Water Leak | Page 30 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

I have a 2013 explorer that is also having a 3 rd row water leak. Water running down the seat belts. The dealer has had it for two days and just called me to come and get it. They also said they could not find the leak and they can not fix it ! They saw the water on Monday am and the service writer got wet when I pulled the seat belt down. Water in the cargo well and the metal on the third row power seats is showing rust??

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have a 2013 explorer that is also having a 3 rd row water leak. Water running down the seat belts. The dealer has had it for two days and just called me to come and get it. They also said they could not find the leak and they can not fix it ! They saw the water on Monday am and the service writer got wet when I pulled the seat belt down. Water in the cargo well and the metal on the third row power seats is showing rust??
Contact Crystal as mentioned in the post above yours.

Peter

Thanks. I got a hold of the dealers service manager and G.M. I also got a hold of customer care and got a case number. It is just a pain when you have rattle the box to get a repair done. Love the explorer and the stang. Dealer service has been go up till this.

That seems to be the most common leak. My dealer's independent leak guy who comes in every other week to the dealer fixed it in 25 minutes. He was familiar with it. It's where the back of the roof rail attaches to the body. He removed the rear part of the roof rail just enough to reseal it from the outside and took down the liner a bit and resealed from the inside too.

Some dealers seem on top of this and others seem clueless and waste a lot of time.

Just an update. Called dealer to check on progress. Service desk tells me that they do not know anything about it. Told I have to talk to service manager. Then they hang up !! Called service manager and left message asking him to call me at ### at 1205 hrs and 1410 hrs. No return call. Called from blocked phone ## at 1515 hrs and he answered. He said it is in the body shop and should be done today. I asked if they had checked the seat belts and about the rust on the third row seat bracket. He said that service was done with it !!! He has an attitude like I did something wrong to him for calling the general manager and ford. Will update tonight. Thanks for the link. I have gotten three new fords from this dealer in last three years and I guess they do not need my business.

It's where the back of the roof rail attaches to the body. He removed the rear part of the roof rail just enough to reseal it from the outside and took down the liner a bit and resealed from the inside too.

Simple fix (at least from the outside, not sure about the headliner part) I think I will try this myself, no sense in paying a dealer to get this wrong and waste my time :mad:

He removed the rear part of the roof rail just enough to reseal it from the outside and took down the liner a bit and resealed from the inside too.

What sealant did the leak technician specifically use to seal underneath the rail & under the headliner?

What sealant did the leak technician specifically use to seal underneath the rail & under the headliner?

Sorry, didn't ask. He had a ton of different sealants and caulk guns in his van.

third row...

I bought my ex in 2012 and so far not so good! I will just stay with the topic of water leak.

leaks... it seams to be fashion with the new ex. I almost read all the threads about this topic and it is a night mare. Monday I will call my dealer to see if it is cover by the basic warranty (which finished 2 months ago). If it is not cover by the basic warranty, at first I will find a way to fix that problem by myself. If I can't do it, I won't have choice to pay for.

Is someone tried to fix it? If you were able to do it, could you let me know what you did?

Thanks folks ;)

I bought my ex in 2012 and so far not so good! I will just stay with the topic of water leak.

leaks... it seams to be fashion with the new ex. I almost read all the threads about this topic and it is a night mare. Monday I will call my dealer to see if it is cover by the basic warranty (which finished 2 months ago). If it is not cover by the basic warranty, at first I will find a way to fix that problem by myself. If I can't do it, I won't have choice to pay for.

Is someone tried to fix it? If you were able to do it, could you let me know what you did?

Thanks folks ;)
Welcome to the Forum stefcaron.:wavey:
Greenwood, N.S. now there's a name I haven't heard in a long time.
Unless you know exactly where the leak is, it is difficult to say how a DIY fix was done.
You can try sending a private message to Kwasi (FordServiceCA) to see if there is anything he can do to help out.
Use this link if you decide to do so;
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/private.php?do=newpm&u=233337
When you PM, be sure to include your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, mileage, and servicing dealership in your message.

