Driver's mirror wind whistle | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Driver's mirror wind whistle

I'm skeptical. Especially since the Sport seems to be the only model with the issue.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'd be very curious to see how replacing a part with an identical part would solve the issue. Not saying it won't, it just doesn't seem logical. :scratch:
I hope it does work for everyone with this issue. We already have enough vehicles 'whistling' down our highways.;)

Peter

Lets hope they recently had a defective batch or something. My 2011 Limited was whistle free!

My 2012 Limited was whistle free also.

I just purchased the 2013 Limited, with about 20k miles on it a few months ago. Now that it is warm out, I put my driver's window down and sure enough, whistling. So looks like the limited models can have it too.

Crystal, what should my next step be to have a dealer look at this?

I just purchased the 2013 Limited, with about 20k miles on it a few months ago. Now that it is warm out, I put my driver's window down and sure enough, whistling. So looks like the limited models can have it too.

Crystal, what should my next step be to have a dealer look at this?
Welcome to the Forum dankoos.:wavey:
You can take it back to the dealer and have them check it out or if you want to get Crystal involved, send her a PM using the following link;
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/private.php?do=newpm&u=157968
When you PM, be sure to include your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, mileage, and servicing dealership in your message.

Peter

I'm skeptical. Especially since the Sport seems to be the only model with the issue.

My 2014 Limited has the whistle. And while I want it fixed, I want to rear hatch area aligned properly first. Already took it in once and they made worse. The way the various trim parts around the back of my LTD line up, it looks like it was assembled by a blind person.

Update:

No mirror has been added yet

Ford asked my dealership to drive "like" vehicles and they were unable to hear the sound.

Ford is now asking that I drop my truck off for a day so they can do a couple of tests to pinpoint where on the mirror is producing the sound.

Dropping off Thursday.

Update:

Ford is now asking that I drop my truck off for a day so they can do a couple of tests to pinpoint where on the mirror is producing the sound.

Dropping off Thursday.

For me it was the top of the crack. I fiddled with it while driving and just a little bit of the top of the crack blocked with a finger stops the whistle. When stopped, I looked closely at that area with the mirror closed and couldn't find any suspicious sharp parts... :(

Top of the crack?

Crack = where it's separated from the base?

Just dropped my truck off at the dealership for their all day diagnostic tests.

Top of the crack?

Crack = where it's separated from the base?

Yes, the crack where the hinge is for when it folds in....

I am dropping mine off today I will also post my results. Due to lots of Rain we are getting here in Virginia. my Appt has been postponed until next Monday.

Update:

My mirror was replaced with another sport on the lot.
Day 1 sound appeared to be gone.

We've had rain since so I will have to test again on Friday.

Dealership believes it's the interior liner that was causing the issue.

Update for me. I had the dealership look at it and confirm the noise. There is a service bulletin regarding this issue. Mine still whistles, just not as bad as before but the issue is still there for me. Next time I have the vehicle serviced I will bring it up again.

I just noticed that mine does it on both driver and passenger mirrors. Passenger is harder to hear since it's on the other side, but I can hear it if I close the driver's window.

Update part 2: I took my Explorer back to the dealership today. Sat there all day they called me at 4:45 saying they can't replicate the whistle. Mind you I heard it all the way to the dealership this morning. The Manager is going to drive it tomorrow morning. Now tomorrow more than likely I am going to have to go there and replicate it myself. Any normal person can hear the whistle. Not sure if they just don't want to fix it because it's minor? Needless to say I'm now irritated about this now.

Keep pushing it was a battle for me.

Unfortunately I am now known as the picky one at the dealership and only one service person is ok dealing with me. That's all good as long as my issues get fixed.

I haven't been rude or mean but I've brought back my Ex when something was wrong each time. We pay enough and we should address any concerns we have.

So far I'm good no other issues. I love my Sport, loved my Limited also.

These are really nice vehicles some have issues get them addresses and move on.

It's not just Ford it's not just Explorers.

My boss has a very expensive ML 550 and her rear hatch doesn't line up and won't close/ open correctly it's been back and forth to the dealer going on 6 times now.

Be patient/ be persistent.

Thanks for the advice!! I agree we pay good money for these vehicles and want them to preform as they should. I haven't been rude or mean, because that doesn't get anything solved!!! Hopefully the manager will hear the noise today I also have it recorded on my phone as back up. So I am hopeful it will be solved in a timely manner.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It seemed to help that I had customer service calling as well and I mentioned the forum and others having problems.

Again - no new part was ordered but it seems like that is what needs to happen.

Back