Gaps/Alignment, Paint, Pinholes... Do you have these issues?? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Gaps/Alignment, Paint, Pinholes... Do you have these issues??

bellorr

Reaction score
City, State
Pittsburg
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Explorer Limited
Hi all!! I have a 2014 Explorer delivered in the 2nd week of March here in Ca... And to give everyone some background, I have had an 1990 XLT, 1999 Eddie Bauer explorer and this is the third which is a Limited. Anyhow I would of thunk that quality has gotten better and I would agree that it certainly has but my gripe and issues are the following since some areas are still there after washing the car for the first time (this is the natural time where you see everything as you wash and dry):

1) My front hood on a corner has a scab about 3MM in diameter that was painted over rather than sanding out before continuing..
2) Front passenger door edge same thing but its about 1 inch long between the front and rear door.
3)The rear trunk above the brake light assembly there is some type of caulking material that was painted and it popped (like a pimple) and now it looks like it peeling.
4) On the trunk opening on top from the driver side there is some "bondo" type material to seal off the edges.. There is a 2MM hole where water could seep and create rust
5) Inside the car the driver side panel is about 1/4 inch lower than the dashboard
6) Gaps/alignment... WOW, I cannot count them in two hands but the doors are not aligned from one another, one would be higher than the other or vices versa. The trunk transition from the body to the trunk door on one side is lower and vice versa on the otherside
7) On the driver side front pillar by the windshield where the painted body transition to the black pillar.. well when you wipe it down, it protrudes so it catches as it is not aligned.
8) Paint, I filed a complaint back in 2000 asking why is the exterior paint not identical to the bottom of the car, the door sills, the trunk opening, the engine bay, gas filler opening. The colors are the same shade but not 100% the same paint, i.e. external paint is white platinum which has the metallic but when you look at the sills they are platinum white minus the metallic or they show as barely painted or are of the shade of the primer? Why is this so?

I love cars and I have an international garage (European, Japan-Yes the ones that are really made there not from the East Coast and USA)and I do like Ford but really, is this the new definition of QUALITY? I paid $42K and see these issues and now I feel like an IDIOT for purchasing and did not get what I paid for..

Having said this I have an appointment with the dealer on Monday and hoping that they can be fixed.... But folks should we really have to go through this and redifine QUALITY or is it just me??

Thoughts and or advise anyone can provide?

Thank you.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have some off those issues - although not as bad - and you're not alone with a lot of other folks calling out the shoddy build quality of the Explorer. My 2013 was my first new car - was a big believer in buying used but I had a great deal on my 2013 and figured it was the right time to buy new but after a few warranty issues and serious fit and finish issues I ended up regretting my purchase. After 4500kms I had to replace both window motors - due to window chatter issues - the dealer did a shoddy job with putting the door panels on that I do had to go in over 3 times to fix. After the door panel removal it wasn't new to me and I lost any joy I had with my new car experience. It's funny cause i bleed ford blue - this is my 7th ford - and I am as loyal as they come - but I wouldn't buy another one not the crap build quality I have seen with my 2013. The ford edge isn't as shoddy as the build quality I have seen with the explorer.

You forgot to mention the window trim around the windows ? I am sure yours are shoddy as we'll.

Thx for the feedback as I just wanted some confirmation that I am not that critical.. And yes on the weather stripping.

Our 09 Edge had the White Platinum paint, I noticed the same issue. The glossy finish was only on the outside surfaces.

Haven't had a chance to really go over our new Explorer yet. My wife has mentioned a few things, she normally doesn't notice things like I do, so they must be noticeable. I'll give it a good look today.

Seems automakers are too caught up in Hi Tech one up man ship to put the focus on real build quality.

Thx for the feedback as I just wanted some confirmation that I am not that critical.. And yes on the weather stripping.

You are not critical - just have a good eye at things that should have beencaught during the QA process - I even had a small ding near the rear tail corner above the brake light...its more a pinch that was outwards - and it did not happen at the dealership nor during transport - it should have been caught during QA. I am just as critical and let that slide- but then it was another thing....and another and another....then finally I had that infamous water leak and that was the last draw for me . Getting the water leak fixed this wens .

You might have an eye for seeing these things, but the question I have. Why did you not thoroughly inspect the vehicle before accepting it???

Yeah, I have some fit and finish issues that are similar, but not as bad. Noticed a few before I bought and decided I could live with it and picked up on a few others later. I bought used and got a great deal, so I can live with it. I look at it that I notice, but I doubt anyone else who sees my Ex will.

