• Register Today It's free!

4wd Pop Going Straight

Neil1750825

Reaction score
City, State
Brookings, SD
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Explorer XLT SOHC
Hey guys. Did a quick search but didn't find any results that were just like my problem. The other day I had my explorer screwing around on some gravel roads and took off hard in 4wd going straight. The front end popped pretty hard a few times. Today again it did it and I'm not sure what could be. Both times the wheels were straight so I'm wondering if it might still be CV joints. Let me know if you have any guesses. Couldn't find anything in a quick search.

Neil

1997 SOHC 4x4

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Do you have good tires and transfer case fluid?

Ya. Tires are 75% or so and transfer case doesn't leak so I assume it would be full. You can tell its coming from the left front somewhere. I can feel it in my left foot near the dead pedal. Not sure anything else from that. Only happens when I give a lot of power to the front wheels and they can't break traction.

I should mention the tires are slightly oversized in the interest of full disclosure.

I really can't think of anything else that would make that sound. Isn't the hubs, just replaced those, not ball joints, they're all good. Not a loose wheel. So it has to be somewhere in the drivers side of the frond end or in the CV shaft. I've put almost 100K miles on the Explorer myself and have never changed them myself. Who knows before me but it has 202K miles on it now.

Back