Peter

2011 Explorer water leak

Hi DelSil,

As Peter recommended, I suggest returning to your dealership so they can perform an inspect. Let us know how you make out; if you need my help following your appointment, PM me with your info and I'll see what I can do to assist. Be sure to include your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, mileage, and servicing dealership.

Crystal

I brought it back to the dealership, Kennedy Ford in Conshohocken, PA on 4/3/2014 and went back on Monday 4/7/2014 only to find that they really did not dry up the the water under the second row carpet just extracted the puddle so I left it there again. They mentioned a third party named The Water Doctor found the seal and drain plug to be clogged in the moonroof so they said they repaired it under warranty. So I had to go back and pick up on Thursday the 10th. Finally the floor and underneath was completely dry but now I found that the hard backing under the carpet was removed since it was soaked. So they ordered me a new carpet and waiting for that. So far no leaks and have run a hose on the moonroof and it has rained since. I saw a previous comment on how Marple Pacifico Ford in Marple/Broomall, PA did a great job fixing it. I only live a few miles from there so that is where I will probably go if there are any further problems. Hopefully it stays like this.

I am going in today for the repair and told them what parts I need new that got wet from the leak:

1) Trunk carpet (the one that is spilt into two pieces)
2) The sound deading material under the spare tire
3) The cover over the spare wheel area

I left a note in the truck, on the drivers seat + gave one to the service advisor that contained cut and paste of all of the fixes other dealers did to fix the issue. I am really **** with these kind of things and cringe at the fact that my rear end panels need to be removed to fix...if the car was 7 years old I wouldnt care...not on a new car...this is what annoys me the most...and I told them I want the panels to fit back like it was new..no exceptions.

Is there any TSBs for the water leak issue ? cant find any via my search

Is there any TSBs for the water leak issue ? cant find any via my search
There is no TSB for the water leak issue.

Peter

I got mine fixed today..will be picking it up around 6..i will leave the tire cover, and spare tire off to see if its actually fixed....they did the same fix as they did on tmg19103Explorer.

Cheers

They had it for a week. It is still leaking and they did not repair the seat belts or third row seating. A friend just called and said that they got a recall notice from ford on roof leak and seat belt repair ??? I must have been to early on my complaints !!! They also own a 2013 limited explorer.

They had it for a week. It is still leaking and they did not repair the seat belts or third row seating. A friend just called and said that they got a recall notice from ford on roof leak and seat belt repair ??? I must have been to early on my complaints !!! They also own a 2013 limited explorer.

If you're lucky they might get one leak repaired using their "approved" black gooey sealant. They will not re-weld the broken seem weld and after time and more flexing their will be more broken welds that will need re-sealed. Could this be due to trying to build a SUV on a Taurus car frame ? We have had so many problems with ours Ford is making offers for before our scheduled court hearing. By the way, Ford is responsible for all Attorney fees in a lemon law suit, check it out

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Why not?

From what I've read here so far, cars are taken into a dealers who individually attempt to find and fix the problem. No TSB from Ford, and no repository available for steps taken with results except what little gets posted here. So far there's been little success which leads one to believe the leak problem is harder to troubleshoot than it may seem at first glance.

So, for a total effort of maybe 30 minutes with a roll of tape and a garden hose, one could possibly find the leak source. Yes, this could be time wasted but maybe not. And if not, just how valuable would the findings be when posted here?

Agreed...i took mine in last week to fix the dreaded roof rail leak (drivers side) leaking down the 3rd row drivers side seat belt..i took cut and paste from all of the fixes in this area directly from this site put it on a one page word doc - gave one to the service advisor that stapled it to the work order, placed one on my dash, another one on the passenger seat, one in the wheel well area for the spare tire and one on top of the 3rd row seat back...yes its overkill and I am ****...

Back