AWD vs AUTO 4x4

fireball 440

Reaction score
City, State
minnesota
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 Police Interceptor
Explain the difference.

My 2005 has Auto 4x4 and I can't stand the way it's constantly clunking into 4x4. I'm just waiting for something to break. Is there a way to disable this and have the 2wd option?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My understanding is that AWD is just that All-Wheel-Drive and all the time. Where Auto 4x4 is 4x4 "when you need it" I hate it too but i know of no way to disable it.

How does each system work? Under my Explorer today changing oil I did not see a front axle disconnect motor, so how does it work? And why does it clunk?

Since everything is electronic, is there a way to disable and only have rear wheel drive?

I really dont know how the system works exactly, I am an industrial mechanic not an auto mechanic, But if you really really want to disable it search for the Brown Wire Mod. Essentially you just have to put a switch in the brown wire that connects the system to the transfer case and you can disable the 4x4. But from my understanding there are no real benifits to doing this. Its more if you have a preference between the two or if the truck switching to 4x4 every so often annoys you. It has not been proven to improve MPG because you are still moving the same amout of weight no matter which mode you are in. If anything it will only give you 1 or 2 MPG better. Also note if you have an AWD system and not a ControlTrac(Auto 4x4) you cannot do this mod.

brown wire mod - sounds what I am looking for! Thank You! I am not concerned about MPGs that is not my concern. I just want selectable 2wd and 4wd, none of this automatic clunking in and out crap, something is going to break. Thanks!

On an AWD, there's no noticeable change from 2 to 4 wheel drive. The transfer case in them have like a viscous clutch pack to transfer power instead of a 4x4 transfer case with a motor to engage and disengage like the Auto 4x4's.

I did a bunch of the Areostar AWD transfer case recalls in the late 90's, are the AWD Explorer's like those ones? Kind of like 2 moving grooved plates with a steel ball between them?

brown wire mod - sounds what I am looking for! Thank You! I am not concerned about MPGs that is not my concern. I just want selectable 2wd and 4wd, none of this automatic clunking in and out crap, something is going to break. Thanks!

There is a lengthy thread in here somewhere about BWM. My recollection is it doesn't work on Explorers after 2003. I could be wrong though, so find that thread and read through it carefully before you do it.

BTW, the problem could easily be mismatched tires...

I read the threads and it should work. Mis-matched tires lol come on now, I'm an ex-certified mechanic lol. Actually, still certified but retired from the field 13 years ago.

This is the mod that will make me keep this truck, otherwise I was planning to re-list it on craigslist. Now I can move on to the $50 lift kit, spacers, and put some real tires on it. I'm excited to keep it now!

Fireball check the bushings on the front transfer diff. Mine was doing the same a while ago amd i replaced the bushing which had alot of play. 5 years later and it is doing the same thing again. I am just going to remove the front cv joints. One is completely smapped being only 1 year old. Im changing it to 2 wheel drive and bolting up the front diff one more time.

Fireball check the bushings on the front transfer diff. Mine was doing the same a while ago amd i replaced the bushing which had alot of play. 5 years later and it is doing the same thing again. I am just going to remove the front cv joints. One is completely smapped being only 1 year old. Im changing it to 2 wheel drive and bolting up the front diff one more time.

You have it figured out. The BWM interrupts the signal going to the transfer case internal "clutch", disabling it.

The A4WD clunking is most likely from the parts merging back to the same speed, looseness in the parts(joints/gears/bushings etc) causes the bad feeling/sound. My 99 V6 Explorer did that rarely, mainly in high stress on the gas, sharp corners.

I read the threads and it should work. Mis-matched tires lol come on now, I'm an ex-certified mechanic lol. Actually, still certified but retired from the field 13 years ago.

This is the way I understand it from reading the owner's manual and researching on this forum:

The auto 4x4 reads the ABS sensors and when it detects a difference between front and rear wheel speed it kicks in the 4x4. If you have mismatched tires it will read that as wheel spin and kick in the transfer case. Lot's of guys have experienced this when putting their spare tire on because it's usually unused and is a different diameter than the other tires.

If you don't have time to do the BWM you can pull the fuses under the hood (I think it's #'s 17 and 18?) and disable the 4x4 that way.

Good luck and keep us posted.

hey thanks. I got a handle on how the system works now. and no I never, ever, ever ,ever run mismatched tires.... ever. lol.

front transfer diff --- what is that? you mean front diff mounts or transfer case mounts?

Back