One that bugs me - that I am sure nobody who looks at my Ex really notices - is that the spoiler is a distinctly different if you look closely, but not noticeably different at a glance in shade of White Platinum. My guess is painted with a separate batch of paint than the body and added on. While Platinum or the generic "pearl" is one of the toughest paints to match, but still, I expect the spoiler to match the body.

My weather stripping/window trim is not bad. Not perfect, but not real noticeable. Certainly not to someone else looking at my car and not any where near the pics I have seen posted here. Got lucky on that one.

I have the passenger inside door panel being about 1/4 lower than the dash. Interesting I did not pick up on that when purchasing. The thread on here got me to look for it so I doubt passengers notice. Also, the gap on the outside of the front passenger door where it meets the front quarter panel is noticeable indented for the door with the quarter panel portion obtruding about 1/8 inch on the outside - not flush. I picked up on this when purchasing and decided I could live with it. The driver's side is flush so this a fit and finish issue.

My 2011 Ex is not nearly the quality fit and finish of past cars I have had (mostly German and a current Saab) or my current 2009 Escape, but I bought used with a great deal and I really like the Ex otherwise. Like I posted, my friends don't notice these things and really like the Ex so I can live with it. The Ex performs my utilitarian functions with all wheel for beach driving, cargo capacity and for when I need to haul a lot of other people around - which is not often, but I know I always can. To me the Ex overall looks far better in and out than its competitors. It does not have the wussy crossover look and I think the interior design is high quality - as long as we look past the fit an finish issues. The interior does remind me of pretty high quality German design/style, but Ford has not caught up on their fit and finish.

I assume one reason the paint is different in some areas is to cut down on the cost. According to my window sticker, the Crystal Champagne colour was an extra $800. I have no problems with areas such as sills and inside door panels being the same basic colour but without the metallic or similar finishes. I'm quite sure that the vast majority of owners aren't even aware of this.
As for gap and alignment problems, I believe you will find that Ford is not the only manufacturer that has these issues.

BTW, welcome to the Forum bellorr.:wavey:

Also, if you are not happy after speaking with your dealer, I suggest that you send a private message to Crystal (FordService), the Ford rep who monitors the forum and she what she can do to get this resolved. You can use the following link;
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/private.php?do=newpm&u=157968
When you PM, be sure to include your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, mileage, and servicing dealership in your message.

Peter

I have some off those issues - although not as bad - and you're not alone with a lot of other folks calling out the shoddy build quality of the Explorer. My 2013 was my first new car - was a big believer in buying used but I had a great deal on my 2013 and figured it was the right time to buy new but after a few warranty issues and serious fit and finish issues I ended up regretting my purchase. After 4500kms I had to replace both window motors - due to window chatter issues - the dealer did a shoddy job with putting the door panels on that I do had to go in over 3 times to fix. After the door panel removal it wasn't new to me and I lost any joy I had with my new car experience. It's funny cause i bleed ford blue - this is my 7th ford - and I am as loyal as they come - but I wouldn't buy another one not the crap build quality I have seen with my 2013. The ford edge isn't as shoddy as the build quality I have seen with the explorer.

When new our 2013 XLT had many of these same quality control issues....Few issues have been resolved....Ford really does not care once they have your money, and they have plenty of customers, at least right now. I'll not buy another.......Plum

When new our 2013 XLT had many of these same quality control issues....Few issues have been resolved....Ford really does not care once they have your money, and they have plenty of customers, at least right now. I'll not buy another.......Plum
We all know how you feel about Ford due to the issues you've had with your Explorer. That being said, I don't agree with your statement that "Ford really does not care once they have your money..." Ford like most manufacturers rely on repeat sales in addition to new sales. The fact that they have Reps that monitor these forums also is an indication that they DO care and want to help get issues resolved. Not many manufacturers/forums go to that length to help customers. The Toyota site I was a member of didn't. Unfortunately not all issues are always resolved to the customer's satisfaction or in some cases may not be able to be resolved. I have had outstanding service from my dealer and my 2011 Limited was an excellent vehicle.:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Peter

We all know how you feel about Ford due to the issues you've had with your Explorer. That being said, I don't agree with your statement that "Ford really does not care once they have your money..." Ford like most manufacturers rely on repeat sales in addition to new sales. The fact that they have Reps that monitor these forums also is an indication that they DO care and want to help get issues resolved. Not many manufacturers/forums go to that length to help customers. The Toyota site I was a member of didn't. Unfortunately not all issues are always resolved to the customer's satisfaction or in some cases may not be able to be resolved. I have had outstanding service from my dealer and my 2011 Limited was an excellent vehicle.:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Peter

While I have mentioned the warts on my Ex, note I am not complaining bigtime as I bought used, new what I was getting and got a great price. Overall I am happy. Biggest gripe for me is gas mileage compared to hwat is advertised, but fortunately my primary gets pretty good MPG.

