• Register Today It's free!

How to get better Gas Mileage?

Reaction score
City, State
San Diego, California
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Acura TSX
Hey guys,

it has been a while since I jumped on this forum. We have been enjoying our Ex Limited so much, however, due to recent move caused by military orders my wife has been driving around 50 miles each way (total 100 miles) and we have had to put gas 3 times a week. Obviously, living in california this is getting very expensive.
We love the Explorer, it is fully loaded, and we have paid a lot of money for it so far, so getting rid of it it's not an option.

How can we make this SUV be more fuel efficient? I searched the forums and it seems like an intake will make it worse? are there any tunes for these SUVS? we have a 3.5 V6 4x4 (should have bought the ecoboost :( )

any help would be appreciated.

PS: does anyone know if we can make the turning signal blink from 3 times to 5 times? I did it on my Volkswagen GTI via tune. Thanks guys. :salute:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Zero to 50 in 15 to 20 seconds helps a lot.

Zero to 50 in 15 to 20 seconds helps a lot.

believe me, my wife drives like a grandmother. we are getting about 19-20 MPG combined, although she drives more highway than anything. I believe it should be higher.

like I said, she is very gentle with the pedal, and uses the adaptive cruise control a lot.

Mostly highway I'd expect low to mid 20's. My wife drives on the slower side as well, but has bad habit of getting to 50 in around 10-12 seconds.

Speed is the biggest enemy. As the speedo moves up the gas gauge moves down.
Unfortunately there is no way to change the 3 blink signal. Many members, myself included, would agree 5 blinks it what it should be set at. 3 is too short.

According to studies backed by the department of energy, the average car will be at its advertised MPG at 55 mph. But as the speed increases:

- 3% less efficient at 60 mph
- 8% less efficient at 65 mph
- 17% less efficient at 70 mph
- 23% less efficient at 75 mph
- 28% less efficient at 80 mph
http://www.mpgforspeed.com/

Peter

Go to the 5th gen Modified forum, there is a brand new post there on a new (reputable) tune and plenty of tune posts and info.

Don't use the adaptive cruise control

What is the speed limit on the highway? Make sure she stays at the speed limit and does not go over it. Make sure the tires are at the proper pressure. Switch to a full synthetic motor oil.

we have a 3.5 V6 4x4 (should have bought the ecoboost :( )

2.0 Ecoboost not available in AWD. More importantly, MPG performance not living up to the rated numbers, in fact can be worse than the 3.5 in some driving conditions. There is a thread on here that talks about this.

You are commuting in a mid-size SUV. That is the only fact that matters. Low 20's is about as good as it's going to get. We've gotten 24.5 in summer, flat road, 65-70 MPH, no traffic on a very few occasions.

If that commute is going to continue for a longer period of time, you might want to consider a used TDI (Golf/Jetta/JSW), which can be had for low-mid teens (2009 and up), or a Hyundai/Kia sedan. Do the math.

The other day from point A to Point B, 110 miles, easy on the gas pedal, no less than 55 and no higher then 65 MPH : MPG 26.9. Round trip: 25.1

BM

19 -20 combined is about right. It's the nature of the beast.

Standard V6 engine 2WD here. Just checked, I drive 18 miles each way to work @ 45-70MPH, I average 17.7 MPG.... Not that great so I feel your pain. I don't know how some are getting 26MPG while driving like a normal every day driver. You can't drive like a grandpa in morning/evening traffic, you will get into a accident.

I've always been one to think MPG figures manufacturers put on cars are way high though too. Commuters that have a regular 8-5 job rarely see close to the claims because we never drive in the same atmosphere as the test MPG vehicles.

Even on my latest 1400 mile trip doing an average of 65-70 I was around 19.8 MPG. Meh.

Standard V6 engine 2WD here. Just checked, I drive 18 miles each way to work @ 45-70MPH, I average 17.7 MPG.... Not that great so I feel your pain. I don't know how some are getting 26MPG while driving like a normal every day driver. You can't drive like a grandpa in morning/evening traffic, you will get into a accident.

I've always been one to think MPG figures manufacturers put on cars are way high though too. Commuters that have a regular 8-5 job rarely see close to the claims because we never drive in the same atmosphere as the test MPG vehicles.

Even on my latest 1400 mile trip doing an average of 65-70 I was around 19.8 MPG. Meh.

I'm trying to figure that out too. I'm getting 13.5 city and 19 or so highway. I also do not drive aggressive and try to keep it below 3000rpm due to the low mileage.

There seems to be a bit of fluctuation between Ex owners and I just wish I knew what the reason would be.

I get 15-17 mixed driving and i drive very light on the gas. I was of the thought that NYC suburbs will all the traffic lights and mainly in stop and go traffic just kills it for me.

Gas

How can i get better mpg from my 2013 explorer;)

Slow down.

Seriously, that's about the extent of it.

How can i get better mpg from my 2013 explorer;)
Welcome to the Forum hillbilly705.:wavey:
There isn't too much you can do except, as stated, drive within the speed limit especially on the highway. Even an extra 10 mph can make a big difference.
It would also be helpful to know which model Explorer you have. Please add the model to your profile so that it shows in the left margin when you post.

Peter

havent we had several topics covering this already?

The government has many studies that show proper tire pressure will solve the worlds' energy problem. So much so that we now pay for TPMS. Thank god.

Now I don't have to check my tire pressure manually anymore. $400 for a set of TPMS senors is a small price to pay for saving the planet.

Oh wait...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

...dont drive 2 days out of the week...:thumbsup::D

Back