4wd transfer case motor replacement help | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

4wd transfer case motor replacement help

blackout881

Reaction score
City, State
NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
'04 Eddie Bauer 4.0
Hey guys,

Finally have some money to put into the old explorer and I wanted to address the issue I am having with my 4 wheel drive. I have posted on here in the past and I think I narrowed it down to my 4x4 motor having a short inside. It shifts into 4x4 high fine (but may be stuck in 4hi...not sure, sort of suspect to that because of my gas mileage.. just know that it works from the winter we just had) but when I switch to 4lo it blows the 30 amp fuse under the hood.

Just wanted to ask if replacing this motor is as simple as it looks. Looked on rock auto and found a replacement for $102.

Just unbolt, take off, bolt in new motor and clip in the harness? I think I can handle that one if it is indeed that easy. Can anyone verify?

Thanks!

Sorry, I don't have the experience. No one else seems to either or at least aren't piping in. At times, we have to suck it up and tackle the unknown, this appears to be one of those times.

The good news here? Is that you get to be a pioneer. Take pictures, note issues. And return with your success so that others will be able to do this as well.

Good luck! You can do it. I'm sure it's easier than it looks and it looks fairly straight forward.

I just read a great write-up with pics the other day on how to repair one of these. Removal looked easy. I'm not sure it was on this forum or not. Sorry. Try a few Google searches and see what comes up. That's probably how I came across it.

Back