Mystery pin found in 5R55E pan. (Calling trans gurus!) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Mystery pin found in 5R55E pan. (Calling trans gurus!)

MorbidlyAngelic

Reaction score
City, State
Jacksonville, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 Rngr XLT, 02 Expl XLT
I took out the trans in my husbands' 1999 XLT to fix a leaking rear main, since I already had it drained, due to a blown valve body gasket (popped at reverse servo).

Upon reinstallation, we found the torque converter wasn't fully seated, and had to back the bellhousing off, to even turn the crank. Removed entire assembly, fully dropped torque converter, and reinstalled. Crank turns easily.

No line pressure at all. Installed new pump. Before reinstallation, dropped trans pan again to install add-on drain plug, just in case.

That's when I see this guy smiling at me from the bottom of the pan.

41ccf08405c1d309cc72a0624524cffa.jpg

83c7319e0e92d342906b098dea5d8726.jpg

I have been scouring not only Ford's OEM service publications, but also all the exploded views on WIT's site. I cannot find anything that looks remotely like this piece.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I believe it sits vertically, just on the inside of the transmission pan gasket.

I believe it goes right where the PRNDL input shaft goes into the transmission.

I think it seats into a groove in this shaft to keep the PRNDL shaft from popping out.

That right, its from the manual linkage, it connects the linkage to the valve.

Manual Valve.JPG

JK080, if I am ever in N. GA, I'm going to give you a huge hug! I was hoping it was something shallow inside. Now, to find a manual ctrl......

I was beginning to believe this truck was stealing my mojo.

I took out the trans in my husbands' 1999 XLT . . .

I think I love you!!! ;)

I can't get my wife of almost 37 years to keep up with the dishes even though I bought her a new $800 dishwasher last year (the old one wasn't broken, I thought she'd like a new toy). No kids, no job, no responsibilities outside of the home.

Good Luck,
Dan

Back