Is it worth it? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Is it worth it?

Bug120

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Explorer
I posted recently about my issues. I know that nobody can magically guess but I need opinions. I have an 03 Explorer with 130000 miles. Just got a quote for about $2000 worth of work that needs to be done. Mostly suspension. I talked to two guys at the shop. One of which made it clear he didn't even think it was worth putting the money into. He said this year Explorer is a piece of crap. The other guy was more neutral about it. On an average Explorer are these repairs worth it? I'm afraid of doing it and something else going wrong like trans. The other issue is we were thinking if trading it in and getting a used van within a year or so anyway. If I wanted to keep it for the long haul I'd just do the repairs but considering that I'm not so sure.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I know a guy that does mechanic work on the side for extra money. I don't have a garage and refuse to work on my back in the mud and gravel in 30 degree weather. I also work on a river boat and don't like spending my entire off-time doing chores. He did all the suspension work on mine, except for the alignment. You can save quite a bit on parts using RockAuto, eBay, and looking up discount codes online for the parts stores.

It's still not cheap, but I bet you could do what you need for roughly half of what they quoted. It just depends if you can find someone who will do a good job and charge less than the garage.

You could sell it for $3000 and get another but you'll end up with the same repairs eventually. Keep in mind the cost of repairs vs a monthly car payment. But if you aren't partial to your Explorer like most of us are, then dump it. Just know that all cars have there problems. If you're not up to working on your own vehicles, then I'd look at 2wd only. Less moving components.

Agreed. These are nice vehicles and the payment for something comparable in a new model is high. I spent a little money on mine. About $2500 lately with a level, repairs, and new larger tires. I'm pretty well caught up on repairs now and we have a nice explorer with no car payment. The trick is to know your vehicle. Inspect it regularly and fix things as soon as they come up. They can add up quick if you ignore little problems.

I agree with all of the above. When my customers complain about how much they spent on repairs during a year or how much an upcoming repair is I ask them if they like their car. If they like it and it's not rotted out divide that yearly repair bill by 12 and see what it is compared to a car payment (plus sales tax and excise tax) and 9 times out of 10 it's worth it to fix the car they have. Learn how to do some of the easier stuff yourself or find guys like me that work out of their garage on the side to save some money. Most of all keep up with repairs and maintenance so it's not a big hit all at once.

One thing about it, you know this vehicle, and what is wrong with it. If you go buy another, you're not gonna find the problems until you drive it a while, unless it's a newer under warranty vehicle. Most vehicles I've been around need suspension work at that mileage. It's just a part of maintenance when you get over the 100,000 mile mark. I wouldn't worry so much about the tranny. There are way more explorers out there with way more mileage than yours that are running strong on the original tranny. You only see the negativity here, as people are only on here looking for solutions to their problems. If it were mine, and I had to get the work done, I would have them tackle the worst item first. And then after you absorb the cost, have the next thing done. Lastly you will need an alignment more than likely.

I also agree with the others. Avoid the car payment!!! Since you know the history of this vehicle fix it and enjoy it. Now if you were at 170k miles I might feel differently, but 130k is still good miles. Besides, look at the recent recalls of GM and Toyota vehicles and the stop sell order by VW and it makes you wonder if new cars are really worth it... Just my 2 cents worth.. :)

I posted recently about my issues. I know that nobody can magically guess but I need opinions. I have an 03 Explorer with 130000 miles. Just got a quote for about $2000 worth of work that needs to be done. Mostly suspension. I talked to two guys at the shop. One of which made it clear he didn't even think it was worth putting the money into. He said this year Explorer is a piece of crap. The other guy was more neutral about it. On an average Explorer are these repairs worth it? I'm afraid of doing it and something else going wrong like trans. The other issue is we were thinking if trading it in and getting a used van within a year or so anyway. If I wanted to keep it for the long haul I'd just do the repairs but considering that I'm not so sure.

My 2003 has 138,000 on the clock and it's like new. I did rebuild the suspension but it's no where near $2000. Closer to $750 for parts and I did the work. Thermostat housing, cruise control switch, lower oil pan gasket and that's it. :thumbsup:

I guess it depends on if the vehicle is otherwise good. Re-think the decision to ditch an otherwise good vehicle just because it needs a few repairs. Go price a newer one and you may change your mind. :D

If you're going to dump that 03, I will gladly take it off your hands for cheap.

Back