2014 Ford Exploer Limited HID from Diode Dynamics | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2014 Ford Exploer Limited HID from Diode Dynamics

kennybahr

Reaction score
City, State
Kirkwood, MO
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Ford Explorer Limite
All right guys, here are a few pictures of the Explorer! I installed 4300k HID kit from Diode Dynamics...I believe they are they BEST in the business, they are extremely accommodating, very knowledgeable, and just all around GREAT!!!! I went back out there today, because I bent the bar on one of the bulbs, they replaced it with NO hesitations whatsoever, they even re-installed the new bulb. I would Highly recommend buying any HID or LED lights from these guys!!! Here is a link to their website...at least check it out if you're in the market www.diodedynamics.com also check out my website too www.kfbphotography.com
6E1C10631.jpg

6E1C10591.jpg

6E1C10531.jpg

6E1C10511.jpg

6E1C10481.jpg

6E1C10321.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Looks very OEM, I like it.

How was the install?

All Plug and Play?........CANBUS kit included?

Looks very OEM, I like it.

How was the install?

All Plug and Play?........CANBUS kit included?
I was going for the OEM look, you'd NEVER know the dfference!!! Install was easy, and I upgraded to the Canbus, didn't need to, but I thought I might as well!!!! Definitely recommend Diode Dynamics though!!

Didn't your Ex LTD come with HIDs or were you looking for a different look?

any problems with using the auto on feature for the headlights? how is the visibility at night compared to the stockers?

I just bought these, should have them installed this week.

Will report back

Well here is a question. What camera did you use to take such amazing vivid pics?

Looks pretty good! Are the LEDs bright enough or brighter than regular Halogens? I'd love to replace all the lights in my car with LEDs.
Also, what is this CANBUS thing everyone is talking about? Do I have to get a CANBUS ballast for the Explorer?

Here is a good explanation of CANBUS HID Kits.

To truly understand the functions of a CAN BUS ballast for use in HID lighting, you must first understand the role of the CAN BUS network in an automotive electrical system and how it operates. CAN stands for “Controller Area Network” and BUS meaning pathway or data transfer channel, is a communication standard created by Bosch for automotive, industrial, and medical devices. CAN BUS networks are utilized where devices can all use the same pathway/channel to speak to one central CAN BUS controller. CAN is one of the five supported standards of vehicle diagnostics in today’s OBD-II (On Board Diagnostics) system, which also is the system responsible for displaying the dreaded “Service Engine Soon” light on your dash.

In today’s vehicles, there are several Electronic Control Units used to control and monitor the many subsystems. Your headlights, if monitored or controlled by a CAN BUS device, engine, A/C system, airbags, door locks, and Tire Pressure Monitoring System are all either independently operated with an ECU, or work together through a CAN BUS system. When a vehicle comes with a CAN BUS lighting system, what it does is monitor that a particular bulb is working. This can cause a problem when replacing a traditional light bulb with an LED or an HID system because they will not “read” the same to the CAN BUS controller and it will assume the light bulb is burnt out – this will either result in an error message being displayed to the driver, a flashing problem or no power being delivered at all.

Why do my HID headlights flash?

One of the ways that a CAN BUS system can affect the operation of an aftermarket HID conversion kit is this: First, the CAN BUS system will detect that whatever is plugged into the original wiring is probably a bad light bulb, it will start pulsating the electricity again and again in order to try to get the light bulb to start up. If it was indeed a broken factory light bulb, this would have no consequence because the electricity wouldn’t go anywhere, due to the broken filament. With an HID system, this rapid-fire electricity will cause the ballast to turn on and off like a strobe.

The way to solve this problem is to either install a CAN BUS HID Ballast or a warning canceller module. Both of these products will trick the computer in the car into thinking that a good working light bulb is plugged in, and not send pulsating electricity down the line!

I'm just as confused.. what am I missing? Limiteds come with HID so why replace HID bulbs with HID bulbs, especially with the same factory color?

I'm just as confused.. what am I missing? Limiteds come with HID so why replace HID bulbs with HID bulbs, especially with the same factory color?

Not all Limiteds comes with HID from factory as it is part of the optional 302A package.

I just installed these tonight, took about 90 minutes to figure out the CANBUS ballasts, then relay, then DRL cancellers.

Looks great, but for the guys who installed these or other HIDS where did you guys mount your ballasts?......kinda tight on real estate in there.

I had mine installed today. Holy Cow! What an improvement. This is what the OEM headlights SHOULD have been from the factory, instead of the pathetic excuses for flashlights that came with the Ex.

I chose the 6000K headlight and fog light sets. The light is a tiny bit blue (almost pure white), and looks like the majority of HID setups on the road. Definitely doesn't look like an aftermarket installation. The headlight brightness and intensity are great, and the pattern and fill are good.

I'm not as thrilled with the fog lights... they don't seem to contribute as much light on the road as the stock bulbs did, and maybe that can be fixed with an adjustment. I'm still glad I added the fog light kit, so the color of the lights will match.

I'd buy these again in a heartbeat (if I were dumb enough to buy a car with inadequate headlights).

FWIW, they do seem to take a while to warm up to maximum brightness, much longer than my other cars. And yes, they are wired to the battery.

3 Week update

These lights continue to amaze me. They put out a tremendous amount of light in exactly the right places, and as an additional benefit, they really light up the (not so) reflective lane paint. I can't say enough good about them!

If there is any downside, it is that they take a few seconds to come up to full brightness, so (if they're off during the day) using them to flash somebody in to merge is pretty much out of the question. I can live with that. This is by far the best upgrade I've ever put on a vehicle! :D

I concur, these have been an excellent addition to the Sport.

Mine take a few seconds to fire up to full brightness as well, but I have mine turning on as DRL's still.

Might switch over to Amber DRL's soon.

Diode Dynamics Customer Service is excellent to.

Sarge, for the money were they really that much of an improvement over the halogens? I'm running Silverstars, which were a decent improvement over the crappy stock bulbs.

Sarge, for the money were they really that much of an improvement over the halogens? I'm running Silverstars, which were a decent improvement over the crappy stock bulbs.

It doesnt seem anyone posting recently about their kits and experiences had opted for trying better halogens first, then HID kits after.
There are not many mentions and there are not many posts regarding what to do with the poor OEM halogens short of modding to HID.

I got the 2nd level SilverStar halogens as well, as a trial and thanks to the bulb life chart, I picked the middle of the road brightness and life, and they are way better than the OEM halogens (which in my Ex were also Sylvania).

The stock halogen bulbs are pure sh*t. A few times during bad night conditions/storms, I actually jumped in my seat thinking my lights were not on, but of course, they were...

For the price and life overall these are great, and if they need to be replaced yearly, less than $40 a pair.

To be fair I can't compare to the SilverStars because I have never seen them on an Ex. All I can say is these HID's are night and day compared to OEM Halogens.

I just figured $179 to get a complete plug & play kit that looks OEM was too cheap to pass up.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

From a post I read by Diode Dynamics in the ToyotaNation Forum, they are getting out of the HID conversion business. Their new 2014 Summer catalog no longer carries them.
Another statement in the post by Diode Dynamics that I found interesting; "Keep in mind your retrofit is no more legal than an HID conversion, as pretty as it may be."

Peter

Back