the circuit board. I was however able to replace the visor lights with an LED.

Sounds like it would be the same as for the cargo area on previous models. There are step by step instructions how to solder a white LED into that in this thread.

I will look for that soldering info. Actually the rear cargo looks like a bulb and the light is not centered above, but low on the left cargo area wall. The lighting is poor due to the location and practically useless if you have a box or anything blocking it.

I will look for that soldering info. Actually the rear cargo looks like a bulb and the light is not centered above, but low on the left cargo area wall. The lighting is poor due to the location and practically useless if you have a box or anything blocking it.
There was one post by a member who added one of those stick on LED 'pucks' for use back there.

Peter

Oh wow, I had no idea they made such drastic changes to their lighting in the 14 models. Unfortunately not for the better by the sounds of it....

Maybe something like this could be rigged up, since I assume you would probably have a power outlet in the trunk. Depending on how tech savvy or how talented of a DIYer you are, this could be integrated quite nicely.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Generic-Charge-Interior-Decorative-Atmosphere/dp/B00DU63HZG

Sorry if this is a new thread but I couldn't find the previous one anymore where someone had started it and mentioned that they didn't know how to replace the second row bulbs. I just swapped mine tonight!

Here is the DIY
(This is how I did it, which doesn't mean there is no other way. All I needed was 2 screw drivers)

The front dome lights:

With a flat head screw driver pop out the clear plastic gently. It will be a bit reluctant to come out but it will come off all the way without forcing it.

IMG_0957.jpg

I then proceeded with removing the aluminum "foil." It is very thin so be careful not to bend it out of shape too much.
Once it's off you'll have easy access to pull the bulb out.

IMPORTANT! Before putting the LED bulb in, put the foil back in place, otherwise it won't fit over the bulb.

Once the foil is in, inset the bulb and test it. If it doesn't, flip the bulb.

Once they are both in, you can clip the plastic back in and voila!

The rear ones are EASIER!

Under the flip out coat hanger you'll find a screw, see below:
IMG_0958.jpg

Once the screw is out, the assembly will come out:

IMG_0959.jpg

The bulb is located in the side of the housing. To remove it, simply twist the bulb assembly 45 degrees and it pops out:

IMG_0964.jpg

IMG_0961.jpg

put it all back in, and this is the result:

IMG_0962.jpg

IMG_0965.jpg

I also replaced the license plate lights, which is so simple, it's pretty much self explanatory, but if anyone is in doubt, don't hesitate to ask.

IMG_0967-1.jpg

Hi, Me and My 14 years old son just follow the instructions in this post and now we have LED Lights Ready!! Thank You...

I believe that the interior lighting on all models as far as bulbs and wiring is likely the same. Therefore you should be able to follow any directions that have been posted. I compared the bulb specs for the 2011 with the 2014 and they are identical except for the backup and rear turn signal bulbs.

Peter

I just removed my 2nd and 3rd lighting which is in the middle of vthe cabin and not the sides like previous models. It has two single LEDs integrated to a circuit board. There is no bulb or LED that can simply be replaced. It has to be soldered to the circuit board. I was however able to replace the visor lights with an LED.

PASSENGER LIGHTS:
Indeed. I'll try to get a couple of pics taken of these new style lights. They're not bad, they provide a fair amount of light...how they work is pretty ingenious really. They provide very focused light to each passenger area which extends outside when the door is open to also function as a puddle light for rear passengers...just not the right color to match the rest of an LED swap.
The second row has two SMD's attached directly to the circuit board and the third row has a singe SMD. They're bright and probably have a crazy long life, only problem is that they have some sort of yellow liquid that's been hardened over the top of the bulb to give it a warmer more hallogen'y appearance.

CARGO LIGHT:
The cargo light (lower left corner, located at the base of the side panel), however, is a festoon bulb. I didn't take a measurement of it yet, but the assembly removes similar to the puddle lights. Only difference there is that they don't need to be modified to open them, since they don't need to be sealed from the weather. They open with a simple push tab similar to the license plate lights.

QUESTION:
Has anyone else modded the new LED passenger lights in the second or third row? Also, anyone have a measurement of the cargo festoon MM? Puddle lights are 31mm, but I hear that's too small for this one.

See sig for specs

new ford owner

Hi everyone

just purchased a 2014 explorer xlt 4wd.

I wanted to know if there is forum on my following question or if someone knows the answer.

I want to change the interior lights on my explorer but the second and third row lights are sitting on a circuit board with a light that is led in design nut has a halogen output.

has anyone solved this issue with their explorer and if so could you please provide a solution

thanks

Aj

Hi everyone

just purchased a 2014 explorer xlt 4wd.

I wanted to know if there is forum on my following question or if someone knows the answer.

I want to change the interior lights on my explorer but the second and third row lights are sitting on a circuit board with a light that is led in design nut has a halogen output.

has anyone solved this issue with their explorer and if so could you please provide a solution

thanks

Aj
Welcome to the Forum ajay078.:wavey:
As per my PM, I have merged your thread/post with this existing one on LED replacements. Good luck.

Peter

Lighting question

I have a 14' XLT without moonroof/sunroof and would like to change lighting to LEDs but know that you can't because they are attached to the circuit board. Are there after market ones or any suggestion. This is to include the courtesy lighting under the side mirrors?

Explorer Specific LED Lighting Products

I have a 14' XLT without moonroof/sunroof and would like to change lighting to LEDs but know that you can't because they are attached to the circuit board. Are there after market ones or any suggestion. This is to include the courtesy lighting under the side mirrors?

Hi Swartz, our company, DAYTIME BrightLites makes LED upgraded dome lights for the Explorer. Our LED domes are much whiter and up to 5x brighter than the stock yellow LED dome lights. We offer an Explorer specific interior LED replacement bulb pack as well.
DOME-EXP-Side-By-Side_DualCOB_zps7c186916.jpg

We also make the only plug and play LED puddle light replacement product to replace the stock OEM mirror lamp.

Learn more about our Explorer specific LED lighting products at our online webstore, www.DriveBright.com. Thanks, Dan Smith

ExplorerBanner_zps85c57fac.gif

back

Hey all I just got back to the states from Afghanistan. I just read through this thread to see any updates but it looks like my destroy the led light method still works haha. Since I did the mods and added the 1k ohm resistors I have had no issues. My ex has almost 45,000 miles on her and all leds are running strong even the the scrape and add third row. I like the idea of the red leds haha keep up the modding!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hey all I just got back to the states from Afghanistan. I just read through this thread to see any updates but it looks like my destroy the led light method still works haha. Since I did the mods and added the 1k ohm resistors I have had no issues. My ex has almost 45,000 miles on her and all leds are running strong even the the scrape and add third row. I like the idea of the red leds haha keep up the modding!

i did a mistake by buying dozen a dime LED (3 $ for 10 bulbs) T10 now they are all out , I will buy Morimoto 20 $ a set to change them .

Back