• Register Today It's free!

Solved! Door latch fix inside!

JimiJak

Reaction score
City, State
Grand Rapids, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Ford Explorer Sport
Ok, so I removed the door handles on my 2014 xport to de-chrome them...everything went fine, but while I was messing with them on the side of the truck, the latch assembly and spring shifted and came out of it's "home"...not there's no tension on it, and the door handle can't be re-installed until I fix the spring assembly.

has anybody ran into a similar problem? My initial thought was to take the interior panel off to see if there was any additional room to get to the issue to re-seat it...but I can't get that off either (without breaking any clips). I see there are some plastic tabs and such up inside the panel, but I'm really at a loss...any help is GREATLY appreciated...I'm mid project here, and really need the last handle back on.

:thumbsup: THANKS!! :thumbsup:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

OK, so...for anyone else that runs into this issue I thought I would do a little write up.

This was on a '14 Sport
When removing the door handles; After loosening the set screw (T20 Torx) in the end of the door, you have to pull the handle outwardd (like you're opening the door) and then slide it back towards the rear of the vehicle. When doing this you will feel a pop, and the handle will slide backwards about half of the way. Once this happens the latch mechanism on the inside of the door has locked in the 'ready' position, where it stays - waiting for your to reinstall the handle. Once the handle clicks into place like this it is important that you release the handle back in towards the vehicle before you slide it to the rear the rest of the way and remove it.

As far as the vinyl wrapping went, it wasn't bad at all especially with a heat gun. A little bit of heat went a long way to make the vinyl easier to work with.
There is a T15 Torx bit in the end of the handle assembly once it's off. Remove this screw and you can insert a small flat head screwdriver between the chrome handle and the ABS under-handle assembly. Pull back on the mounting tab on the under-handle while you maintain pressure on the screwdriver and it will pop apart...making it wicked easy to wrap the vinyl around the back of the chrome piece so that it tucks in flush behind it once it's snapped back together.

Now onto the problem:
When I was removing my first handle I didn't follow my own instructions from above, and accidentally knocked the internal latch assembly with the spring out of it's track.
In order to fix it (and this is the only way to get everything back together) you have to remove the door panel and repair it from the inside. Mine happened on the driver's side rear door.

Step 1: open the door and remove the two 7mm screws at the bottom of the door.
2: pop the bolt cover off from behind the door grab handle (small plastic, black, cover) and remove the 10mm bolt.
3: pop off the bolt cover from behind the internal door-latch handle, and remove that 10mm bolt.
- with these four screw/bolts out, it's time to remove the panel.
4: The door panel is held to the door by metal V tabs. First locate the plastic shield that runs along the window edge above the panel and pry it straight off. The tabs will release and it pops off.
5: start around the edge of the door and pull the panel towards you, you will feel the door panel tabs start to pop off and the panel will eventually be freed from the door.
6: remove the wiring harness and the latch cable
7: undo the manual door lock from the metal guide
8: unscrew the T25 Torx head bolt from the exterior of the door, releasing the face of the exterior latch assembly
9: remove the three T25 Tor head bolts from around the door latch mechanism
10: with these four bolts removed the internal latch assembly is no longer secured to the door.
11: peel back the plastic window to access the internal compartment within the door
12: there is a metal vertical support beam that helps support the window. This support is removable. (with this support removed, you can bring the entire assembly out of the vehicle to repair it, then reinstall) I chose not to remove the support and just drop the latch assembly down to where I could get hands on it, still within the door.
13: From here you can re-assemble the latch mechanism within the latch assembly. The tricky part is the spring. The spring has two arms, one on either end. The straight arm goes against the metal bracket, and the bent arm goes into a small slot in the plastic. The purpose of this spring is to keep tension on the latch assembly and return it fully to the closed position when not being pulled.
From here the latch assembly slides into a hole towards the exterior end of the door and clicks into a channel on the interior end of the door.
14: With the latch assembly re-assembled, you can put the latch assembly back into place and reinstall the four bolts that hold the latch assembly in place.
15: From here you can reverse the steps from above and re-assemble the door.
16: The final step is re-installing the handles.
17: First insert the interior end of the handle, then the exterior end of the handle. Now slide the trim tab into place.
18: push the handle in like you are closing the door, as you slide the handle towards the vehicle you will feel the latch assembly as the handle tab slides into it. You will have to pull the handle out a bit, but once it clicks into place you can just hold pressure on it until you can drive the torx set screw back in.

Hopefully no one else runs into this issue, and these instructions are useless...it was a pain figuring all of this out. lol

IMG_1235.jpg

HOLY CRAP!!!! That is a ton of effort for a single spring...

Now to figure out if it is worth the hassle/risk to me when I start my wrap this weekend. Can I live with potentially seeing some peak through chrome or should I risk the door spring.

Thanks for the good writeup! I removed mine last summer with no issue, but I know that I have to redo the plastidip again this summer, so it is nice to have backup information.

:thumbsup:

As long as you don't disrupt the springs location by pulling it back too far, you're totally fine...piece of cake job. Just be careful.

Also, if the part of the latch that the handle clicks into happens to go back to it's natural "door closed" position, I had great luck with a piece of dental floss. I just looped it around the latch inside and pulled it towards the outside of the door until I could click the handle back into place.

driver door handle wont stay on...

I removed the driver exterior handle on my 2014 this morning to re-plastidip it..

When I went to put it back in, I knocked a rod inside the door loose...

Panel is off, and that rod is just dangling..

Anyone know how to get it back on?

Wife is not thrilled there's no handle now lol

Why would you remove it in the first place just to plasti dip it?

To get better coverage.. it was peeling from the first time

Well, I made the stupid decision to paint my chrome door handles. Once I took the driver one off, a spring fell into the door panel and the handle won't catch on the latch. I pulled the door panel off, but it is extremely hard to see where the piece is supposed to go, so the door handle can go back on the car. Does anyone have a diagram or tips on how to help with this?

Well, I made the stupid decision to paint my chrome door handles. Once I took the driver one off, a spring fell into the door panel and the handle won't catch on the latch. I pulled the door panel off, but it is extremely hard to see where the piece is supposed to go, so the door handle can go back on the car. Does anyone have a diagram or tips on how to help with this?
Your thread has been moved to this one found using the handy 'Search' feature. Perhaps post #2 will provide some assistance. Good luck.

Peter

Back