No gas pedal!

tjsxplodr

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Idaho
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 Ford Explorer XLT
So I was driving down a street when I came to a stop light...proceeded to start going through the stop light when all of a sudden I lost my gas pedal! No throttle at all! Pulled over, tried to start going again, nothing. I didnt have my tools with me because I was moving furniture. Called a friend and he said it could be a relay??
Anyway, nearly 10 minutes went by and I tried to go again and it went...had throttle again.
Wtf happened???!!!

I have never ever had this happen!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Check the linkage, and the fluid level in the transmission. Just out of curiosity, did you hear the engine accelerate when you stepped on the pedal or was it very loose? A low transmission fluid level will make it feel like it's in neutral.

Where is the linkage hooked up at? It happened so suddenly I cant remember if the engine accelerated or not. The pedal felt loose...

I just had had the manual trans fluid checked not even a month ago and they said it was full.

I thought that you had an automatic transmission which is hydraulically controlled. The linkage is connected to the pedal on one side. The opposite side is connected to the side of the throttle body.

No, I have a 5 speed trans in my '91. I will check all the linkage.

The linkage looks fine. Throttle body sensor is intact....

Ok. Should it be easy to move it?

Thanks. Hopefully it was just a fluke thing and won't happen again!

Oh, I checked for that, it wasn't that.

This once happened in a 1989 Mercury Sable that I previously owned many years ago. There was an alarm siren in close proximity to the linkage, and it would occasionally get caught. Make sure that nothing is in the way.

Maybe the neighbors cat was in there for a minute!

Back