That being said, my Ex does have fit and finish issues I have not noticed on past cars I have owned that were BMW, Audi and Saab.

Quite honestly, I feel the German manufacturers are better than the U.S. ones on fit and finish - and that includes the Big 3 in the U.S., not just Ford. You also pay more for the Euro cars and they cost more to maintain. Japanese tend to be reliable, but they are pretty expensive to buy nowadays - even used due to that reliability factor that I don't think Ford is much worse than in general (a forum like this will get those who got lemons posting).

That being said I like my Ex overall, I am not concerned about the engine and drivetrain that can really cost you, so I am happy with my purchase.

And, the one service visit I needed under warranty, Pacifico Marple Ford outside Philly fixed the third row seat belt leak in less than 30 minutes so that was a positive experience. They seemed to care and knew what they were doing, but when I am off warranty it is off to an independent. No dealer service shop by any car manufacturer will get my business for anything off warranty or for things like oil changes during warranty unless included under warranty. Saab dealer charges $90 for a full synthetic oil change with filter. I get it done for less than half by my local shop where they let me bring my own oil and filter I buy when on sale.

just curious - do you know what your dealer did to fix the leak? I have the same issue and I am taking it in this wens as I am sure my leak is in the same spot. 3rd row seatbelt. Thanks in advance .

While I have mentioned the warts on my Ex, note I am not complaining bigtime as I bought used, new what I was getting and got a great price. Overall I am happy. Biggest gripe for me is gas mileage compared to hwat is advertised, but fortunately my primary gets pretty good MPG.

That being said, my Ex does have fit and finish issues I have not noticed on past cars I have owned that were BMW, Audi and Saab.

Quite honestly, I feel the German manufacturers are better than the U.S. ones on fit and finish - and that includes the Big 3 in the U.S., not just Ford. You also pay more for the Euro cars and they cost more to maintain. Japanese tend to be reliable, but they are pretty expensive to buy nowadays - even used due to that reliability factor that I don't think Ford is much worse than in general (a forum like this will get those who got lemons posting).

That being said I like my Ex overall, I am not concerned about the engine and drivetrain that can really cost you, so I am happy with my purchase.

And, the one service visit I needed under warranty, Pacifico Marple Ford outside Philly fixed the third row seat belt leak in less than 30 minutes so that was a positive experience. They seemed to care and knew what they were doing, but when I am off warranty it is off to an independent. No dealer service shop by any car manufacturer will get my business for anything off warranty or for things like oil changes during warranty unless included under warranty. Saab dealer charges $90 for a full synthetic oil change with filter. I get it done for less than half by my local shop where they let me bring my own oil and filter I buy when on sale.

Peter

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

just curious - do you know what your dealer did to fix the leak? I have the same issue and I am taking it in this wens as I am sure my leak is in the same spot. 3rd row seatbelt. Thanks in advance .

For my particular third row seatbelt leak, it was coming from where the back of of the roof rail attaches to the roof. The dealer's independent leak guy was familiar with it and pulled up the back rear roof rack and re-sealed it where it attaches to the roof and then pulled down the back of the roof liner and put sealant up there from the inside too. Took less than 30 minutes, but he had done it before. Said he could see where the original sealant for the roof rack had deteriorated so that was the fix. Can't guarantee all third row sealtbelt leaks come from there, but its a good bet.

Thank you much appreciated I'll let my dealer know to check this area - while looking for other areas around it. Thanks again

For my particular third row seatbelt leak, it was coming from where the back of of the roof rail attaches to the roof. The dealer's independent leak guy was familiar with it and pulled up the back rear roof rack and re-sealed it where it attaches to the roof and then pulled down the back of the roof liner and put sealant up there from the inside too. Took less than 30 minutes, but he had done it before. Said he could see where the original sealant for the roof rack had deteriorated so that was the fix. Can't guarantee all third row sealtbelt leaks come from there, but its a good bet.

Thank you all again for the feedback!!

Ryan, as for your question, I considered these items as the basic stuff and and should be a slam dunk for a $40K Automobile! But I have to admit that if I do buy another Ford, I will have NEED to do a much thorough evaluation.

Hey folks,

If you're having any concern with your vehicle, your next stop should be the dealership so they can inspect. As Peter mentioned, I'm always happy to do what I can to help as well; send me a PM with your info (full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, mileage, and servicing dealership) so I can research options.

Crystal

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hey everyone has anyone see this:

259F7808-7431-4082-A18F-0469EB804DD2_1.jpg

This is on the outside edge of the door. Looks like some run off got
Painted over.

Back