• Register Today It's free!

SO PROUD... BUT....Stuck in 4LOW

Erek_97Sport

Reaction score
City, State
traverse city, Michigan
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Ford Explorer Sport
alright so yesterday i was stuck in 4low for like 5 hours. Kinda scared to put it back in four low.

my friend was hualing pallets in his 2003 f250 diesel with a six in lift and drove through a field with his truck and suck it down into the grass and just dug and dug. by the time he called me he was half way up his axles. my little baby pulled him 90% of the way out. my front wheels were 2 feet from gravel when i started to sink. i ended up undoing the tow rope because i was just digging myself in. well his dad showed up with his brand new rapter and a longer rope and pulled him rate out (didnt even let the Rapter touch the mud what a shame).

alright but once i got up onto the gravel i put it into nuetral tried shift to 2wd and it did nothing so i put it into reverse and as soon as i backed up an inch there was a loud grinding noise. waited till the next morning (yesterday and tried it again) and the same thing happen. drove to work in 4low (rate down the road wasnt worried about it) but eventually i tried showing my dad what happen ( the grinding) and i just backed up alittle more. i showed him put it back into nuetral then 4 low then park and turned it off. when i turned it back on i went to leave and was in 2wd. i emediatly turned the nob from 4 to 2 so into wouldnt shift back.

sorry for so much reading

what was the grinding?
did i ###### my transfercase?
need a new shifter motor?
shift Soloniod?

any help would be apprieciated because i need to get this figured out wheeling season is just starting and im scared that ill be permintly stuck in 4 if i put it into 4x4

:biggthump:thumbsup:SO PROUD OF MY EXPLORER THO:thumbsup::biggthump

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

come on no info?

yeah i read that and figured it was but just wanted to see what someone else thought. thanks

Hi I have a 2005 ford explorer v6 4.0l v6 SOHC an it has a vibration at 90kmh an it dosent stop unless I go slow like 80 it doesn't viberate well fantly it does but anything under 80 kmh she don't viberate at all runs good. In the front driveshaft area the output shaft to the transfer clase has little more play than it should would that cause a vibration I just changed all ujoints but as I was replacing them after they were all in one of them were very stiff I couldn't barely move them freely could that be the issue

Back