1st Gen 4wd to 95-97 Ranger Brake Swap Info/Parts List | Page 6 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1st Gen 4wd to 95-97 Ranger Brake Swap Info/Parts List

You're right - I expected to see different part numbers also. But they show the same part number.

What I think this means is the rear disk calipers are designed to utilize the fluid flow/pressure coming from the stock MC. Not hard to do, and this way Ford can one less part number.

Hmm that is odd.ill have to look into that.maybe they changed the rangers rear drum cylinder in 95.wonder if a ranger 8.8 drum is the same as an explorer 8.8 cylinder

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hmm that is odd.ill have to look into that.maybe they changed the rangers rear drum cylinder in 95.wonder if a ranger 8.8 drum is the same as an explorer 8.8 cylinder

I suppose they could have designed the M/C for the drums, and used a pressure reducer somewhere, for the rear disc Explorer? But, that doesn't address the need for more volume.

Or, perhaps its another example of the "aftermarket" screwing things up, either in the catalog, or by actually "consolidating" two different part#'s that really shouldn't be?

Just to sort of update people on the current going price on the knuckles:

I originally found them for $75/pr at one yard. Several weeks later, still no knuckles. They didn't actually have them; never did.

I ended up getting them for $100/pr form another yard. This got me everything from the ball joints out. They cut the beams just inboard of the ball joints.
I had hoped to salvage the calipers, but they are pretty rusty, and I already snapped off one bleeder screw, so I'll probably just buy new/remans.
They left both manual locking hubs on, but one appears to be toast, so I scored 1 spare, plus the 2 sets of "conversion" hardware, as well as the 2 spindles.
The knuckles themselves were decent. Rusty, but not scaly or flakey. Not bad. They'll clean up nice.
The one bummer is that both dust shields are trashed. The donor truck sat on the ground, with no wheels, for a while, so the bottom half of the shields were bent and rotted. Debating whether or not to try to save them with some fiberglass or something. I may just run without them. I haven't had them on my truck up to now anyway, as they were long gone by the time I got it.

So, all-in-all, for $100, I think I got a pretty good bunch of parts, including what I need now, along with a nice little pile of spare parts. I've known this yard for about 20 years, so your mileage may vary, as far as pricing.

I just recently did this swap. It definitely seems to stop better, though the pedal feels a little "soft". Not spongy, just soft. I assume that is likely do to the older, smaller bore M.C. I will also be swapping in the later M.C shortly, at the same time I also do the SN95 Mustang rear disc swap.

Also, just an FYI, I was able to re-bend / re-use my '93 brake hoses, but its marginal, as far as length/slack goes. It would work in a pinch, but the correct '97 hoses are recommended, and I will be installing them when I do the other swap.
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=404863&page=2

I've found that going with braided steel lines works best, even for unlifted vehicles, keeps the brake lines nice and long.

Glad you got it to work! :thumbsup:

Hi! Can I swap 95-97 Ranger brake into my '91 Explorer? I know there is the difference between model '91-92 with RWABS and '93-94 with 4WABS, but I can't to find any information....

Hi! Can I swap 95-97 Ranger brake into my '91 Explorer? I know there is the difference between model '91-92 with RWABS and '93-94 with 4WABS, but I can't to find any information....

It will work just fine........I have disconnected the wheel speed sensors on mine. So it is essentially the same thing as a 91-92

In the first post it covers this.....:banghead::banghead::shifty_ey:shifty_ey

Waking Lazarus, has anyone found the splash shields online? I have every part but those. I've been looking on car-part.com and most yards are not willing to part with them without the selling the whole knuckle. 4x4 95-97 rangers are hard to find around here. I wonder if there is a similar backing plate from a 2wd?

Back