Air Conditioning Question | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Air Conditioning Question

jimbo231

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Ford Explorer Sport
The other day I turned on my air conditioning and then after about 10 minutes realized I left the heat control to the hottest setting. It still was really cold. I always though it needed to be on cold to use the air. Do the blend doors have any effect on air conditioning? If so, why did my air blow cold?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Could be a blend door issue or a clogged heater core. Some other things as well.

Step one for me would be get the engine good and hot with the heat on max. Touch both heater core hoses to see how hot they are. They should be very similar. If not, core may be clogged or tstat is stuck open. How's the temp gauge? Coolant level? Check rad and overflow tank.

After that, read this: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=183742

No the heat works fine...just wondered if the blend doors have any effect on air conditioning? Was surprised my air blew ice cold with the temp control on hottest setting.

did you have it on A/C MAX?

There's you answer. Max A/C bypasses the heater core and blend door. It recirculates inside air through the evaporator, the temp dial has no effect on air temp in this mode.

Ahhh thanks.....will the air still work on reg a/c with the temp dial all the way to hot and just not be as cold or does it need to be on the cold side for the reg air to work?

A/c will work on normal, the temp dial will allow you to select the air temperature.

AC repair

You need to regularly maintain your AC unit in order for it to function properly. You must check and clean your filters every month. Replace your filters if needed. Get your AC Repair and maintenance service performed one month before the cooling season begins. Also, keep your system's condensing unit free of debris.

Back