Heater Control Valve - 2 port vs 4 port ? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Heater Control Valve - 2 port vs 4 port ?

Carguy3J

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
North East New Jersey
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 4dr. XLT SOHC A4WD
My '93 Ranger, 4.0L-OHV does not have A/C. I am thinking about maybe finding a donor truck, to add it. In the meantime, I was thinking of adding a heater control valve, which apparently was not installed as a stock item until '94. My thinking is that if I stop the flow of hot coolant into the heater core, it will help a little in keeping the cab temps down in the summer. When I try to use the blower to get at least a little circulation, it will blow very hot air, so maybe this will help that a little.

It looks like the HCV's came in either 2 port or 4 port versions. Which do I want, and why?
I am assuming that the 2-port simply blocks flow in the heater core inlet line, in effect "deadheading" it, while the 4 port creates a "loop" when closed, redirecting the inlet flow right back into the outlet line, keeping the coolant flowing like normal.

In both versions, which is the "default" position, with no vacuum connected? Open (coolant allowed into heater core) or closed (blocked flow or bypass)?

Let me know how the adding factory a/c works. I have controls and evaporator housing installed.

Back