13e04 - pcm configuration error - recall? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

13e04 - pcm configuration error - recall?

omar302

Reaction score
City, State
Doha
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Ford Edge Sport
I found this under Outstanding Field Service Actions in Ford's Etis website: "13E04 - PCM CONFIGURATION ERROR", googling it I came up with the same number for a 2011 Explorer's Carfax report as a Manufacturer Emissions recall issued on 02/14/14.

Anyone with more details? It seems to be related to some 2011 Edge, MKX & Explorers.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

This is what I found about the PCM. My EX has this recall to

13E04

Affected vehicles: 2011 Ford Edge, Ford Explorer and Lincoln MKX vehicles that received a PCM calibration in service.

Situation: In some of the affected vehicles, the “Learn” command may not have been performed when the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) was preprogramed in service. This condition will cause a reset of the OBD-II system on every vehicle power-up cycle, which leads to a “Not Ready” condition and sets a non-MIL P160A DTC. While no drivability symptoms will be present during vehicle operation, the OBD system will not function normally and MIL indication will be inhibited.

This is what I found about the PCM. My EX has this recall to

13E04

Affected vehicles: 2011 Ford Edge, Ford Explorer and Lincoln MKX vehicles that received a PCM calibration in service.

Situation: In some of the affected vehicles, the “Learn” command may not have been performed when the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) was preprogramed in service. This condition will cause a reset of the OBD-II system on every vehicle power-up cycle, which leads to a “Not Ready” condition and sets a non-MIL P160A DTC. While no drivability symptoms will be present during vehicle operation, the OBD system will not function normally and MIL indication will be inhibited.
Did your show up as an outstanding recall when you checked the link in the Sticky?

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=402399

Peter

I have it as well. This could be why I failed emissions the first time because they said the computer reset itself and stuff.

I have a 2011 Ford Edge Limited AWD that experienced this exact same issue but my VIN was not tied to the recall. I bought the car new from the dealer and just received my first Smog check request from the California DMV (Car is now 6 years old). I attempted to get my car smog checked but FAILED because the PCM is not retaining the successful systems checks after completing a drive cycle. Disconnecting the battery and wiping the system did not work to reset the PCM. The only way to do it is to take it in to the dealer.

I brought it to the dealer who confirmed that the PCM needed to be re-flashed but charged me $100 because my VIN was not part of the official recall. I then brought up the fact that my car is still within the 8 year 80,000 mile federally mandated emissions warranty which covers the entire emissions system. It's part of the Clean Air Act Warranty Provisions (42 U.S.C. S 7541 (i) (2) ) https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/42/7541

I pulled out the Ford warranty which shows everything that is covered and also has a section on things that are not covered. The things in the not covered section include basic wear and tear, physical damage, acts of god, but nothing regarding bad software. I was then told by three different people at the dealer (including the on-site manager) that the PCM is covered by the emissions warranty but only if it fails. Since mine did not "fail" but rather only needed a software re-flash, the software re-flash was not covered by the warranty.

It's not the $100, it's the principle. This software flaw has clearly been there since the day the car left the factory and there was absolutely no reason for me to know of the flaw until 6 years after purchase when I am required by law to get my emissions checked in order to register the vehicle.

When I asked the dealer how I could escalate this I was told to call Ford corporate and that I could find the 800 number on the website. I don't have time to play games and get taken around in circles. Additionally I am sure I am not the only one having to go through this and want to make this right for everyone out there. Consider the hornets nest stirred.

Currently have letters out to the following...am I missing anyone?

- Environmental Protection Agency (EPA)
- Bureau of Consumer Protections Office of Consumer & Business Education
- CA State Attorney General
- CA Department of Motor Vehicles
- CA State Consumer Protection Office
- Federal Trade Commission (FTC)
- NADA
- NHTSA
- American Automobile Manufacturers Association
- Better Business Bureau
- Speaking to lawyers about class action possibilities

All in all, this doesn't seem to be a big/common issue judging by the number of posts or lack thereof on the topic. Unless there are a large number of undocumented cases on this, I highly doubt any class action will result.

Peter

@peterk9 I think this is the tip of the iceberg. The reality is that for the last 6 years there has been no reason for people to suspect that anything was wrong with their emissions system because they have not been required to have the vehicle smog checked. Now that they need to do so I believe this issue is going to start seeing a lot more traction.

The kicker of the whole thing is that the Ford dealer agrees that the PCM is covered by the warranty but only if it fails completely at a hardware level. They are claiming that a software re-flash is not covered by warranty. Additionally there has been a national recall issued which solves this problem for some Ford owners (thus decreasing posts on forums) but Ford has failed to include all affected vehicles.

@peterk9 I think this is the tip of the iceberg. The reality is that for the last 6 years there has been no reason for people to suspect that anything was wrong with their emissions system because they have not been required to have the vehicle smog checked. Now that they need to do so I believe this issue is going to start seeing a lot more traction.

The kicker of the whole thing is that the Ford dealer agrees that the PCM is covered by the warranty but only if it fails completely at a hardware level. They are claiming that a software re-flash is not covered by warranty. Additionally there has been a national recall issued which solves this problem for some Ford owners (thus decreasing posts on forums) but Ford has failed to include all affected vehicles.
Point taken. Here in Ontario and several other provinces a test is required every 2 years once the vehicle is 7 years old. However, a test is also required when a used vehicle is sold. I had a 2006 Highlander that a friend wanted to buy after the 4 year lease was up and before he could license it, a "Clean Air" (emissions) test had to be done. So really many vehicles are getting tested before the mandatory 7 years if they are resold before that time.

Peter

I recently had similar issues on my 2011 Explorer - my issue was initially diagnosed as a short in the PCM that caused one of the injectors to stay open - my PCM was replaced under warranty. Then a couple months later, I'm having issues again and I rented a scanner from Autozone and I pulled a P160A code (BTW, I did not have a Check Engine Light (CEL) come on to indicate an issue). When I went to look up the P160A code, it led me to the issue with the 13e04 recall - which my vehicle was not part of...but the fact that the dealership had just recently replaced my PCM and obviously from the 13e04 issue, had not reprogrammed and flashed my replacement PCM, I had them do the entire procedure over & correctly.

Once the correct reprogramming procedure took place, my vehicle was only then able to record a CEL that then indicated what the current issue I was at that time having. Otherwise, that 13e04 issue/P160A code was basically erasing any CEL.

Anyway, I only wanted to post this to tie together another PCM issue in case it helps someone in the future - I hope PCM's don't become an issue of this class of vehicle as they get older. Good luck with your issue...that $100 tells you a lot about that dealer and their practices! you should out them here as well so someone will think twice about going to them. And raise the issue to Ford, write the President of Ford's office.

Here is the thread with more about my PSM issues: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums...ivct-engine-misfire-p0201-p0301-p0316.451787/

Back