electronic fan on 1st gen... the wait is OVER! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

electronic fan on 1st gen... the wait is OVER!

KJL

Reaction score
City, State
TURLOCK, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 4.0 4x4. 00 4.0 2x4
This is just a teaser guys but I just finished installing a 2-speed electronic fan out of a 1995 3.0L Taurus. Minimum trimming and it fits really well.

I drove it around for about 30 minutes in about 75 degree central California weather and the temp needle didnt pass the N (normal) I will sign up for a picture site tonight and do a detailed write up asap!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I only had to trim about a 1/4" off the top and bottom (as it sits in the doner car) and then about 3" off one side.

I only had to trim about a 1/4" off the top and bottom (as it sits in the doner car) and then about 3" off one side.

We need pics :)

Did you trim it to get it closer to the radiator, or did you have to trim it to make is shorter/narrower?

The big question will be how does it handle in the heat. Most that see > 105F temps have a hard time getting a 1st gen cooled with an electric fan..

Anyway, I'm watching for your writeup.. and maybe your trip report to Yuma or Blythe this Summer to let us know how it does tooling around town in those places :)

~Mark

:ttiwwp:

I knew someone was going to put the "worthless without pics" comment lol. But we just got back from a trail ride (horses not trucks) so they will have to wait

I turned the fan 90* and slid it down that way. It covers all but an inch or so on both sides. And trummed to get it closer to the rad and to clear the cam pulley.

Also I do have a three inch body lift ( from previous owner)

There is still room between the rad and the fan. If I had to guess from eyeballing it id say about 1/4 inch so you can still trim the shroud down to clean if needed but like I said the BL keeps the h2o pump stud feom being an issue.

Ill take pictures of it tomorrow but the (now) top of the shroud is open from cutting the excess shroud so I just took some sheet metal and two pieces of 1x4 (as a sheet metal break) and bent it but to cover the top of the shoud. Its not permanent but it works for a week or so til I fab up a new piece. So no laughing about that. Oh and with the sheet metal piece in place the shroud is completely covered with no large gaps.

Oh and as for right now I just have the high speed fan wired to a switch with an 80A relay.. I may leave it like that cause I alway pay close attention to my gauges while driving and I lkke the option of being able to turn it off and on at will.

There was an extra part on the fan. Looks like for added it after the cars left the factory. Pugged directly to the fan motor between the motor and the harness clip. Ran the manufacturer number and guys on all sorts of sites have taken them off. But they did have two stamped items on them one said 20A (low speed) and the other said 40A (high speed) so im sure the 80A relay will be fine.

Electric fans are pretty minimal as far as gains, and nothing beats the reliability of a stock fan.

I wont argue that

I wont argue that

True.. Comparing Apple to apples it isn't much of a power difference. When the electric fan is running it is pulling power from the motor via the alternator while the engine driven fan pulls it right from the motor..

Even an unlocked a mechanical fan clutch doesn't really free wheel. They are still spinning at 20% or more of the shaft speed so they are taking power. If you are using a tight fan clutch (Hayden Severe duty) you could swear that the fan is actually pulling you forward since it is so loud..

When the Fan doesn't need to be running is when you really feel/see the difference. While it isn't a bunch more hp/torque it is more than you get by just installing an intake/exhaust without a tune.. On top of that, if you do lots of freeway driving (not in traffic freeway but actually doing 55mph+) the mileage gain can add up..

~Mark

True.. Comparing Apple to apples it isn't much of a power difference. When the electric fan is running it is pulling power from the motor via the alternator while the engine driven fan pulls it right from the motor..

Even an unlocked a mechanical fan clutch doesn't really free wheel. They are still spinning at 20% or more of the shaft speed so they are taking power. If you are using a tight fan clutch (Hayden Severe duty) you could swear that the fan is actually pulling you forward since it is so loud..

When the Fan doesn't need to be running is when you really feel/see the difference. While it isn't a bunch more hp/torque it is more than you get by just installing an intake/exhaust without a tune.. On top of that, if you do lots of freeway driving (not in traffic freeway but actually doing 55mph+) the mileage gain can add up..

~Mark

I do 90% freeway at 65 so it really helps. The throttle response is good and I did notice at 65mph im sitting at about 2400 rpms and now im at about 2100. I dont know if its related but whatever lol. At the mid 70* I dont turn the fan on unless I am in town and happen to hit two red lights one after another. But other then that it doesnt come on.

Just an update. Sorry but I haven't had a day off yet to pull the fan out to do a "how to" yet. But after two trips to SF airport from turlock ~92 miles including driving the altimont pass each time the fan has served well so far. Ive done a mix of freeway and in town driving and everything looks good.

when I do the how to im going to change a few things. Nothing required or major.

Back